Wireless tags wireless motion, temperature and humidity sensors integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless tags wireless motion, temperature and humidity sensors integration

Wireless tags http://wirelesstag.net/ are wireless battery powered sensors for motion, temperature and humidity that are reliable (I'm using them for 3+ years). Coin type batteries last 1+ years.
    I'll explain below how to integrate them in HS3 easily using Big5 plug-in.

Each of the sensors can be setup to produce HTTP call like this one (real life example from my sensors) on pre scheduled interval or when temperature changes or motion is detected.

192.168.1.242:84/wireless.asp?temp=25.238101747300856&name=T1&event=0&hilo=1& hum=53.1583251953125

Where temp and hum are temperature and humidity readings event is motion sensing and hilo is reading about temperature crossing two thresholds for low and hi temperature.

All you need to do is go to Big5 setup page and setup http profile like this

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (6).png Views:	1 Size:	384.6 KB ID:	1248195

Basically you specify the URL address and VERY IMPORTANT the field that will provide the name. This field will be used for naming HS3 devices
    Do not check "locked" in the beginning. Let Big5 create your HS3 devices for all sensors first. You may "lock" it thereafter to prevent new devices being created by occasional "noise" or tests you do with different sensors. Check "listen" mode. This is important and distinguishes input vs output modes.

That's all you need to do. Big5 will "listen" to the specified port and will automatically create/update HS3 devices each time it receives the HTTP call from the sensors.
    Here is a screenshot of the HS3 devices created (the names of my sensors are T7, T6, T5, etc.
    Last edited by risquare; September 19, 2018, 10:21 AM.

here is the HS3 devices screenshot

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (8).png
Views:	923
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1248198

Comment

how do you ''lock'' a listening profil (server). There are no ways that i am aware to stop the server ( to then.. save the changes)

Comment

Do you know if I can use a tag for presence detection? Will this affect battery life to much?

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
          how do you ''lock'' a listening profil (server). There are no ways that i am aware to stop the server ( to then.. save the changes)
          You "lock" the listening profile by checking the "lock" box. This will prevent Big5 from creating new devices. However Big5 will keep updating the existing devices if there is incoming flow of information.

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
            Do you know if I can use a tag for presence detection? Will this affect battery life to much?
            They do have motion sensors/tags that are NOT reliable. They have design flaw that causes poor battery contacts thus the sensor dies on you from time to time. You need to remove it from the wall and shake it vigorously to bring it back to life or open it and remove and re-insert the battery. Annoying. I have $400 worth of such sensors laying around that I de-commissioned.
            As far as their temperature/humidity sensor goes, it does work. It has build-in compass so it can sense movements if the sensor itself is moved. So if you install it on a door it will sense the door movement, but that's about it and yes it will affect the battery life.

Comment

I am looking for a device to monitor tempature and humidity in 6 areas of my house (crawl space, garage, storage room, 2 bedrooms, and just an outside sensor to see what the temp is). I have had a hard time finding a device that logs this info to a chart so I can go back and look at a whole week or month of data. Would this system be a good solution for the needs that I have? I am open to input if there is a better solution that would be a part of HomeSeer. Thanks!

Comment

Coincidentally, while cleaning out my garage last week I came across this kit I'd bought several years ago and never used.
                I think the reason I'd given up on this is that the interface was cloud based and I wanted absolutely nothing to do with that.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I'm using the wireless tag sensors with Big5 plug-in for temperature/humidity measuring and monitoring in 7 zones in one house and 5 zones in another house for over a year now. Everything works nicely and reliably. As I posted above their motion sensors are unreliable but everything is fine with the temperature/humidity sensors. I do not see a big problem with the cloud as the temperature in my basement for example is not a secret that hackers from all over the world die to know. Actually it helps for monitoring different homes that are far apart as in my case. Big5 will put all the information in HS3 devices for you. From there you can do whatever you want with the information. I for example use it to run my HVAC so they are part of my virtual thermostats. Big5 will not keep historical data and charts for you. If history and charts are important to you than you have two options. WirelessTag have their own solution that is neat, free and available for PC and smart phones. There is HS3 plug-in for charting but I never tried it and can't remember the name either. In case you or others are serious about it here is a practical advise how to do it.

1. Make sure all tags have fresh batteries.
                  2. Make sure that the gateway device (tag manager they may call it) is on and connected to the Internet.
                  3. Go to https://www.mytaglist.com/eth/ and create an account (free) and use the + to add all of your sensors one by one.
                  4. Click the green button at the bottom called "Kumo apps"
                  5. Click "design your own" link to the far right.
                  6. Use this code

var tags = <#tags_[12|13]_N#>;
                  tags.forEach(
                  function (tag) {
                  tag.updated = function () {
                  var url = <%URL%>+(tag.temperature*9.0/5.0+32.0).toFixed(1)+"&name="+tag.name+"&hum="+tag.moisture. toFixed(0);
                  KumoApp.httpCall(url, "GET");
                  KumoApp.Log(url);
                  //KumoApp.httpCall(this.name+": temperature="+this.temperature+", rssi="+this.rssi+", txpwr="+this.txpwr);
                  };
                  });

Name it and save it.

