This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon.ini trying to recover from system crash

I'm trying to recover from a complete system crash (SSD drive is toast)
    I had crash plan setup a long time ago to backup everything nightly... well crash plan stopped offering there services and I never updated my disaster recovery process, so for sure this is my fault for not backing up.

I have the homeseer database file the sqlite file dated from January of this year which shouldn't be too out of date and it's what I'm working from to recover my devices and events.

I don't have a backup of the insteon.ini so this is where the problem kicks in.

it appears the Insteon plugin will remove Homeseer devices if they are referenced as an insteon device but it doesn't exist in the Insteon.ini file.

I've tested this a few times and I get messages on HS startup similar to this:

Mar-24 3:06:43 PM Insteon Deleted 35.65.B1:3 because it is was present in the HS database as ours but not actually referenced.
    Mar-24 3:06:43 PM Insteon Deleted 35.65.B1:2 because it is was present in the HS database as ours but not actually referenced.
    Mar-24 3:06:43 PM Insteon Deleted 42.A7.58:1 because it is was present in the HS database as ours but not actually referenced.
    Mar-24 3:06:43 PM Insteon 0 matching HS device records were found and updated for the Insteon group database.
    Mar-24 3:06:42 PM Insteon 3 Matching HS device records were found and updated for the Insteon device database.
    Mar-24 3:06:42 PM Insteon Trouble converting [] to integer
    Mar-24 3:06:42 PM Insteon Reloading 4 Insteon device information tables...
    Mar-24 3:06:42 PM Insteon Scheduled polling temporarily stopped.
    Mar-24 3:06:42 PM Insteon In CreateDevices

The Insteon plugin goes ahead an removes about 170 homeseer devices (sensors, switches, groups etc.)

Right now my plan is to write something in C# that looks the the .hsd sqlite file, and builds the insteon.ini file.

I've accomplished read the .hsd database and grabbing the name, location, location2, insteon code, as well as a bunch of other information. Inserting the Insteon DeviceID seems to prevent the plugin from deleting the homeseer devices. I think the plugin will even update the DeviceName, DeviceLocation properties also. Once it's loaded I think I could go to each device and poll it for it's links and settings.

What I can't seem to find is the DeviceType... on the few I've tried (all switchlincs) are 0120, but I fear that it's important and I can't recover this without readding the device using the "Add a New Insteon Device" button in the plugin

Is there any other recovery plan you can think of that will restore my Insteon.ini file from the .hsd file, and or the Interface links that are stored in the controller and switches?

I don't mind writing some code to pull all of this information together, I'm just trying to avoid starting from complete scratch.

Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

do you have a recent insteon error report log file? the insteon.ini is written to that at the bottom. search for [config] which should be the start of the ini file
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      do you have a recent insteon error report log file? the insteon.ini is written to that at the bottom. search for [config] which should be the start of the ini file
      Nope... I only have the .HSD file that I copied on a whim for some reason back in January... everything else that I have is before I moved to a new house and would be useless in terms of any associations, groups etc.

I think I found a solution that "might" work if I can build an assocation between device type which I can read from the hsd file, and the DeviceType ID's that will be needed for the .ini file. I only have 5 or 6 devices types that I'd need to make a map for.

What I'm trying to figure out now is the interface links seem to contain the groups that I'll need to reconstruct the groups, but I can't figure out how the insteon plugin keeps track of which group is which link identifier.

Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

here is an Group example from my setup. there are no Link definitions saved in the ini just the group participants and their settings

the hs group device Address is Group:2

[Group 2]
        Controller=2C.1F.3C:5
        GroupLocation=Dining Room
        GroupName=Lights
        GroupNum=2
        NumParticipants=3
        Participants=0B.6B.F4:1,100,31,2A.5E.88:1,100,31,2A.5E.C4:1, 100,31
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I think I might have found a way to generate part of that from the interface link database.. It looks like the second byte in the interface links is the PLM group number. What exactly does that first byte mean?

Do you happen to have a map of DeviceType string to DeviceTypeID's?

Example:
          012D = "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer (High Wattage)"
          0120 = "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer"
          0237 = "Insteon Dual-Band On/Off Module"

I feel like there has to be a solution to rebuild these from polling the interface, polling the devices, and poking around in that .hst file.
          Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

