Feature request - prefix name of switch and other devices with root name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request - prefix name of switch and other devices with root name

When bringing over new devices through the plugin, the default is to create all child devices with names based on their function - switch, switchlevel, etc. In almost all cases I then go in manually and update the names by adding the root name as a prefix. Example, it creates Living Room Light and I rename the switch from "switch" to "Living Room Light Switch". I do this in order to be able to tell which switch is which when creating events in homeseer.

Unless I am missing something obvious, and I maybe, wouldn't it make sense to name all child devices with the root device name as a prefix? Thanks.

When working in HS4 an event is setup by first selecting the device and then selecting the feature. In HS3 the distinction between device and feature does not exist so it becomes desirable to name things as you suggest to make identification easier. I can try doing what you want for HS3 only as it would be redundant in HS4. I will also get to the addition you posted about yesterday.

Comment

Michael, this is definitely a nice to have, not a need to have. If it works differently in HS4 then I wouldn't waste too much time on this. I don't see myself moving to HS4 for a while yet. Heck, I am still running HS2 for all of my whole house audio controlling - I invested so much time in custom scripts that I don't want to spend the time upgrading everything to HS3. And on HS3 I have too many scripts that contain things that people have flagged as issues in HS4 - for example, things like serial and IR control that I depend on for everyday stuff.

Comment

Working...
      X