occasional miss of button press on Keypads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• occasional miss of button press on Keypads

Occasionally (more often then I would want) a press of a button on a keypad is not picked up by HS. I have about 15 Six/Eight button keypads, Insteon hub 2245-222 and PI version 3.0.7.2. I have had both the Insteon and the HomeTroller-SEL PRO since about Sept 1. I have had this problem since day 1, if I recall properly.

The load buttons (on/off) seem to be fine.

It seems to be problems with other buttons. It also seems to be a problem when I have not pressed any buttons in a while, say more than 15 minutes. And this is not every time. It seems every keypad also has this 'problem'. If I press a button that runs an event, sometimes the event does not happen. I do not see the button press nor an event in the log.

To make it work, or to trick the keypad when it does not work, I press that button off and press it on again then the event occurs and I see things in the log. Once I get an event to occur, it seems that I can press any button on any other keypad during the next few minutes and they work just fine. The other way I can trick this, is pressing the load button (press the On if the light is on or Off if the light is off) and then press the button of the event I want, that button press seems to work every time.

It is like I have to 'wake up' the keypad.

To help me not to be so annoyed, I have HS send a beep to the key pad when it executes the event, that way I know that it worked. If I press a button and do not hear a beep with in a few seconds, I just press it off and press it again. It is nearly 100% working on that second press.

Some of the events I run are switching some Zwave devices on and off, executing Philips Hue commands and Sonos changes - not just Insteon stuff.

I have events watching for the the Insteon 'Transmits On' and also 'Device changes and becomes On'. Both triggers seem to work the same in this case.

Finally today I started to check the Insteon App. Every time one of these events do not show up in the log, the Insteon App shows the button was pressed.

I am at a loss and a bit frustrated, but I have been living with and dealing with it for a while. I purchased an ISY hub thinking that I could move everything over and perhaps it would trigger in more constantly, but I really don't know.

Any thoughts? Is it just me or is this something that happens? I have searched and read this forum and cannot see anything like this described.

I can only say that I have not had this problem so far (been using the plug-in and keypadlincs for many years now).

Comment

I have several different types of remote devices. Over time I have learned that the trigger for the button that works best is 'just had its value set or changed'.

Comment

Try a reset and reprogram on your insteon interface from the plugin config page.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
        Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

You say that your load on and load off buttons work every time, but the other buttons only work every second time - here's why:

On a 6 button keypad, the top (load on) button sends an ON command every time you push it. The bottom button sends an OFF every time you push it. But the other 4 buttons toggle between On and Off. So if your event is triggered by say "Button C Changes and goes On", it will only be triggered every second time. If you want your event to be triggered EVERY time you push a button, add "OR If Button C Changes and goes Off".

Better yet, use the "Insteon Special Triggers" and have:
          If Button C Transmits an ON Command
          OR If Button C Transmits an OFF Command
          Then ….

In that way, your event will be triggered whether the button sends an on or an off command.

Comment

Burrington, Thanks, I never even noticed the Insteon Special Triggers before. Your suggestion to use a special trigger combo checking for ON or OFF commands, is that any different than just doing a normal device test of whether the value was set or changed? Might there be a performance difference?

Comment

Burrington, I guess I was not very clear. I mentioned that I push the button ON (turning it on), and when nothing happens, I push if OFF and back ON, that second push ON works nearly every time. I also use both the Insteon special triggers (Transmits an ON command) and the device commands (Device changes and becomes ON). I have tried to OR them and tried them individually. Pretty much the same.

