Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB Dongle Interface "Port.SendHex Error: The serial port appears to be closed" error

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Dongle Interface "Port.SendHex Error: The serial port appears to be closed" error

For the first time, my Insteon system went completely down this evening. I took a look in the logs and saw these:

Dec-04 4:23:38 PM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Dec-04 4:23:38 PM Insteon ..Error: Could not open COM5 - Access to the port 'COM5' is denied.
    Dec-04 4:23:33 PM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Dec-04 4:23:33 PM Insteon ..Error: Could not open COM5 - Access to the port 'COM5' is denied.
    Dec-04 4:23:28 PM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Dec-04 4:23:28 PM Insteon ..Error: Could not open COM5 - Access to the port 'COM5' is denied.
    Dec-04 4:23:23 PM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon Transmit failed to device Sun Room 8 btn keypadlinc
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon Warning! Communications lost. Attempting to restart the port...
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon Interface_TrapError called from SendHex
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon The RF Dongle has failed to transmit the last 10 commands.
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon Port.SendHex Error: The serial port appears to be closed.
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon Port.SendHex Error: The serial port appears to be closed.
    Dec-04 4:23:38 PM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Dec-04 4:23:38 PM Insteon ..Error: Could not open COM5 - Access to the port 'COM5' is denied.
    Dec-04 4:23:33 PM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Dec-04 4:23:33 PM Insteon ..Error: Could not open COM5 - Access to the port 'COM5' is denied.
    Dec-04 4:23:28 PM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Dec-04 4:23:28 PM Insteon ..Error: Could not open COM5 - Access to the port 'COM5' is denied.
    Dec-04 4:23:23 PM Insteon Attempting to restart the port and Interface...
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon Warning! Communications lost. Attempting to restart the port...
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon Interface_TrapError called from SendHex
    Dec-04 4:23:22 PM Insteon The RF Dongle has failed to transmit the last 10 commands.

I pulled the interface and reinstalled it and it came back up. Might be related to my system but again I haven't seen this before.

O/S Windows 10 home, Intel NUC machine, HS3 system, plug in version 3.0.6.0 (I will update this soon since it looks like there's an update)

I'm really surprised you got this error with the RF Dongle. This is usually related to the 2413U (usb) and noise on the usb connection.

Please track how frequently this happens. I don't think the plugin update will do much for this issue. But please update when you can.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Ensure you have "Power Management" for your serial port turned off. I've found that if it isn't turned off, the computer decides the port is not being used and shuts it off to save power. Then when you need the port it is closed.

Right click the Windows-Start button > Device manager
      Universal Serial Bus Controllers > double-click on the device in question > look for "Power Management" tab
      Un-check the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" > Ok

That will prevent your port from going to sleep.

Check any other USB devices or hubs as well.

Comment

OK, update here. The interface itself finally died, so I replaced it with a spare one I had.

I went through the process of "replace interface" and it went through all the devices and the battery powered ones needed to be manually "enabled" with their buttons.

However, almost all (if not all) of the plugged in devices are showing up on the main config page as "The following are unregistered Insteon addresses found in the network."

The links that show up are referencing the old Insteon interface.

Here's an example (plug in dimmer):

Device Link Table
        Link #1 Outlet controls Unregistered Device (31.18.5E)
        Link #4 Outlet has local control reporting to HomeSeer
        Link #6 Outlet is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level: 0%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
        Link #5 Outlet is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #254 (HomeSeer All Devices Group) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .1 Sec.
        Link #2 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 0 (31.18.5E) - On Level: 0%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
        Link #3 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 254 (31.18.5E) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .1 Sec.
        Warning: This Insteon device controls or is controlled by devices you have not yet registered with the plug-in. HomeSeer may not be aware of any control commands that might come from the unregistered device. Please add the unknown device to your system if possible.

The device ending in 5E was the OLD Insteon interface. I can't seem to get it updated to the new USB controller. Do I actually have to go and "reset" the device and re-add it to Insteon? I hope not, that will affect all the events and other factors.

I can't easily find documentation on the proper procedure to replace an interface since I'm in a little hurry to fix things at the moment.

Comment

Wow, this is getting messy. I hope I'm not messing up the entire Insteon setup and making it unreliable. It's been great for years and now this. I actually replaced 90% of my z-wave devices with Insteon because IT was unreliable :-)

Anyway, I am going through each device and "Reprogram for Homeseer" and a new set of links get added to the existing ones. Then I "Edit Links" and delete the ones referencing the OLD usb interface. The device seems to continue working throughout this process and the device doesn't show up on the main config page anymore as having "unregistered links".

