Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get local weather data by Big5 and API (no equipment needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. No it will not change as it is related to other important functionality.
    2. No it doesn't make your HTTP profile obsolete as the profile tells Big5 how to process the incoming data and what HS3 devices to create.
    3. It works for me perfectly as far as temperature readings. You may play with the device settings in HS3 in the tab "status graphics". Also decimal dot vs decimal comma that is used in Europe may have something to do with it. Just guessing.
    4. Yes. In order to update the values you need to trigger your HS3 event periodically.

Comment

I think you are right with the dot and the comma. In europe the comma is that what in usa is the dot.
      I found a link explaining the settings for windows, works perfectly now. after changing settings hs has to be restarted for taking effect.
      here is the link for anyone who is interested in perhaps having the same problem:
      https://resrequest.helpspot.com/inde...kb.page&id=279

Comment

I have this in place and the weather is updating on a schedule. I was having problems with it showing rain amounts on a nice sunny day. As it turns out openweathermap does not send a rain=0 element when there is no rain. For example if I pull a forecast right now there is no rain 0. My devices in HomeSeer are showing the old value from when there was rain. I just wanted to let everyone know to watch out for this. I'm planning on zeroing out the rain and snow values before I call the API.

Comment

I'm having trouble pulling the Weather Main & Description. It's only pulling 0. This is what I have...

JSON(input, “weather.0.main") && JSON(input, "weather.0.description") && JSON(input, "main.temp") && JSON(input, "main.pressure") && JSON(input, "main.humidity") && JSON(input, "main.temp_min") && JSON(input, "main.temp_max") && JSON(input, "wind.speed") && JSON(input, "name")

This is from the API...
          weather
          id 803
          main "Clouds"
          description "broken clouds"
          icon "04d"
          I'm sure my syntax is wrong. Can someone help me with it?

Comment

Try "weather[0].main"
            Always test your RegEx in RegEx sandbox before using them. The sandbox is available at HS3-->Plugins-->Big5-->Documentation.
            RegEx format to use in the sandbox is ${ body } .
            After you verify your RegEx you strip ${ } and use only body in the Big5 profile setup.

Comment

I got this up and running, and so far it's working pretty well. The default station nearest to my house appears to have bad data, so I adjusted the lat/lon to somewhere close by with more accurate data. However, I am having a problem with retrieving the rain data. When there has been rain in the last 1 or 3 hours, I can get data for rain.1h and rain.3h. But when there is no rain, I get this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture7.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1326707
              Here is a screenshot of when the JSON file had a rain value of 0.51mm for 1 hour (different lat/lon):

Name:	Capture8.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1326708

How can I fix this? I noticed that the JSON file does not include rain data at all if it is 0. So Big5 can't simply retrieve the "0" value for rain. Is there a way to insert an if statement, so that if the data is not there, it will insert a "0" as the device value?

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
                I got this up and running, and so far it's working pretty well. The default station nearest to my house appears to have bad data, so I adjusted the lat/lon to somewhere close by with more accurate data. However, I am having a problem with retrieving the rain data. When there has been rain in the last 1 or 3 hours, I can get data for rain.1h and rain.3h. But when there is no rain, I get this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture7.JPG Views:	0 Size:	18.2 KB ID:	1326707
                Here is a screenshot of when the JSON file had a rain value of 0.51mm for 1 hour (different lat/lon):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture8.JPG Views:	0 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	1326708

How can I fix this? I noticed that the JSON file does not include rain data at all if it is 0. So Big5 can't simply retrieve the "0" value for rain. Is there a way to insert an if statement, so that if the data is not there, it will insert a "0" as the device value?
                Yes, you can wrap the JSON call with an IF statement. However we really need to see your input string to determine what the correct syntax should be. Likely it would look something like this:

Code:
                If (RegExMatch(input, "1h"),JSON_num(input, "rain.[0]")/25.4 ,0)
                Paste the JSON input string that you are getting back from the weather service and we'll take a better look at it.

--Barry

Comment

I found a new location that had rain in the 1 hour field, but not the 3 hour field...not sure how that is possible since rain in the last hour also is rain in the last 3 hours, but whatever. Here is the input file:

Code:
                  {"coord":{"lon":-107.01,"lat":37.27},"weather":[{"id":502,"main":"Rain","description":"heavy intensity rain","icon":"10n"},{"id":701,"main":"Mist","description":"mist","icon":"50n"}],"base":"stations","main":{"temp":52,"pressure":1028,"humidity":100,"temp_min":48,"temp_max":54},"visibility":6437,"wind":{"speed":3.36,"deg":340},"rain":{"1h":0.76},"clouds":{"all":90},"dt":1568608922,"sys":{"type":1,"id":5411,"message":0.0092,"country":"US","sunrise":1568551801,"sunset":1568596609},"timezone":-21600,"id":5433784,"name":"Pagosa Springs","cod":200}
                  Here are the devices that are being created by Big5, using the code above:

Name:	Capture9.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1326800

The JSON calls are identical for both devices, with the exception of rain.1h and rain.3h:

Code:
                  JSON(input, "main.temp") && JSON(input, "main.humidity") && JSON(input, "main.pressure") && JSON(input, "wind.speed") && JSON(input, "wind.deg") && JSON(input, "weather[0].main") && JSON(input, "weather[0].description") && JSON(input, "clouds.all") && JSON(input, "weather[0].icon") && JSON_NUM(input, "rain.1h")/25.4 && JSON_NUM(input, "rain.3h")/25.4 && JSON(input, "name")
                  Thanks for looking at this.

Comment

I found a new location that had rain in the 1 hour field, but not the 3 hour field...not sure how that is possible since rain in the last hour also is rain in the last 3 hours, but whatever. ...

Thanks for looking at this
                    No problem... Sometimes these can get confusing and a fresh set of eyes helps.

Here you go, one for the 1h total and one for the 3h total:

Code:
                    If (RegExMatch(input, "1h"),round(JSON_num(input, "rain.1h")/25.4,2),0)

If (RegExMatch(input, "3h"),round(JSON_num(input, "rain.3h")/25.4,2),0)
                    This will return the converted rain total rounded to 2 places past the decimal if a total exists. If no total exists, it will simply return 0.

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post

No problem... Sometimes these can get confusing and a fresh set of eyes helps.

Here you go, one for the 1h total and one for the 3h total:

Code:
                      If (RegExMatch(input, "1h"),round(JSON_num(input, "rain.1h")/25.4,2),0)

If (RegExMatch(input, "3h"),round(JSON_num(input, "rain.3h")/25.4,2),0)
                      This will return the converted rain total rounded to 2 places past the decimal if a total exists. If no total exists, it will simply return 0.

--Barry
                      Thanks Barry. Can I paste this code into the middle of the current JSON call, or does it need to be a separate call?

Comment

Thanks Barry. Can I paste this code into the middle of the current JSON call, or does it need to be a separate call?
                        Yes, you can paste them in the existing call and replace the other two.

--Barry

Comment

Working...
                        X