Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy Geo Fence with "Geofency" and Big5

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by rpeterkin View Post

    I agree. PHLocation2 works very well with Geofency but it looks like support for PHLocation2 is dead. Big5 looks like a great alternative but having to open a port in the firewall was a turn off for me. Decided to add a Virtual Device for each of my geofence locations and used Geofency’s webhook GET (not POST) to set the device to Inside/Outside.

    http://<ip address>:<port>/JSON?request=controldevicebyvalue&ref=268&value=0

    http://<ip address>:<port>/JSON?request=controldevicebyvalue&ref=268&value=100
    Not clear from your post here how do you update your HS device from GeoFency. Yes, replacing POST with GET is possible and Big5 can handle either one nicely. In either case GeoFency produces JSON that needs to be parsed to get the real location. It's unclear from your post how are you doing it. The two lines that you show are certainly not doing it.
    The difference between POST and GET is that in the first case GeoFency will notify HomeSeer when you cross the GeoFence. Only one communication per crossing. In the GET case you have to setup a recurring HS event to constantly check your location with a frequency that is acceptable to you say once every minute. This would be 1440 times per day. This will not break the neck of HomeSeer, however I personally try avoiding such recurring events when I can as they clog the logs.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by risquare View Post
      I personally try avoiding such recurring events when I can as they clog the logs.
      ??? - You can disable event logging per event!

      Jon

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by risquare View Post
        The two lines that you show are certainly not doing it.
        Yes they do, through HS native JSON control interface.

        https://homeseer.com/support/homesee...nk/default.htm

        The difference between POST and GET is that in the first case GeoFency will notify HomeSeer when you cross the GeoFence. Only one communication per crossing. In the GET case you have to setup a recurring HS event to constantly check your location
        This is incorrect, and utter nonsense.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by risquare View Post

          Not clear from your post here how do you update your HS device from GeoFency. Yes, replacing POST with GET is possible and Big5 can handle either one nicely. In either case GeoFency produces JSON that needs to be parsed to get the real location. It's unclear from your post how are you doing it. The two lines that you show are certainly not doing it.
          The difference between POST and GET is that in the first case GeoFency will notify HomeSeer when you cross the GeoFence. Only one communication per crossing. In the GET case you have to setup a recurring HS event to constantly check your location with a frequency that is acceptable to you say once every minute. This would be 1440 times per day. This will not break the neck of HomeSeer, however I personally try avoiding such recurring events when I can as they clog the logs.
          Nope, Geofency sends the GET request only once, when you exit a geofence and again, when you enter the geofence. I could use POST but the JSON data is not in the format Homeseer is expecting it. The Homeseer Server uses the parameters in the URL to satisfy the GET HTTP Method (in this case 'controldevicebyvalue') sent by GeoFency at time of entry/exit. Testing shows that Homeseer returns some data which I believe is ignored by Geofency.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by rpeterkin View Post

            Nope, Geofency sends the GET request only once, when you exit a geofence and again, when you enter the geofence. I could use POST but the JSON data is not in the format Homeseer is expecting it. The Homeseer Server uses the parameters in the URL to satisfy the GET HTTP Method (in this case 'controldevicebyvalue') sent by GeoFency at time of entry/exit. Testing shows that Homeseer returns some data which I believe is ignored by Geofency.
            Agreed. Sorry I've got confused for a moment. Doing too many things at once.

            Comment


              #21
              Didn’t want to advertise something else here.. but yeah I also simply sent http get to a device directly via vpn (works via myhs at my mom’s place too).

              The advantage of big5 here would be that you can easily parse the json coming from geofency...so it has the potential to get more info vs only updating a virtual device with two values


              Attached Files

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                Didn’t want to advertise something else here.. but yeah I also simply sent http get to a device directly via vpn (works via myhs at my mom’s place too).

                The advantage of big5 here would be that you can easily parse the json coming from geofency...so it has the potential to get more info vs only updating a virtual device with two values

                What URL are you using to connect via MyHs?

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Bigstevep View Post

                  What URL are you using to connect via MyHs?
                  I haven't tried this but I believe it's connected2.homeseer.com. So your URL should look something like this:

                  https://connected2.homeseer.com/JSON...=285&value=100

                  Of course you'll have to have an account set up.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Can Geofency work directly through HS4 using the webhook setting?

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
                      Can Geofency work directly through HS4 using the webhook setting?
                      Yes

                      Comment


                        #26
                        rpeterkin Can you tell me how to set that up so that it works directly with HS? Is this using Big5?

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I have made a pdf for this .

                          No, you can directly send the http get request from geofency to your hs install via myhs .

                          Tonight I will try to find the pdf again. But ,if you want to search, it is in the phlocation2 thread .

                          Comment


                            #28
                            MattL0 I found it thanks! Brilliant! I have been testing out geofency this week and so far it is very accurate. Just a side note....it isn't free anymore. Costs $6.99.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              This is awesome! I have a number of locations also setup and I have them all on each virtual presence device. So I have Home=1, Away=0, Work=2, etc. How do I make a push notification to incorporate the device location as a variable? See device below:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	screencapture-192-168-1-15-8000-devices-html-2020-10-23-15_28_24.png
Views:	53
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1428129

                              Comment


                                #30
                                You'll need the pushover 3p addon as well as a push client on your phone
                                HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                                Number of Devices: 449
                                Number of Events: 210

                                Plug-Ins: Arduino, BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, WeatherXML, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

                                External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X