I'm a little stuck with the keypadlincs though, their behavior isn't the same and I might need to fully reset the device and try again. The button links are not coming back no matter what I do.

Seems to me that the "replace interface" procedure is either incomplete or needs more documentation, which I still can't find anything on.

Comment

Oh also, when I say it's getting "messy" I mean when I "reprogram device for homeseer" it almost always creates a link that is some completely unrelated device. Nothing to do with the device in question, so I delete that one too. Not sure why it shows up when doing the reprogram option.

Comment

what plugin version are you running? and you can run the swap/replace routine again and again. it will only update devices that have the old plm id
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
              Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
              Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
              Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

When you program a wireless device (motion sensor, mini remote, etc) you have to take it out of program mode before moving on to the next device. Otherwise it picks up the links for the next device(s) until it times out. Just press the set button, usually twice, until the led stops flashing, then move on to the next device.

Comment

Mark, from my first post:

O/S Windows 10 home, Intel NUC machine, HS3 system, plug in version 3.0.6.0 (I will update this soon since it looks like there's an update)

I'm done updating the devices (except for my keypadlincs which are all out of whack at the moment :-)

What I did was "Program device for Homeseer" and a second dupe set of links showed up but I guess associated with the proper new interface.
                  Then I manually selected the links with the old interface ID in them and deleted them, so they're all cleaned up.

Burrington: Thanks for the tip on that -- I watched the devices (mostly remotelincs) drop out of the program mode (i.e. beep and the green LED stopped blinking) before I moved on to the next device.

However I will mention that when the swap routine had finished it had many errors, starting off with this:

The swap routine finished.

Devices successfully reprogrammed: 11
                  Devices did not need to be reprogrammed: 2
                  Devices not reprogrammed: 24

Available Dimmer module 47.24.A5 (47.51.A5) failed with reason: The device did not response <--- this is an unused device just sitting in a drawer, not online so expected
                  Master Bedroom Remote 4 btn Dennis (44.12.BE) failed with reason: Could not read the link table <---- remotelinc was in program mode
                  Frontyard Pergola GFCI outlets (4E.65.55) failed with reason: The device did not response <---- this is a plug in relay module that's always online
                  ....etc

Comment

run the swap again using same input of the old ID. it will retry the 24 devices not reprogrammed
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Not to spread this thread too far out, but I can't seem to the first keypadlinc back online. I think I messed it up a bit too much and now I can't get the buttons to show up. I tried a factory reset and almost every option button on the device page, and I can only get button A to show up in the links:

Device Link Table
                      Link #2 Load has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                      Link #1 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level: 0%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
                      Link #5 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #1 (Button Control Group) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .1 Sec.
                      Link #3 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #254 (HomeSeer All Devices Group) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .1 Sec.
                      Link #4 Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #9 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                      Short of literally deleting the device completely, factory reset, and then re-adding it I guess it's not repairable in the state that it's in. Now that I think about it, I guess I'l go ahead and do this and hopefully if the name & device ID are the same my HS3 events won't change. We'll see how that works out.

I already manually fixed the 24 devices by "Program device for Homeseer" and then manually deleting all the links that showed up pointing to the old device.

Mark, does the swap procedure normally clear up any old links and/or update them with the new interface ID? I would assume so because pretty much most of the devices worked after the first run (my only run) even though the process logged errors for 24 devices as unreachable. On those devices I just did the step above to fix them.

Maybe running the swap routine again would have fixed those?

Also, I have one more keypadlinc that I haven't touched yet. Here's what the link setup looks like now. I'm going to run the swap routine again to see if it fixes everything.

Note that (31.18.5E) is the OLD interface.
                      Link #4 Button A controls Unregistered Device Link 3 (31.18.5E)
                      Link #5 Button B controls Unregistered Device Link 4 (31.18.5E)
                      Link #6 Button C controls Unregistered Device Link 5 (31.18.5E)
                      Link #7 Button D controls Unregistered Device Link 6 (31.18.5E)
                      Link #8 Button Off controls Unregistered Device Link 8 (31.18.5E)
                      Link #3 Button On/Load controls Unregistered Device (31.18.5E)
                      Link #11 Button A is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 2 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                      Link #12 Button B is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 3 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                      Link #13 Button C is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 4 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                      Link #14 Button D is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 5 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                      Link #15 Button Off is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 6 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                      Link #2 Button On/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 0 (31.18.5E) - On Level : Off
                      Link #1 Button On/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 0 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                      Link #10 Button On/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                      Link #9 Button On/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 254 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On

Comment

BTW, ran the swap again, skipped the battery powered devices as they're already complete. It took it's time on the one keypadlinc I haven't touched but after it had completed with this line a few times, I got this output.

