The Need for WiFi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Need for WiFi?

I'm very interested in this (and in general integration IOT RESTful API WiFi devices into HS) -- thanks for building this!!

I run a setup whereby my HS3 is running strictly CAT6 on an isolated VLAN (ie. WiFi is hardware disabled in the linux config). It has routing to the WiFI VLAN, but it is not the same subnet. I understand the need for mDNS to get it set up, once a static IP has been obtained for the Sonoff device, will this plugin work OK?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm not sure what's your question? Do you want to use Sonoff devices without WiFi? That's not possible - they don't have Ethernet connection. That's the whole point of IoT devices - you don't need wiring!

If you want Ethernet devices - you should look for completely different type.

But if you are ok with WiFi - I recommend using Shelly devices instead - they are a bit dearer, but hundred times better. And they support authentication (if security is your concern).

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...ig-screenshots

Sonoff devices do support AES encryption, but not in REST mode.

Comment

The Sonoff devices would connect via WiFi obviously, but they would route to the HS3 which is not on the same VLAN (or has WiFi enabled). The question is really a technical one -- does the plugin require mDNS once it is setup, or can it rely on the IP address of the Sonoff device at hand?

I'm looking at Sonoff (or similar) devices because my switch of interest is beyond my Z-Wave range...and I have no intention of running CAT6 that far. Thanks for the link to Shelly, I'm all for more security. UL certification would be very nice to have. I suppose the same question applies to Shelly -- does the plugin require mDNS once it is setup, or can it rely on the IP address of the device at hand?

Comment

Originally posted by broberts666 View Post
        The Sonoff devices would connect via WiFi obviously, but they would route to the HS3 which is not on the same VLAN (or has WiFi enabled). The question is really a technical one -- does the plugin require mDNS once it is setup, or can it rely on the IP address of the Sonoff device at hand?

I'm looking at Sonoff (or similar) devices because my switch of interest is beyond my Z-Wave range...and I have no intention of running CAT6 that far. Thanks for the link to Shelly, I'm all for more security. UL certification would be very nice to have. I suppose the same question applies to Shelly -- does the plugin require mDNS once it is setup, or can it rely on the IP address of the device at hand?
        Ok, now I've got your question

Both Sonoff and Shelly plugins can work without mDNS - you can add devices manually by IP address.

But Sonoff use mDNS to broadcast status update. Again, you can use timer polling instead.

Shelly devices send json request for status update to the specified url, but again, if it doesn't work - timer polling should still work.

Comment

Thanks for the lightening fast reply! Any idea if Shelly has their UL sticker yet?

Comment

My own update. The one I just bought on eBay has a cULus on it -- perfect. Look forward to trying your plugin soon!

Comment

Thanks for the lightening fast reply! Any idea if Shelly has their UL sticker yet?
              I wouldn't buy on eBay - there are official stores
              https://www.amazon.com/stores/Shelly...3-3F80FDDC83D2
              https://shop.shelly.cloud/

And, yeah - most Shellies have UL certificates, check listing in official shop.

Comment

I'm looking at Sonoff (or similar) devices because my switch of interest is beyond my Z-Wave range...and I have no intention of running CAT6 that far. Thanks for the link to Shelly, I'm all for more security.
                I have full Z-Wave setup and I hate it, I'm afraid I will ditch my Z-Wave (not cheap) - and go Shelly.
                The only downside I guess - if you change WiFi SSID or password - it's too much work re-configuring each device. I'm thinking about implementing some kind of batch update in my plugin.

And BTW, the beauty of mDNS - if DHCP changes the device IP - the plugin will discover the new IP and re-configure existing device automatically.

Comment

The counter point would be Z-Wave has nice features like double and triple tap, LED status and are super easy to wire up and include without needing to pull out the wire strippers.

I'm not a big fan of mDNS. I run segmented VLANs with everyone on HA locked down to an IP. I unfortunately need to run a Bonjour bridge for some printer devices which don't think about a bigger network...

Anyway I really look forward to trying out your plugin! PS eBay allows you to buy just one when all you need is one...

Comment

The counter point would be Z-Wave has nice features like double and triple tap, LED status and are super easy to wire up and include without needing to pull out the wire strippers.
                    I don't think it's Z-Wave feature as such - it's more the particular device feature, i.e. Shelly devices support "long push" too. Same for wiring - has nothing to do with the comms protocol.

I'm not a big fan of mDNS. I run segmented VLANs with everyone on HA locked down to an IP. I unfortunately need to run a Bonjour bridge for some printer devices which don't think about a bigger network...
                    I like mDNS - devices and plugins without mDNS support are difficult to setup for non-technical users. I think mDNS is a great invention - just install the plugin - and it discovers the devices automatically.

The only problem I found - many device manufacturers don't implement mDNS properly, so it's still a pain for me to adjust my mDNS for each plugin.

Anyway I really look forward to trying out your plugin! PS eBay allows you to buy just one when all you need is one...
                    Just remember that usually manufacturers don't support warranty if you buy on eBay. And you can buy only one on Amazon or Shelly shop, why not?

Comment

And with mDNS you don't need to set static IP - my plugins detect IP address change and reconfigure the devices automatically.

But if you don't like mDNS (or it doesn't work) - all my plugins do support manual device creation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Start - Copy.png
Views:	297
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1373058

Comment

Working...
                      X