X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hubitat Elevation Plugin - New Owner

All,

Ownership of the Hubitat Elevation Plugin has now been handed over to Michael McSharry

​​​​​​​HomeSeer staff rjh jseer or someone from else will need to make adjustments on their side for the changes to the updater and store based upon Michael's direction.

I thank all of you for your support and for helping to make the plugin as good as it is today and I'm confident Michael will improve upon it.

I look forward to more details. As a result of this plugin I have embraced the Hubitat for my zigbee and Lutron connections to homeseer and so was getting a little worried.

Comment

The source package was delivered to Michael McSharry last night. HST needs to make changes on their end to change ownership of the forum, updater and store listing. It will probably be next week during normal business hours before that happens.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

It was your plugin that turned me onto hubitat so i hope his works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will confirm that I have agreed to take over John's plugin. John made me aware of Hubitat when it was in development and I have been watching it progress. I think it will be a good product and unlike most it is designed for our niche rather than being a product that needs to be adapted or hacked. I have a learning curve with both Hubitat and John's plugin. I do welcome inputs from those with real-world experience on ways to evolve the integration of Hubitat with HS.

HS4 has precipitated this transfer. I have no more insight into the HS4 roadmap than John. I do know that my other plugins do work with HS4 Alpha. I will try make this the case for the Hubitat plugin as well by the time HS4 Beta is made available to the community. The strategy for updating plugins to the new HS4 API vs. retaining functionality using the HS3 API is not yet known. I have been through this with HS1 to HS2 and HS2 to HS3. HS3 to HS4 should be easier as there is a greater effort for backward compatibility. There will likely be some pain as there was before.

Comment

logman from another thread:
            IMHO, it's a big loss for HST if John (Simplex Tech) decides not to develop for Homeseer anymore.
            You're damn right it is!

simplextech The direction you've had to take is more than understandable, but it still sucks for my own selfish reasons. I've bought your plugins knowing I could install, config, and forget it. You are rock-solid dude. Hope it works out where you can continue to develop for the HS platform, but it sounds like you have migrated your home already, so I'll simply say thanks and good luck instead. I'm also proud you have decided to entrust your code to Michael McSharry. I hope he and others step up to continue your work.Thanks for that too.

Comment

Originally posted by pcburcham View Post

You're damn right it is!

simplextech The direction you've had to take is more than understandable, but it still sucks for my own selfish reasons. I've bought your plugins knowing I could install, config, and forget it. You are rock-solid dude. Hope it works out where you can continue to develop for the HS platform, but it sounds like you have migrated your home already, so I'll simply say thanks and good luck instead. I'm also proud you have decided to entrust your code to Michael McSharry. I hope he and others step up to continue your work.Thanks for that too.
              Wow... Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by pcburcham View Post

You're damn right it is!

+1

Perfectly said. John was under no obligation whatsoever to hand his code off to someone else, other than his own moral compass to do what's right. He is indeed a rock solid guy and I too wish him nothing but the best as he moves forward.

From a legal point of view (and I'm not a lawyer nor have I played one on TV), HST customers that purchase a plugin authored by a 3rd party are contracting with HST, not with the plugin author. Our money was paid to HST and thus a contract was established with HST. They collected the money, took their cut and subcontracted to a 3rd party to provide the software and support. Any beef customers might have is with HST to make sure support is provided for product sold to us. Moving brand new software to the "Legacy" folder and washing their hands of support is not an option. That's a slap in the face to customers caught up in a situation not of their doing.

I very much appreciate that John and Michael have gotten together to hopefully take care of customers for this plugin. But neither John nor Michael are under any obligation to make sure that happens. That falls squarely on HST, not only for this plugin but for every other 3rd party app they are contracting to sell.

I used to follow the SmartThings forums and watched ST walk over their core developer community. Out of that brouhaha Hubitat was born by former ST community developers. And now Hubitat is bringing real competition to SmartThings. The small handful of guys that started Hubitat are motivated and on a mission. HST would do well to learn from that lesson.

--Barry

Comment

Working...
                X