Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevemeck
    replied
    Thanks. I've tried with Persistent flag on and off and get the same outcome.

Leave a comment:

• risquare
    replied
    Try checking the "persistent" box in the TCP profile. It seems that Big5 sends out the control message fine. It drops the connection immediately thereafter most likely and not getting the response back. The "persistent" is made specifically for situations like that.

Leave a comment:

• Stevemeck
    replied
    I've also tried direct commands e.g. Z1INP04, which should put zone 1 on input 4 (then return a confirmation), with no joy:
    Feb-21 22:24:18 Big5 [TcpConnection] Reusing existing outgoing TCP connection
    Feb-21 22:24:18 Big5 [TcpConnection] [TCP TCP hostname 192.168.1.67, port 14999 OUT]: Z1INP04
    Feb-21 22:24:18 Big5 [Big5 Plugin] message = Z1INP04
    Feb-21 22:24:18 Big5 [Big5 Plugin] profile = 621257
    Feb-21 22:24:18 Big5 [Big5 Plugin] type = TCP
    Feb-21 22:24:18 Big5 [Big5 Plugin] Debugging dictionary with 3 keys
    Feb-21 22:24:18 Event Event Trigger "Sonos Test Anthem"

Leave a comment:

• Stevemeck
    replied
    Thanks again. OK, so I've done that;

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 22.07.32.png Views:	1 Size:	384.0 KB ID:	1364934
    Is there anything else I need to do for TCP Profile? I think the port number 14999 is OK. I read it's the default on the amp and if use a different port number I get an error e.g:

"(TcpConnection) No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.1.67:14998"

Whereas no error with 14999.

With the following event (which should return power status of all amp zones):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 22.12.55.png Views:	1 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	1364935

I get the following in log:
    Feb-21 22:10:21 Big5 [TcpConnection] [TCP TCP hostname 192.168.1.67, port 14999 OUT]: Z0POW?
    Feb-21 22:10:21 Big5 [Big5 Plugin] message = Z0POW?
    Feb-21 22:10:21 Big5 [Big5 Plugin] profile = 621257
    Feb-21 22:10:21 Big5 [Big5 Plugin] type = TCP
    Feb-21 22:10:21 Big5 [Big5 Plugin] Debugging dictionary with 3 keys
    Feb-21 22:10:21 Event Event Trigger "Test Anthem"
    But then nothing. Any idea what I'm missing?

Leave a comment:

• risquare
    replied
    That's fine. Instructions do not change. Same setup for TCP profile. However make sure that you do NOT check the box "listening" in Big5 TCP profile. Big5 will act as TCP clinet in this case and your amplifier will be the TCP server.

Leave a comment:

• Stevemeck
    replied
    Good morning. Thanks for responding so quickly. Your right I did, but it's more important that I locate the amp more centrally in the house (to minimise speaker cable runs)! As a result IP control is needed..

Leave a comment:

• risquare
    replied
    I thought you're using RS232 (serial) interface to control your amplifier. All instructions above are for RS232 Serial. You need to delete your TCP profile in Big5 and create Serial profile instead per the instructions above.

Leave a comment:

• Stevemeck
    replied
    OK, I now have the amp. Risquare I thought I would give IP control a go and I realise I'm immediately out of my depth despite your instructions above! I got as far as adding the TCP profile but even then I'm not sure it's working correctly as status is showing as Not Connected:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 13.43.14.png
Views:	379
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1364787

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 14.02.51.png
Views:	346
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	1364788

The full IP/232 guidelines can be found at:

MDX IP RS232

Can anyone walk me through the steps for IP control?

Leave a comment:

• risquare
    replied
    Going back to manual is always an option. For example I go to my media room now and say "O.K.Google TV time" and everything is setup - lights, projector, audio, channel. I can do this manually by flipping some switches and fumbling with few remote controls. I prefer not to but it is always an option.

Leave a comment:

• Stevemeck
    replied
    Originally posted by risquare View Post
    Stevemeck

Per your request h​​​​ere are the simple steps. It's really easy.

1. Setup Big5 Serial profile say named "MDA"
    2. Create HS3 event using Big5 Serial action
    3. Put the desired command in the action box say Z2POW1 (to power up zone 2 in this example)

That's all. Now you can control your MDA from HS3.

If you want to get the feedback from your MDA into HS3 devices that's possible too. In Big5 MDA profile

4. Setup your "Device value expression" to this

Substring(input, 6, 1)

5. Setup your "Device Name expression" to this

"Channel"+Substring(input, 2, 1)

6. Issue a command Z2POW? (to get the status of channel 2 for example)

If everything is done properly than you should see a HS3 device in floor: Big5 Room: Serial Name: Channel2 Value: (whatever your amplifier returns)

I have not tested any of the above. I always recommend that you test any expressions in the sandbox available at Big5 documentation. Wrap them in ${..} wrapper before testing.

You can read and learn more at Big5 documentation available at big5.ivanv.com

Good luck.
    Thanks very much! This I'm sure will get me started. Does the use of Big 5 save much then over a 'manual' approach?

Leave a comment:

• Stevemeck
    replied
    The amp will sit in a rack alongside my HS server, so I guess I like the idea of direct cable (rather than IP routing). I'm trying to move to a working principle of useing wires wherever possible!

Leave a comment:

• John245
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevemeck View Post
    Thanks very much for the responses. It sounds like it’s a safe bet that I’ll be able to achieve full control.

@risqaure, no scripting sounds great but how is this simplified from pure scripting? (re. Michael's point above I guess some will be needed no matter what?) Would you mind setting out the basic steps I’d need to take to achieve this with Big 5?
    Stevemeck
    Why are you not going for the IP commands?

---

John

Leave a comment:

• risquare
    replied
    Stevemeck

Per your request h​​​​ere are the simple steps. It's really easy.

1. Setup Big5 Serial profile say named "MDA"
    2. Create HS3 event using Big5 Serial action
    3. Put the desired command in the action box say Z2POW1 (to power up zone 2 in this example)

That's all. Now you can control your MDA from HS3.

If you want to get the feedback from your MDA into HS3 devices that's possible too. In Big5 MDA profile

4. Setup your "Device value expression" to this

Substring(input, 6, 1)

5. Setup your "Device Name expression" to this

"Channel"+Substring(input, 2, 1)

6. Issue a command Z2POW? (to get the status of channel 2 for example)

If everything is done properly than you should see a HS3 device in floor: Big5 Room: Serial Name: Channel2 Value: (whatever your amplifier returns)

I have not tested any of the above. I always recommend that you test any expressions in the sandbox available at Big5 documentation. Wrap them in ${..} wrapper before testing.

You can read and learn more at Big5 documentation available at big5.ivanv.com

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Stevemeck
    replied
    @John true it’s expensive but the amplifier isn’t the brain, it’s a one off purchase that can have up to 8 audio feeds though we'll only need one (e.g just one brain such as Sonos Port) as we only ever listen to one source across all zones. This will also provide a big improvement in sound quality, and completely remove any connectivity issues born from wireless streaming.

Leave a comment:

• Stevemeck
    replied
    Thanks very much for the responses. It sounds like it’s a safe bet that I’ll be able to achieve full control.

@risqaure, no scripting sounds great but how is this simplified from pure scripting? (re. Michael's point above I guess some will be needed no matter what?) Would you mind setting out the basic steps I’d need to take to achieve this with Big 5?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X