Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to set up a FanLinc/KeypadLinc pair?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to set up a FanLinc/KeypadLinc pair?

Ok, so I have my boy's room. In there I have a FanLinc to control the Ceiling fan and it's lights, and I a have a 6 button KPL.

The way I have it set up now is:
    1. I have set the buttons A-D as in "radio group 1"
    2. I have added 4 "Groups" Called "Ceiling fan [speed] where speed is: off, low, med high.
    3. Each of the Groups has not only the FanLinc set to the correct speed, but also all 4 buttons setting them to their proper state.

I have noticed the following:
    • The "radio buttons" work with local control.
    • While I have #3 above, when I control the groups in HS, the 4 buttons stay in sync.
    • At one point, instead of all 4 buttons in each group for #3, I only had the button controlling it and the FanLinc. However, the buttons didn't stay in sync when controlling it this way from HS.
    • Controlling the fan directly the radio buttons fall out of Sync, making me think I need Events to keep the buttons in sync

The last one is my biggest one. I use ImperiHome and I don't want to add the control groups as devices in ImperiHome. Instead I want to add the Ceiling Fan because it only takes 1 space and already has all speeds. I tried checking "Sync linked responder device", but that seems to have no affect and I'm not 100% sure what that setting is even used for.

Am I doing this right? Should I be doing this a different way? My End Goal is:
    • A-D buttons operate as radio buttons (only 1 on at a time)
    • I want the buttons in sync, even if I control the FanLinc directly.

Here is a screenshot of the settings I have for the KPL and a screenshot of 1 of the Groups to control the buttons.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      Ok, so I have my boy's room. In there I have a FanLinc to control the Ceiling fan and it's lights, and I a have a 6 button KPL.

The way I have it set up now is:
      1. I have set the buttons A-D as in "radio group 1"
      2. I have added 4 "Groups" Called "Ceiling fan [speed] where speed is: off, low, med high.
      3. Each of the Groups has not only the FanLinc set to the correct speed, but also all 4 buttons setting them to their proper state.

I have noticed the following:
      • The "radio buttons" work with local control.
      • While I have #3 above, when I control the groups in HS, the 4 buttons stay in sync.
      • At one point, instead of all 4 buttons in each group for #3, I only had the button controlling it and the FanLinc. However, the buttons didn't stay in sync when controlling it this way from HS.
      • Controlling the fan directly the radio buttons fall out of Sync, making me think I need Events to keep the buttons in sync

The last one is my biggest one. I use ImperiHome and I don't want to add the control groups as devices in ImperiHome. Instead I want to add the Ceiling Fan because it only takes 1 space and already has all speeds. I tried checking "Sync linked responder device", but that seems to have no affect and I'm not 100% sure what that setting is even used for.

Am I doing this right? Should I be doing this a different way? My End Goal is:
      • A-D buttons operate as radio buttons (only 1 on at a time)
      • I want the buttons in sync, even if I control the FanLinc directly.
      so the issue is the fanlinc device is only a responder, not a controller. So if you control the fanlinc directly from the associated hs devices, the plugin cannot update the kpl buttons because there aren't any controller-responder links.

You will need to add some events for this scenario.

The "Sync linked responder device" is used to keep a multi-way circuit in sync. for example, if you have two switchlincs linked to each other and you control one switch from hs, then the other will get updated. this works because there are controller-responder links in both directions; i call these cross-links (A->B and B->A)
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I know this is a old thread but i have a question about the controlinc, I notice the keypadlinc shows Button Mode and Button Groups above in post#2, My controlinc does not, Should they both have the same setup. or do i need to use the Manage groups option?.. right now I am using the Link Device under Device management to assign button ON/OFF or link to a Event to make a scene.

Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

controlincs don't have the kpl features you mentioned

you best bet for creating an insteon scene or group that is controlled by a controlinc button, is to use the Group feature within the plugin. Create a new group, select the controlinc btn as the controller and then select the responders you want. the program the group. the plugin will create the necessary insteon links.

