This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directly Linked Responder

Is it at all possible to have a directly-linked responder that acts on an ON command but ignores OFF?

I'm trying to solve a usability issue: I have a hidden door sensor on the door from our house to the garage. The garage is a few steps down from the house, so it's highly desirable to have the light come on when you open the door. I have an Insteon dimmer switch on the garage light, and right now the 'on' command is sent from a HomeSeer event on the door sensor. The issue is that even with the event marked as a 'Priority Event', it takes about 2-3 seconds for the garage light to actually come on when the door opens. That seems like a short-enough time, but it's really not, and the family is constantly complaining about "how long it takes" for the light to turn on.

If I directly link the dimmer module to the door sensor it turns the light on pretty much instantly -- but then, of course, it turns the light right back off again when the door closes. Not a very desirable result when you're standing in a pitch-black garage. Although, I must admit, it WAS pretty amusing when my wife tested it out.

If there was a way to directly link the ON command from the door sensor to the dimmer module, but then somehow tell the dimmer mod to ignore the OFF command that would be perfect. My HS3 event already correctly handles setting a timer to turn the light off after a while.

-M.

Originally posted by MarkHargrove View Post
    Is it at all possible to have a directly-linked responder that acts on an ON command but ignores OFF?

I'm trying to solve a usability issue: I have a hidden door sensor on the door from our house to the garage. The garage is a few steps down from the house, so it's highly desirable to have the light come on when you open the door. I have an Insteon dimmer switch on the garage light, and right now the 'on' command is sent from a HomeSeer event on the door sensor. The issue is that even with the event marked as a 'Priority Event', it takes about 2-3 seconds for the garage light to actually come on when the door opens. That seems like a short-enough time, but it's really not, and the family is constantly complaining about "how long it takes" for the light to turn on.

If I directly link the dimmer module to the door sensor it turns the light on pretty much instantly -- but then, of course, it turns the light right back off again when the door closes. Not a very desirable result when you're standing in a pitch-black garage. Although, I must admit, it WAS pretty amusing when my wife tested it out.

If there was a way to directly link the ON command from the door sensor to the dimmer module, but then somehow tell the dimmer mod to ignore the OFF command that would be perfect. My HS3 event already correctly handles setting a timer to turn the light off after a while.

-M.
    there is a feature to separate the On msg from the Off msg but i need to add it to the plugin. Basically the Off msg would because a separate group (#2)
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Well, that would be pretty awesome for me if you ever get a chance to add the feature.

-M.

Comment

Mark S,

I would love to see that feature too. It would be great for lights controlled by a motion sensor. I could link the motion sensor to the light to turn it ON instantly, but keep the more complicated OFF functionality in HS.

Comment

I can easily add this feature but the downside is i have to move the Battery Level hs device which currently sit at Group 2 (eg AA.BB.CC:2). The easiest way is to ask you to delete the existing device from the plugin and then register it again to get the new hs devices. this will of course break events and triggers. Otherwise i have to write and test upgrade code

I still need to figure out how each device will turn Off, if they only get On broadcasts
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

will you guys respond to the following post regarding the hidden door sensor. I need to find out if redefining the hs devices is a big deal to most users

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...r-sensor-users
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
            X