7. Press the "configure" button at the bottom. Enter this URL to indicate where you want your data to be sent to. For the example below it is http://192.168.1.242:84/wireless.asp?temp=

8. Start the new Kumo app that you just created. It will produce output like that.

192.168.1.242:83/wireless.asp?temp=76.1&name=T1&hum=46.2

9. Setup HTTP Big5 profile in HS3

Check the "listen" box
                  Method : GET
                  URL: http://192.168.1.242:84/wireless.asp (for the example above. Use your own URL here)
                  ID Parameter: name

10. Find your temperature and humidity readings in HS3 devices named

Floor: Big5
                  Room: HTTP
                  Names: Sensors-T1-Temp and Sensors-T1-Hum

where "Sensors" is the name of your Big5 profile (you can choose anything)
                  where "T1" is the name of your first sensor (you can choose anything)
                  "Temp" and "Hum" are hard coded in your Kumo app (see above) and are not subject to change

Comment

Hi

Thank you for your excellent writeup. I am not very familiar with Kumo app or Big5 so if you dont mind clarifying some questions I had.

I have sucesssfully st up several wireless tags and associated them with my account.

When I design my own Kumo app, do I just then copy the code you have above? or do I need to substitute anything in the code specifically for my system? what is wireless.asp?

Then I set up the Big5 HTTP profile , do I then have to set up an event in HS3? or will the devices automatically update?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comment

No. You don't need to modify the Kumo app. Customization happens at the next step see 7. above. wireless.asp? is a name that Kumo produces automatically.
                      Big5 updates devices automatically. You don't need to create any HS3 events for that.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
                        No. You don't need to modify the Kumo app. Customization happens at the next step see 7. above. wireless.asp? is a name that Kumo produces automatically.
                        Big5 updates devices automatically. You don't need to create any HS3 events for that.
                        Thank you for the response.
                        I tried installing everything as to your instructions but the kumo app gives me the following error in the log

Jurassic.JavaScriptException: Error: Invalid URI: Invalid port specified. ---> System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: Invalid port specified. at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind) at MyTagList.SingleShotIRC.EthCallURL(String nickto, String url) in C:\z560_backup\MyTagList\MyTagList\SingleShotIRC.cs:line 1118 at MyTagList.KumoAppEngine.UtilityFunctions.httpCall(String url, String verb, String content, String tagManagerName) in C:\z560_backup\MyTagList\KumoApp\KumoAppEngine\UtilityFuncti ons.cs:line 459 --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at MyTagList.KumoAppEngine.UtilityFunctions.httpCall(String url, String verb, String content, String tagManagerName) in C:\z560_backup\MyTagList\KumoApp\KumoAppEngine\UtilityFuncti ons.cs:line 471 at binder_for_MyTagList.KumoAppEngine.UtilityFunctions.httpCall (ScriptEngine , Object , Object[] ) at Jurassic.Library.ClrFunction.CallLateBound(Object thisObject, Object[] arguments) in C:\z560_backup\jurassic_0336599937d3\Jurassic\Library\Functi on\ClrFunction.cs:line 191 at Jurassic.Library.FunctionInstance.CallWithStackTrace(String path, String function, Int32 line, Object thisObject, Object[] argumentValues) in C:\z560_backup\jurassic_0336599937d3\Jurassic\Library\Functi on\FunctionInstance.cs:line 195 at anonymous(ScriptEngine , Scope , Object , FunctionInstance , Object[] ) at Jurassic.Library.UserDefinedFunction.CallLateBound(Object thisObject, Object[] argumentValues) in C:\z560_backup\jurassic_0336599937d3\Jurassic\Library\Functi on\UserDefinedFunction.cs:line 242 at MyTagList.KumoAppEngine.Tag.b__17_0(String json) in C:\z560_backup\MyTagList\KumoApp\KumoAppEngine\Tag.cs:line 1608/3/2019 10:06 PMApp has been started successfully.

I have attached some images of my setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	k1.PNG
Views:	754
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1319140Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.PNG
Views:	683
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	1319141Click image for larger version

Name:	k3.PNG
Views:	670
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	1319142 ​​​​​​​

Comment

I can't comment on the Kumo app. It does work for me. Send it to support at the vendor and see what their response would be. I'm not a programmer and I have created it looking at their multiple examples. They helped me finishing it up by providing C-->F conversion and rounding.
                          They are responsive however they have this annoying automated ticket system that you have to live with.

On the settings I'd recommend to replace "localhost" with 0.0.0.0 . in both kumo app and Big5. Not guaranteed that it will help but worth a try.
                          VERY IMPORTANT check the "listening" box of your Big5 profile. Big5 acts as a web server when this box is checked. This is exactly what you need. Won't work ever if this box is unchecked.
                          Put the word "name" in the ID parameter box. It will allow one Big5 profile to serve multiple sensors with unique name each.
                          Finally you can check that your Big5 setup is correct if you send out this request from any web browser on your LAN.

192.168.1.242:83/wireless.asp?temp=76.1&name=T1&hum=46.2

Replace the URL before /wireless with the URL of your HS3 computer where Big5 is running

Experiment with different names like T1, T2, T3 etc. Big5 should create HS3 devices for each name. When you get this part working than the Kumo app will be the last barrier and I'm sure You'll get the help from the vendor.

Comment

Oooops. Sorry. It seems that your Big5 profile is correct. I was looking at the blank one below it.

Comment

P.S. Noticed a button at the bottom of Kumo web page "get a link to install it". did you click on it and did you get it installed?

Comment

Working...
                              X