Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Cross link devices' when creating a new link -vs- 'Sync linked responder devices'

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Cross link devices' when creating a new link -vs- 'Sync linked responder devices'

Hi Mark,

As the title implies, I see two references to 'cross linking':
    1. Managed device page: 'Sync linked responder devices' check. The help icon says "Automatically controls responder devices when this device is changed from the HS status page"
    2. Create a link between two devices: "Cross link devices" check. The help icon says "Creates a controller link from this device back to the device..."

My interpretation is that the first option will only operate if there are already links established between this controller and its responders; it won't create the links. The second option actually creates a cross link between this responder and the controller; it's actually a shortcut to having to create link A-to-B and link B-to-A.

Is this the correct understanding?

Your interpretation is correct.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

no cross link lamplink v2

not sure if I should add on or start a new thread

I have a keypadlink and want to setup cross link with a lamplink v2.
      In edit device links, There is a link button for the keypad link. There is no cross link button. The keypadlink to the lamplink works fine. When you control the lamplink, the keypadlink is not synched.

If I look at the lamplink, there is no link button

There is a link button on the modify device page, but it doesn't work.

I had replaced a PLM that was in prior use. I didn't have the opportunity to do a clean in-install, and had phantom links, not devices. It all looks right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Blinder View Post
        not sure if I should add on or start a new thread

I have a keypadlink and want to setup cross link with a lamplink v2.
        In edit device links, There is a link button for the keypad link. There is no cross link button. The keypadlink to the lamplink works fine. When you control the lamplink, the keypadlink is not synched.

If I look at the lamplink, there is no link button

There is a link button on the modify device page, but it doesn't work.

I had replaced a PLM that was in prior use. I didn't have the opportunity to do a clean in-install, and had phantom links, not devices. It all looks right now.
        A lamplinc v2 (model 2456) cannot be an controller thus you can't create a controller link from the lamplinc to the kpl.

the latest lamplincs (model 2457) can be controllers.

feel free to start a new thread for new topic.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Color me confused

I'm re-learning HS and Insteon, it's been a while. Right now I'm just playing to learn about the system.

The odd thing, if I link them manually (with local stitches) they can be linked that way. The switch defiantly follows the lap. Limitation that lamplink can only be registered with one device (HS)
          ?
          Is there an issue if I linked them manually? Now I have to test what happens if I have a 1 way link from the plug to the switch. I'm pretty sure you might tell me there is a reason or 6 not to do it :-)

I wish there as an angelic tech writer who could go thru the forums and put together a comprehensive manual on this sub forum. I search like crazy before I post, but perhaps my search's aren't the best structured. My writing skills are about 3rd grade.

Comment

you can have multiple devices controlling the same lamplinc v2-not a problem.

i'll have to revisit the lamplinc v2 if you're saying the lamplinc can control the switch.

use the plugin to create links. links created manually will be a little different and you may see two links that do basically the same thing. You also have better control over the on level and ramp rate when creating links via the plugin.

i would suggest finding insteon documents on the net if you want to learn more about insteon linking.

the searching feature on this forum isn't the best so it may be difficult to find stuff.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes, I can cross link using the hardware button. That said, don't look at anything on my account. I only have one of these switches.

I just want to understand every piece as I put the network back together.

Thanks for your help

Robert

Comment

P.S.

The reason I tried cross linking them in the first place, I found it in the documentation for the switch.

Comment

New to this conversation. Can someone assist me by providing procedure for linking Insteon devices? I found This page by DEVICES>EDIT >MNS INSTEON>EDIT DEVICE and this is what I see. Can some guide me from here? I’d like to link 4 lights each with backyard in their device name. Which boxes do I need To check? Do putting devices in a group also link them? Thanks!
                  Attached Files

Comment

By the way the devices that appear under current links are all previously associated in a group.

Comment

darrylwerner this forum is for the hs3 insteon plugin. and this thread is 4 years old.

in the future, please post in the MNS Insteon for help with the hs4 plugin MNS Insteon for HS4

that list is not where you create links (its only for editing existing ones).

There is another section below that to create links from one device to another

a plugin Group will all you to control all the links from a single device/command
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                      X