So far this is my dictionary of DeviceType strings to ID's

public Dictionary<string, string> deviceTypes = new Dictionary<string, string>()
            {
            { "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer (High Wattage)", "012D" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button On/Load", "" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button A", "" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button B", "" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button C", "" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button D", "" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer", "0120" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc On/Off", "022A" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Load", "" },
            { "Insteon Door Sensor Door Sensor", "1002" },
            { "Insteon Door Sensor Heartbeat", "1002" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band FanLinc Light", "" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band FanLinc Fan", "" },
            { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Door Sensor", "" },
            { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Heartbeat", "" },
            { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Low Battery", "" },
            { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Battery Level", "" },
            { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Occupancy Sensor", "" },
            { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Dusk/Dawn Sensor", "" },
            { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Low Battery Warning", "" },
            { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Heartbeat", "" },
            { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Tamper Switch", "" },
            { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Battery Level", "" },
            { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Temperature", "" },
            { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Light Level", "" },
            { "Insteon Siren Module Alarm Siren", "" },
            { "Insteon Siren Module Alarm Mode", "" },
            { "Insteon Siren Module Trigger Alarm in Home mode", "" },
            { "Insteon Siren Module Arm/Disarm in Home mode", "" },
            { "Insteon Siren Module Trigger Alarm in Away mode", "" },
            { "Insteon Siren Module Arm/Disarm in Away mode", "" },
            { "Insteon Siren Module Trigger Alarm", "" },
            { "Insteon Siren Module Arm/Disarm", "" },
            { "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - 8-Btn Keypad Button 1", "" },
            { "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - 8-Btn Keypad Button 2", "" },
            { "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - 8-Btn Keypad Button 3", "" },
            { "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - 8-Btn Keypad Button 4", "" },
            { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Door Sensor Closed Only", "" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band LampLinc", "" },
            { "Insteon Dual-Band On/Off Module", "0237" },
            { "Insteon SwitchLinc V2 Relay", "" }
            };

I do need to figure out too if the insteon.ini file needs one entry per Homeseer device, for devices that have multiple thinks like the motion sensor II's

Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

I've got that populated with what I think is right for each code...

when I'm starting up now, I'm getting these error messages:

/24/2019 10:17:47 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Deleted 2B.9F.E1:9 because it is was present in the HS database as ours but not actually referenced.
              3/24/2019 10:17:47 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Deleted 4E.11.9D:2 because it is was present in the HS database as ours but not actually referenced.
              3/24/2019 10:17:47 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Deleted Group:31 because it is was present in the HS database as ours but not actually referenced.
              3/24/2019 10:17:47 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Deleted Group:32 because it is was present in the HS database as ours but not actually referenced.

This is just a short example of what I'm getting, but it's basically removing all of the devices that are > xx.xx.xx:1
              I'm not quite sure how the .ini references the additional devices, that's something I need to work through.

How do I let the .INI file know about devices like xx.xx.xx:2 or > 1???

The groups are a little less important, but it appears to be a similar problem.

Also getting many of these:
              3/24/2019 10:17:47 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Trouble converting [] to integer

And these:
              3/24/2019 10:17:47 PM ~!~Insteon~!~Found unused link #21 in our address space, assigning for use.

But one thing at a time..
              Devices, Groups, Misc Errors, Links.

I feel like I'm getting close, many of my lights have started to respond to the Amazon Echo Alexa commands.

Posted for reference to what I last tried:
              public Dictionary<string, string> deviceTypes = new Dictionary<string, string>()
              {
              { "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer (High Wattage)", "012D" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button On/Load", "0142" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button A", "0142" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button B", "0142" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button C", "0142" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Button D", "0142" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Load", "0142" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer", "0120" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band SwitchLinc On/Off", "022A" },
              { "Insteon Door Sensor Door Sensor", "1002" },
              { "Insteon Door Sensor Heartbeat", "1002" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band FanLinc Light", "012E" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band FanLinc Fan", "012E" },
              { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Door Sensor", "1011" },
              { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Heartbeat", "1011" },
              { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Low Battery", "1011" },
              { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Battery Level", "1011" },
              { "Insteon Hidden Door Sensor Door Sensor Closed Only", "1011" },
              { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Occupancy Sensor", "1016" },
              { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Dusk/Dawn Sensor", "1016" },
              { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Low Battery Warning", "1016" },
              { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Heartbeat", "1016" },
              { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Tamper Switch", "1016" },
              { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Battery Level", "1016" },
              { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Temperature", "1016" },
              { "Insteon Motion Sensor II Light Level", "1016" },
              { "Insteon Siren Module Alarm Siren", "071E" },
              { "Insteon Siren Module Alarm Mode", "071E" },
              { "Insteon Siren Module Trigger Alarm in Home mode", "071E" },
              { "Insteon Siren Module Arm/Disarm in Home mode", "071E" },
              { "Insteon Siren Module Trigger Alarm in Away mode", "071E" },
              { "Insteon Siren Module Arm/Disarm in Away mode", "071E" },
              { "Insteon Siren Module Trigger Alarm", "071E" },
              { "Insteon Siren Module Arm/Disarm", "071E" },
              { "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - 8-Btn Keypad Button 1", "0005" },
              { "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - 8-Btn Keypad Button 2", "0005" },
              { "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - 8-Btn Keypad Button 3", "0005" },
              { "Insteon RemoteLinc 2 - 8-Btn Keypad Button 4", "0005" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band LampLinc", "012A" },
              { "Insteon Dual-Band On/Off Module", "0237" },
              { "Insteon SwitchLinc V2 Relay", "020A" }
              };
              Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Joe,
                i have another idea, what if you setup a temporary hs installation, and registered all the devices. this would rebuild your insteon.ini file for you. And is independent of dev.ref IDs. We can deal with the groups later. Then all you have to do is to move that insteon.ini to your production system. You of course will need to use the same insteon interface (plm, hub, etc) with the temp setup.

