This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polling?

I am a little fuzzy on the polling function.
    1. Under what circumstances would you set a device's polling interval to something other than zero? I would think this is for troubleshooting purposes, and that it would normally stay at zero?
    2. Then there is the intrinsic HomeSeer polling function, the "broadcasting antenna" icon, I assume this is what we use to have HomeSeer "catch up" with any changes while it was down (since the Power Failure Recovery function is a complete dunsel). It's pretty handy, but is that function addressable through scripting, and if so, wouldn't it make sense to just make it part of the start-up script?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

I use the polling for devices that don't update hs status consistently. specifically on devices (lights & fans) that i want to turn off via an event.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Picking up where we left off...So basically, yes, it's for troubleshooting, right?

But my main question again is, can the polling function be called from a script? Can I insert something in the startup script that polls all devices for their current status?

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

I use polling on appliance type devices. Those do not resume to the same state after a power failure, they always stay off when power comes back. Sometimes, they get unplugged and then plugged back in, or a GFI trips and gets reset. Polling every so often is the only way to catch that this happened.

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
          Picking up where we left off...So basically, yes, it's for troubleshooting, right?

But my main question again is, can the polling function be called from a script? Can I insert something in the startup script that polls all devices for their current status?
          the latest beta has a poll all devices event action. you can create an manual action,and then run that event from the startup script
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post

the latest beta has a poll all devices event action. you can create an manual action,and then run that event from the startup script
            OK, that'll work. Thanks.

Jim Speiser
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Slight bug in that event setup (or is it a feature?) Polling interval defaults to 2 seconds, but apparently the interface doesn't like that number, you have to choose another, or the event won't "take."

Jim Speiser
              Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
                Slight bug in that event setup (or is it a feature?) Polling interval defaults to 2 seconds, but apparently the interface doesn't like that number, you have to choose another, or the event won't "take."
                small bug. as a work around, select 3, save, then select 2 and save
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Compliance. Success. Gratitude.

Jim Speiser
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

Mark

just installed an MS II. I want to use it to detect when it starts to get dark outside and then trigger the lights. What I think I saw was that the light level jumped from 119 to 30. My event tested for when the light went below 65. It fired when the light level was 30. From what I can see, it is not possible to set a polling interval.

My other idea was to use the built in night/day setting. Problem with that setting is that the event tests are looking for a numeric range or for an invalid state. All I wanted was an ON or OFF as per the state on the Device Management screen. Should I test for a 1 instead of an ON??

would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by brmeeke View Post
                      Mark

just installed an MS II. I want to use it to detect when it starts to get dark outside and then trigger the lights. What I think I saw was that the light level jumped from 119 to 30. My event tested for when the light went below 65. It fired when the light level was 30. From what I can see, it is not possible to set a polling interval.

My other idea was to use the built in night/day setting. Problem with that setting is that the event tests are looking for a numeric range or for an invalid state. All I wanted was an ON or OFF as per the state on the Device Management screen. Should I test for a 1 instead of an ON??

would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Brian
                      0 is Off, 100 is On. you can use these values in one of the standard.

or use the Insteon Special Trigger like the following
                      IF Family Room Motion Sensor II - Dusk/Dawn Sensor Dusk/Dawn Sensor: Transmits an On Command
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks for letting me know... I will try it tonight

Comment

Mark - I have changed the coding on the event to use an Insteon Special Trigger. Testing of the light level is ongoing. One question that I do have is related to polling. How often does Homeseer poll the motion sensor? Is there a way to change it? During the day or night, polling is not an issue but as Night approaches then it is very important to poll more frequently to catch the point when the Dusk Sensor detects the fading light so that appropriate events can be triggered.

Thank you for your assistance

Brian

Comment

Brian
                            when the MS is powered by a battery, you can't poll the MS on a frequency. However the heartbeat does send some key values on the Heartbeat interval setting. you can also adjust that, and the Day and Night Light settings.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I am going to plug it in vs battery. Does that change anything

Comment

Working...
                              X