RS232 or IP control of Martin Logan MDA-16 Zoned Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS232 or IP control of Martin Logan MDA-16 Zoned Amp

Hi there! I'm a prolific Homeseer user but I've never got as deep as scripting or http commands etc. Having seen all the recent announcements with Sonos I've decided that I want to move away from propriatary systems and have a simple zoned amp distribution system with a single inexpensive 'brain' that can be changed as technology moves on. I've seen a Martin Logan MDA-16 amp that looks ideal for my needs :

https://www.martinlogan.com/uploads/...ual%20rev2.pdf

"The RS-232 connection allows connection to a compatible control system. The control system should be configured to use 115200/8-N-1, no flow control, protocol. The cable connection should be one to one."

It then goes on to provide a full table of serial commands, such as:
    ZxPOWy Set zone x power.
    x=zone: 0 (all), 1=zone 1 ../. 8=zone 8
    to y:
    0=off
    1=on
    t=toggle.
    When unit is in 1/2W standby mode, it may be necessary to send the power-on command twice. Ex:"Z0POW1;Z0POW1;". The first instance is the wake-up from low-power state. Note that Zx=Z0 applies only to power command.
    ZxPOW? returns ZxPOWy

Z0POW? returns ZxPOWy for all zones (Z1POWy;Z2POWy;Z3PO…;Z8POWy
    Before I purchase, can I confirm that I will definitely be able to control using HS3 + Big5?

Is it as simple as buying a usb to serial cable and scripting the commands I need to use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The answer is YES as far as Big5 is concerned. I'm using Big5 to control several legacy systems and it works reliably. I'm using both USB to serial cable/converter for the systems that are in the same room as HS3 and IP to Serial servers from "Helo Devices" f.k.a. Sena for the systems that are in a remote to HS3 location. Both technologies work great.

Comment

Since scripting is going to be needed to facilitate the use case then what advantage does Big5 add? This seems like straightforward serial communication to me using the .NET serial library. If Big5 added the bidirectional communication between the amp and HS without events and without scripting then this would be a value added.

Comment

No scripting necessary. Big 5 is made for non programmers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevemeck View Post
          Hi there! I'm a prolific Homeseer user but I've never got as deep as scripting or http commands etc. Having seen all the recent announcements with Sonos I've decided that I want to move away from propriatary systems and have a simple zoned amp distribution system with a single inexpensive 'brain' that can be changed as technology moves on. I've seen a Martin Logan MDA-16 amp that looks ideal for my needs :

!
          That brain is not that inexpensive

---
          John

Comment

Thanks very much for the responses. It sounds like it’s a safe bet that I’ll be able to achieve full control.

@risqaure, no scripting sounds great but how is this simplified from pure scripting? (re. Michael's point above I guess some will be needed no matter what?) Would you mind setting out the basic steps I’d need to take to achieve this with Big 5?

Comment

@John true it’s expensive but the amplifier isn’t the brain, it’s a one off purchase that can have up to 8 audio feeds though we'll only need one (e.g just one brain such as Sonos Port) as we only ever listen to one source across all zones. This will also provide a big improvement in sound quality, and completely remove any connectivity issues born from wireless streaming.

Comment

Stevemeck

Per your request h​​​​ere are the simple steps. It's really easy.

1. Setup Big5 Serial profile say named "MDA"
                2. Create HS3 event using Big5 Serial action
                3. Put the desired command in the action box say Z2POW1 (to power up zone 2 in this example)

That's all. Now you can control your MDA from HS3.

If you want to get the feedback from your MDA into HS3 devices that's possible too. In Big5 MDA profile

4. Setup your "Device value expression" to this

Substring(input, 6, 1)

5. Setup your "Device Name expression" to this

"Channel"+Substring(input, 2, 1)

6. Issue a command Z2POW? (to get the status of channel 2 for example)

If everything is done properly than you should see a HS3 device in floor: Big5 Room: Serial Name: Channel2 Value: (whatever your amplifier returns)

I have not tested any of the above. I always recommend that you test any expressions in the sandbox available at Big5 documentation. Wrap them in ${..} wrapper before testing.

You can read and learn more at Big5 documentation available at big5.ivanv.com

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevemeck View Post
                  Thanks very much for the responses. It sounds like it’s a safe bet that I’ll be able to achieve full control.

@risqaure, no scripting sounds great but how is this simplified from pure scripting? (re. Michael's point above I guess some will be needed no matter what?) Would you mind setting out the basic steps I’d need to take to achieve this with Big 5?
                  Stevemeck
                  Why are you not going for the IP commands?

---

John

Comment

The amp will sit in a rack alongside my HS server, so I guess I like the idea of direct cable (rather than IP routing). I'm trying to move to a working principle of useing wires wherever possible!

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
                      Stevemeck

Per your request h​​​​ere are the simple steps. It's really easy.

1. Setup Big5 Serial profile say named "MDA"
                      2. Create HS3 event using Big5 Serial action
                      3. Put the desired command in the action box say Z2POW1 (to power up zone 2 in this example)

That's all. Now you can control your MDA from HS3.

If you want to get the feedback from your MDA into HS3 devices that's possible too. In Big5 MDA profile

4. Setup your "Device value expression" to this

Substring(input, 6, 1)

5. Setup your "Device Name expression" to this

"Channel"+Substring(input, 2, 1)

6. Issue a command Z2POW? (to get the status of channel 2 for example)

If everything is done properly than you should see a HS3 device in floor: Big5 Room: Serial Name: Channel2 Value: (whatever your amplifier returns)

I have not tested any of the above. I always recommend that you test any expressions in the sandbox available at Big5 documentation. Wrap them in ${..} wrapper before testing.

You can read and learn more at Big5 documentation available at big5.ivanv.com

Good luck.
                      Thanks very much! This I'm sure will get me started. Does the use of Big 5 save much then over a 'manual' approach?

Comment

Going back to manual is always an option. For example I go to my media room now and say "O.K.Google TV time" and everything is setup - lights, projector, audio, channel. I can do this manually by flipping some switches and fumbling with few remote controls. I prefer not to but it is always an option.

Comment

OK, I now have the amp. Risquare I thought I would give IP control a go and I realise I'm immediately out of my depth despite your instructions above! I got as far as adding the TCP profile but even then I'm not sure it's working correctly as status is showing as Not Connected:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 13.43.14.png
Views:	374
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1364787

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 14.02.51.png
Views:	342
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	1364788

The full IP/232 guidelines can be found at:

MDX IP RS232

Can anyone walk me through the steps for IP control?

Comment

I thought you're using RS232 (serial) interface to control your amplifier. All instructions above are for RS232 Serial. You need to delete your TCP profile in Big5 and create Serial profile instead per the instructions above.

Comment

Good morning. Thanks for responding so quickly. Your right I did, but it's more important that I locate the amp more centrally in the house (to minimise speaker cable runs)! As a result IP control is needed..

Comment

Working...
                              X