this is going to be way too much work to reverse engineer the ini, For example, there is not a one-to-one on device type string to device type number. the number is key for device features. KPLs are good example of this. the ini only need one section [device x] per physical device; the child devices are managed within that section.

i will look at alternatives to storing the insteon.ini file in the hsd file somehow.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

So when you say "and registered all the devices" I'm taking that as meaning..

Starting with an homeseer config with no devices yet (brand new .hsd file)

Adding each insteon device to the plugin via using the add by address feature (which will poll the device to get all of it's info)

It sounds like a tedious time consuming process of manual entering (especially since there are 3 text boxes and I can't cut and paste maybe I'll whip up some javascript to allow that), but I think you're right that it will work to create the devices in the Insteon.ini file.

After doing that if I were to load the .hst file that I have from January I would expect most devices to be matched and working (without the groups...)

I'm sort of wondering if a mass add feature would be possible in the future... I know all of the insteon codes, names and locations, I just need the plugin to poll each device to get the rest.

Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

You have the right idea. lets just try 5 devices as a test. You will need to update the channel names of the devices listed in the ini to match the hs device names

example for a KPL

[Device 31]
                    ChannelName1
                    ChannelName2
                    ChannelName3=KPL Dimmer - Button C High
                    ChannelName4=KPL Dimmer - Button D Med
                    ChannelName5=KPL Dimmer - Button E Low
                    ChannelName6=KPL Dimmer - Button F Off
                    ChannelName7
                    ChannelName8

these ini entries may be problematic; these entries are link numbers saved in the interface database associated with controlling individual kpl btns. they are sequential across all kpl btns. if you can register the KPLs in the order you previous installed them; i think this will be helpful.

GroupLinkAddress 1=3
                    GroupLinkAddress 2=4
                    GroupLinkAddress 3=5
                    GroupLinkAddress 4=6
                    GroupLinkAddress 5=7
                    GroupLinkAddress 6=8
                    GroupLinkAddress 7=9
                    GroupLinkAddress 8=10
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                      if you can register the KPLs in the order you previous installed them; i think this will be helpful.

GroupLinkAddress 1=3
                      GroupLinkAddress 2=4
                      GroupLinkAddress 3=5
                      GroupLinkAddress 4=6
                      GroupLinkAddress 5=7
                      GroupLinkAddress 6=8
                      GroupLinkAddress 7=9
                      GroupLinkAddress 8=10
                      Hmmmm. I'll have to see about that. I'm not sure I have any idea what order they were previously installed.
                      Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post

Hmmmm. I'll have to see about that. I'm not sure I have any idea what order they were previously installed.
                        if you can get a dump from the insteon interface (in the temp env), we might be able to determine the order, but you will need to able to identify your devices by insteon id
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Well I ran into a snag with trying to automate adding each device... This one is a kicker

I've been able to loop through devices, and call the add page automatically (to bulk add after extracting the data from the .hst file)

Trying as noted above with a blank .hst and blank insteon.ini file...

When I come to a battery powered device (I have a LOT of these... door sensors, motion sensors and 6 and 8 button keypads) I get this error:

The Insteon device at 35.65.B1 did not respond. Please check to make sure the address is correct and that the device is powered-up. The device was not registered.

Which ultimately means I have to find the correct device, run to wherever it is in the house, and turn it on into programming mode before I can continue. This makes me really sad, since it's pretty much going to mean I lose the rest of my hair before I'm back to a fully stable system if I want any chance of recovering everything.

Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Automated adding progress:
                            C# program that makes a post web request to the insteon plugin's add device page... then polls it until it's finished or errors out.

Starting with a blank .hsd file, 0 devices in insteon.ini file.

Takes about one hour to loop through all of the unique insteon ID's (xx.xx.xx) that I have not skipped, I have 16 physical devices that it's skipping over due to them either being battery powered, unplugged, or causing an error while polling.

The one error that I seem to be having with one device is: "The device properties could not be read. Communication failure. The device was not added." I happens to be a KPL, I'll have to look at the hardware later and see if it's functioning at all.

After this program runs, I have 94 devices in the .hsd file, and 67 devices in the insteon.ini file.

So this is progress, but I feel like I have a bit yet to go.

Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Looks like you are making progress. Please keep in mind that there is not a one-to-one relation between hs devices and insteon devices in the ini. There will be more hs devices.

i would suggest deactivating link mode on the wireless devices after it is registered so it doesn't interfere with the next registration
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X