X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Handle Temporary Insteon Deployments

A general question:

I have a few Insteon outdoor modules that I only deploy around the holidays. I take them out and store them around mid-January. What is the best way to handle this in the configuration?
    1. Leave them in year-round and ignore them
    2. Leave them in year-round and hide them from all views
    3. Take them out, hide them from all views, then during the holidays re-deploy them and unhide them
    4. Take them out, delete them, then during the holidays redeploy them and rediscover them
    5. Stop celebrating the holidays, your an atheist fer cryin out loud
    How do y'all handle this?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

i do #3. make sure to set the polling to 0 for these devices.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Which brings up the subject of polling, but I'll start a new topic for that. I have all my devices set to 0 for polling, unless I'm trouble-shooting something. Isn't that what it's for?

Jim Speiser
      38-year veteran of Home Automation
      Still don't know squat

Comment

I think the polling is also to allow a weak Insteon system with high errors and poor communications to "re-sync" itself by polling regularly to catch up on missed commands.

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
          A general question:

I have a few Insteon outdoor modules that I only deploy around the holidays. I take them out and store them around mid-January. What is the best way to handle this in the configuration?
          1. Leave them in year-round and ignore them
          2. Leave them in year-round and hide them from all views
          3. Take them out, hide them from all views, then during the holidays re-deploy them and unhide them
          4. Take them out, delete them, then during the holidays redeploy them and rediscover them
          5. Stop celebrating the holidays, your an atheist fer cryin out loud
          How do y'all handle this?
          I bring mine in the house, plug them in, and ignore them, IE your number 1. That's probably wasting a couple dollars worth of electricity every year, but its not enough to be worth the hassle of modifying the system twice a year.

Comment

Working...
          X