This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Way to Replace Insteon Device?

When replacing a switch is it best to have both devices connected to power before starting the replace device command?

I did not do it this way to at first and i had issues with events and devices... I did use the replace command but it was after i already replaced the old switch with the new one.

typically, you can take the old device offline, and start the replace with the new device online. the replace routine should program the new device and reprogram other devices that referenced the old device ID.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I just replaced a failed device yesterday using the method Mark stated above. I took the failed device out of service and installed
      the new one
      before using the "replace device" function of the plugin. It worked fine and all my events still work with the replacement device. It should have worked for you...

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        typically, you can take the old device offline, and start the replace with the new device online. the replace routine should program the new device and reprogram other devices that referenced the old device ID.
        When you say "take the old device offline", do you mean delete it from the insteon configuration, or physically remove it?

Comment

Just unplug the old device. But do not delete it from the plugin.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
          X