I would not use the 'link' option within the hs dev mgmt page.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Ok, so don't use Link Device management and use "Manage Groups" option for a Scene, Group, or a just to turn on/off 1 device

Thanks
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ocyberbum View Post
              Ok, so don't use Link Device management and use "Manage Groups" option for a Scene, Group, or a just to turn on/off 1 device

Thanks
              Mark
              use the plugin "Edit Device Links" page for linking 1 device to the controlinc.

Please feel free to start a new thread when you have future questions.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post

so the issue is the fanlinc device is only a responder, not a controller. So if you control the fanlinc directly from the associated hs devices, the plugin cannot update the kpl buttons because there aren't any controller-responder links.

You will need to add some events for this scenario.

The "Sync linked responder device" is used to keep a multi-way circuit in sync. for example, if you have two switchlincs linked to each other and you control one switch from hs, then the other will get updated. this works because there are controller-responder links in both directions; i call these cross-links (A->B and B->A)
                Mark,

I am trying to setup a keypadlinc and fanlinc. I am a bit confused because I thought using radio button group 1 would create a bunch of cross-links between buttons like how the manual instructions say to create these at the keypad if not using software to setup/control. However, it seems to work without crosslinks. I guess my questions is will this approach work rather than using groups...

1. Setup On button as Trigger Group
                2. Setup buttons A, B, C and D as Non-Toggle On, Trigger Group and Radio Group 1
                3. Create manual links from each button to its fanlinc function (light on, light off, high, med, low, off)

This seems cleaner and avoids having multiple devices in HS for scenes (just the one keypad device). Although each button in the device has on/off buttons instead of just On as in 2 above.

Is this a viable setup or do you see issues?

Thanks

Comment

I think you are headed in the right direction. there are other threads/posts about how people set up the connect between a fanlinc and kpl

1. group a,b,c,d into one radio group (you don't need to worry about non-toggle on when using a radio group; its handled)
                  2. link each button to the fanlinc speed using plugin
                  3. link kpl on btn to fanlinc lights

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks Mark. I could swear I tried this setup at one point but was not getting the desired result with turning on /off the keypadlinc button from HS or Alexa. I also was getting strange behavior when doing the off button (button D) for the fan, all the abcd lights would go on. I had started with an older keypadlinc and have switched to the new ones so not sure if I retried this setup or not.

This is definitely what I was looking for. Not sure why it wasn't working correctly before but most likely user error.

Thanks again!

Comment

Mark, when I turn on say button A (high) from HS and/or Alexa, the fanlinc does not go on. I assume this is because in this case the Hub is the controller, and button A and the Fanlinc are the responders. This is one thing that always bugged me about Insteon as it wants to use scenes for something like this. Correct me if I have the wrong understanding.

I think the best / only fix is to select "Sync Linked Responder Devices" in the keypad device in your plugin which will monitor when button A is pressed and then turn on the corresponding fanlinc mode. This is being done by the plugin / HS which kind of makes sense as the only time this comes into play is when you use HS/Alexa to try to turn them on. Locally, from the kepyad itself, everything works as expected.

Would like to get your thoughts / confirmation on this if possible.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                        Mark, when I turn on say button A (high) from HS and/or Alexa, the fanlinc does not go on. I assume this is because in this case the Hub is the controller, and button A and the Fanlinc are the responders. This is one thing that always bugged me about Insteon as it wants to use scenes for something like this. Correct me if I have the wrong understanding.

I think the best / only fix is to select "Sync Linked Responder Devices" in the keypad device in your plugin which will monitor when button A is pressed and then turn on the corresponding fanlinc mode. This is being done by the plugin / HS which kind of makes sense as the only time this comes into play is when you use HS/Alexa to try to turn them on. Locally, from the kepyad itself, everything works as expected.

Would like to get your thoughts / confirmation on this if possible.

Thanks!
                        You are correct, you need to enable the "Sync Linked Responder Devices". the insteon protocol does not handle this for us.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                        X