Pass 2: Device 26 of 31, Now attempting to reprogram your device Frontyard 6 btn keypadlinc (4C.55.3C) to the replacement interface...

Device Link Table
                        Link #11 Button A is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 2 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                        Link #12 Button B is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 3 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                        Link #13 Button C is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 4 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                        Link #14 Button D is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 5 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                        Link #15 Button Off is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 6 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                        Link #2 Button On/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 0 (31.18.5E) - On Level : Off
                        Link #1 Button On/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 0 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                        Link #10 Button On/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                        Link #9 Button On/Load is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 254 (31.18.5E) - On Level : On
                        Warning: This Insteon device controls or is controlled by devices you have not yet registered with the plug-in. HomeSeer may not be aware of any control commands that might come from the unregistered device. Please add the unknown device to your system if possible.

Warning: This Insteon device has no links with the HomeSeer interface, so it can not respond to the ALL DEVICES group commands sent by HomeSeer. Please use the 'Program Device for Homeseer' function.

Warning: This Insteon device has no master links with the HomeSeer interface, so it can not report local control changes to HomeSeer. Please use the 'Program Device for Homeseer' function.

Comment

OK, FYI if anyone's interested, deleting an Insteon device and re-adding it with the exact same name, etc. still requires you to update all related HS3 events to the new device. Kind of sucks for me because I had a lot of events that not only controlled devices but also the keypadlinc button backlight LEDs as well indicating the status of the device.

I.E., pressing button A turned on or off (toggle) the device and the button's LED to match the device status.

Comment

The work continues... So I could not get the 2nd keypadlinc to set up properly. Finally I went ahead and proceeded with "Program device for Homeseer" and it's all crazy now, like the other keypadlinc. So my instinct now says to go delete all the bad links that point to the old interface.

This is not scalable in my opinion, I want to add a bunch more keypadlincs but if I have to completely re-do them if I have an interface die then that's not something I'm looking forward to. Seems like the swap routing doesn't properly handle keypadlinc devices.

I (grumble grumble) foresee doing the same thing I had to do with the other keypadlinc - factory reset, delete from HS, then re-add and fix all the dang events.

Again "31.18.5E" is the old interface ID. Also, link #16 - Why did it show up? Anyway, that's the weirdness I've been experiencing. Buttons E and F are missing too, this is a six button controller.

Here's what it looks like now after doing the "Program device for Homeseer". Note that I tried the swap routing again above and it didn't change anything.

Link #16 Button On/Load controls Master Bedroom LED Lights (4E.55.62) <----- ?????? wtf
                            Link #19 Button A has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                            Link #20 Button B has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                            Link #21 Button C has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                            Link #22 Button D has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                            Link #23 Button Off has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                            Link #18 Button On/Load has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                            Link #26 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #2 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                            Link #27 Button B is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #3 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                            Link #28 Button C is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #4 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                            Link #29 Button D is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #5 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                            Link #30 Button Off is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #6 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                            Link #17 Button On/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level : Off
                            Link #25 Button On/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #1 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                            Link #24 Button On/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #254 (HomeSeer All Devices Group) - On Level : On

Comment

Whew! I'm done. Here's the final resolution for that last keypadlinc.

From the previous post, I went in and deleted all the dead links that pointed to the old interface, plus the one rogue one. Now it looks like this:

Device Link Table
                              Link #3 Button A has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                              Link #4 Button B has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                              Link #5 Button C has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                              Link #6 Button D has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                              Link #7 Button Off has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                              Link #2 Button On/Load has local control reporting to HomeSeer
                              Link #10 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #2 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                              Link #11 Button B is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #3 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                              Link #12 Button C is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #4 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                              Link #13 Button D is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #5 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                              Link #14 Button Off is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #6 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                              Link #1 Button On/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level : Off
                              Link #9 Button On/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #1 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
                              Link #8 Button On/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #254 (HomeSeer All Devices Group) - On Level : On
                              And now it all works properly as expected, without any event changes. The 6 button confusion on my part is the On and Off buttons, those are the two larger buttons.

I'm glad I didn't need to do a factory reset on this one as it's outside in a weather box by the front door and it's cold outside right now!

So in the end, the open question for Mark is:

Does the swap routine clear up old links pointing to the old interface? I noticed that I had to "program device for homeseer" to create new links to the new interface, then manually delete the old links pointing to the old interface.

Maybe something has changed in the recent updated version but I doubt it.

Thanks for everyone's help and for listening to my rambling on about all of this :-)

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                              X