mnsandler, thanks I gave the reprogram a shot, things seemed to be better Sunday, I will keep a close eye, as I do much more voice commanding then button pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by tomehome View Post
                Burrington, I guess I was not very clear. I mentioned that I push the button ON (turning it on), and when nothing happens, I push if OFF and back ON, that second push ON works nearly every time. I also use both the Insteon special triggers (Transmits an ON command) and the device commands (Device changes and becomes ON). I have tried to OR them and tried them individually. Pretty much the same.
                Have a look at your log to see if all 3 Insteon commands (ON - OFF - ON) are getting through.
                a) If all 3 are received, then you have a problem with the event trigger logic. Post your event here and we'll help you fix it.
                b) If they are not all getting through you have a problem with Insteon communication. Refer to these links for more info to fix it.
                http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ne#post1226477
                https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...e?q=filterlinc

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                  Burrington, Thanks, I never even noticed the Insteon Special Triggers before. Your suggestion to use a special trigger combo checking for ON or OFF commands, is that any different than just doing a normal device test of whether the value was set or changed? Might there be a performance difference?
                  Besides providing many additional functions, the Insteon Special Triggers are better than "Changes and Becomes" in some cases. For example, if you want Button X to trigger an event EVERY time it is pressed On, you can use "Button X Transmits an ON Command". The event will trigger every time the ON button is pressed. If you use "Changes and Becomes On", you have to press the OFF before the next press of the ON button will be detected. That's useful for triggering events from a keypad or a remote because you can use the ON button for your "Goodnight" routine, and the OFF button for your "Away" routine for example.

The Insteon Special Trigger "Transmits Fast ON" is also very useful because it allows you to give a second function to a switch. For example, a wall switch can turn a light on and off as usual, but double-tapping the same switch ON could be used to turn on the stereo, turn on all lights in the room, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post

Have a look at your log to see if all 3 Insteon commands (ON - OFF - ON) are getting through.
                    a) If all 3 are received, then you have a problem with the event trigger logic. Post your event here and we'll help you fix it.
                    b) If they are not all getting through you have a problem with Insteon communication. Refer to these links for more info to fix it.
                    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ne#post1226477
                    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...e?q=filterlinc
                    Thanks!
                    When things don't work that first ON does not come through on the log. The OFF and then the next ON do show on the log.

Thanks for the info and links, I was assuming some sort of communication issue but not really sure where to start. The troubling thing is when I have the Insteon app open on my phone, the app shows the button switch to ON every time (even when the log does not see it). But perhaps that is a bit of false positive.

The links will be very handy, but more 'work' than I had hoped. I had hoped it was something simple.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by tomehome View Post

When things don't work that first ON does not come through on the log. The OFF and then the next ON do show on the log.

The troubling thing is when I have the Insteon app open on my phone, the app shows the button switch to ON every time (even when the log does not see it). But perhaps that is a bit of false positive.

Thanks again!
                      I'm not sure how the ON command can be getting through to the Insteon app, but not registering in the Insteon Plug-in.

Mark S, I'm not familiar with the hub, is it possible the hub is not properly linked to the plug-in or still linked to something from the past?

Comment

I'm not sure how the ON command can be getting through to the Insteon app, but not registering in the Insteon Plug-in.

Mark S, I'm not familiar with the hub, is it possible the hub is not properly linked to the plug-in or still linked to something from the past?
                        I don't think this is a link issue if it works most of the time.

I don't know how the hub communicates with the insteon app. There is a REST api, but i don't use it. I suppose the insteon app could be polling the devices for status.

Please leave detailed logging enabled within the plugin, and see if you can capture a log snippet when you press an On btn and the plugin doesn't respond but the app does.

Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
                        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting

Comment

I do know if you press the kpl btn too quickly/lightly, you can turn it On without actually triggering the insteon message. I experience this myself with kpl btns.
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Mark, He says the button ON is registering in the "Insteon App", but not in the plugin. I don't know how that could happen unless the app is talking to something other than HS and the plugin.

Comment

Mark, He says the button ON is registering in the "Insteon App", but not in the plugin. I don't know how that could happen unless the app is talking to something other than HS and the plugin.
                              the hub transmits something to the insteon server. the insteon app talks to the insteon server. the insteon app does not communicate with hs or the plugin.
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Working...
                              X