This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All off with an exception

I *think* I figured out how to do this in my last house and now I seem to have just forgotten.

Sometimes when I hit the "All off" button I actually want it to kill everything. Could be I'm going on vacation or just leaving the house for a while and don't want to waste energy. At night, I want to turn off ALMOST everything. For example, I sleep with the ceiling fan on during the summer and I don't want that to turn off when the nightly scheduled shutdown happens.

I know I *could* manually add every insteon device except the fans, but that seems a like a huge pain. Is there a way to temporarily exclude certain devices from the all off command? Cheers!

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    I *think* I figured out how to do this in my last house and now I seem to have just forgotten.

Sometimes when I hit the "All off" button I actually want it to kill everything. Could be I'm going on vacation or just leaving the house for a while and don't want to waste energy. At night, I want to turn off ALMOST everything. For example, I sleep with the ceiling fan on during the summer and I don't want that to turn off when the nightly scheduled shutdown happens.

I know I *could* manually add every insteon device except the fans, but that seems a like a huge pain. Is there a way to temporarily exclude certain devices from the all off command? Cheers!
    short answer is no. once the links are built, everything will respond when triggered.

you will need to create additional groups to control the devices you want at night or during the day
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks Mark!

Haven't really played around with groups. Just to be certain I've got this: I'd create a group called "All off - Night" or something like that includes every Insteon device with the exception of the fans. Then I'd call that from my nightly event or other places I want this behavior over actually turning everything off.

I imagine other uses of groups would be creating one for "All Upstairs", "All Downstairs", etc. What are some of the other use cases?

Excuse my ignorance of how groups work, but what's the benefit of doing that vs creating an event with all the devices and calling that from other events as needed? I assume there are performance benefits?

Comment

Thanks Mark!
        I imagine other uses of groups would be creating one for "All Upstairs", "All Downstairs", etc. What are some of the other use cases?
        I have one called High Alert. If the overall house status is Sleeping, if any perimeter door or window is breached or any outside sensor detects something, it activates High Alert which flashes all the lights ON and OFF. Smoke detectors also trigger High Alert.

I tried doing this without groups (controlling each device separately in the event) and it was weird. It created an odd random pattern and sometimes HS3 would even get backed up on processing. Groups perfectly solved it.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance of how groups work, but what's the benefit of doing that vs creating an event with all the devices and calling that from other events as needed? I assume there are performance benefits?
          Logbuilder has the right idea about why to use insteon groups vs individual event actions: performance and reliability.

i use a group called "Lights for watching TV" that turns most lights off, and sets a few lights to 30%. Then, I can ask Alexa to "Turn on the lights for watching tv"

the point is, groups can turns some lights on, and some lights off in the same group.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I also have z-wave plus devices in a second location using the HS z-wave plugin. I wish I knew how to set up groupings comparable to Mark's plugin. Kudos Mark.

Comment

This sparked another related question, is there a way to easily tell if one or more light is on in a group?

I was thinking of having an upstairs keypad button tied to basement lights. I want the keypad to be on if ANY light in the basement group is on and then I could hit this button so it turns off the basement group.

Comment

Originally posted by dhogan View Post
                This sparked another related question, is there a way to easily tell if one or more light is on in a group?

I was thinking of having an upstairs keypad button tied to basement lights. I want the keypad to be on if ANY light in the basement group is on and then I could hit this button so it turns off the basement group.
                this specific functionality of "ANY" isn't support by insteon or the plugin

you will need to create an event to manage the kpl btn to turn it on if any of your basement lights are one, and a second event to turn it off, if all the basement lights are off.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                X