This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

I would like to see Insteon update its product line more than worrying about cloud to cloud services. A color bulb using Insteon protocol would be nice. Or any bulb or socket module for that matter. An updated PLM is long overdue. One with a faster processor and larger link table and maybe a stronger powerline signal.How about ditching the color filters on the switch LEDs and going with multi-color indicators like on Homeseer Z-Wave switches?
    Now we're talking. You're not alone in that sentiment.

The bulbs I'm not too interested in... z-wave tried and the vendors didn't do a great job. Insteon did try and had issues. I think the market is saturated with bulbs... Insteon is great though for controlling those bulbs (Hue, LIFX) through the nodeservers with insteon remotes or KPL's though. Having native dim up/down from a KPL or remote as if it was a standard Insteon dimmer is awesome... no need for 50,000 events to dim/brighten a single or group of bulbs....

Now what I want to see is the Dual-Band kicked up a notch and FIX the stupid MSII finally and put out better sensors and return the dual scene capability or at least provide a ON-ONLY function to the open/close sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

Now we're talking. You're not alone in that sentiment.

The bulbs I'm not too interested in... z-wave tried and the vendors didn't do a great job. Insteon did try and had issues. I think the market is saturated with bulbs... Insteon is great though for controlling those bulbs (Hue, LIFX) through the nodeservers with insteon remotes or KPL's though. Having native dim up/down from a KPL or remote as if it was a standard Insteon dimmer is awesome... no need for 50,000 events to dim/brighten a single or group of bulbs....

Now what I want to see is the Dual-Band kicked up a notch and FIX the stupid MSII finally and put out better sensors and return the dual scene capability or at least provide a ON-ONLY function to the open/close sensor.
      The reason I need bulbs or Socketlincs is because I have fixtures with no switch or access to place inline modules. (originally were pull chains). It is just a big hole in the product line that there is no socket based solution for Insteon.

My problem with using Insteon to control Hue or Lifx, besides having to consume precious Wi-Fi addresses or build out the Zigbee mesh with extra hubs and repeaters to reach the required areas, is that the PLM on the ISY does not reliably hear all transmissions from local control actions. I can reach everything from the admin console and console initiated actions work 100% of the time but the PLM goes deaf sometimes and misses local button presses so I am reluctant to depend on it. Done some testing with Z-Wave switches controlling Hue which looks promising but until there is a newer better PLM I don;t see Local Insteon Switch actions sent to an ISY as being a good choice where reliability is important.

Comment

The reason I need bulbs or Socketlincs is because I have fixtures with no switch or access to place inline modules. (originally were pull chains). It is just a big hole in the product line that there is no socket based solution for Insteon.

My problem with using Insteon to control Hue or Lifx, besides having to consume precious Wi-Fi addresses or build out the Zigbee mesh with extra hubs and repeaters to reach the required areas, is that the PLM on the ISY does not reliably hear all transmissions from local control actions. I can reach everything from the admin console and console initiated actions work 100% of the time but the PLM goes deaf sometimes and misses local button presses so I am reluctant to depend on it. Done some testing with Z-Wave switches controlling Hue which looks promising but until there is a newer better PLM I don;t see Local Insteon Switch actions sent to an ISY as being a good choice where reliability is important.
        I can agree it is a hole in the product line and if done well (not like the last attempt) it would be a good addition to have Insteon bulbs. In the meantime I have Hue and LIFX and I have not (yet) experienced any issues with them and KPL's for control of them.

I have not experienced an issue with a PLM "going deaf" to physical control from switches/KPL's. I have had issues with sensors mostly open/close sensors where the program does not run as quickly as expected. I've found this is not a "miss" but a control protocol timing. The open/close sensors will send two messages and the ISY waits for both before doing anything. I personally don't like this. This results in the "view" that the message was "missed" because nothing happened or there is a very long delay in something happening at which point naturally you will open close the door again or push the button again. Then things "work". There is a tuning for this.

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalol
          X10 has socket rockets that work fairly well and should work with Mark's plugin.
          I originally had those. Then went to Insteon SocketLincs. Then went to Insteon Bulbs. Will probably just go to Hue bulbs controlled by SwitchLinc Keypads but I need to work out how to do it without too much complexity.

Comment

I originally had those. Then went to Insteon SocketLincs. Then went to Insteon Bulbs. Will probably just go to Hue bulbs controlled by SwitchLinc Keypads but I need to work out how to do it without too much complexity.
            I sent you a message how I do it with the ISY which I've found to be the easiest/cleanest way.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

I sent you a message how I do it with the ISY which I've found to be the easiest/cleanest way.
              Got it. Thanks.

Comment

I would like see new PLMs first from Insteon...the reliability issues still happen on a regular basis; if you read many tech forums most of us that use Insteon actually buy backup USB / Serial PLMs (Newest version), because of the failures every year or 2.

Comment

Isn't there a way to go in and replace caps and make other modifications that improve them? Might be worth the effort if you end up with a better PLM than you would get by simply buying a new one.

Comment

Isn't there a way to go in and replace caps and make other modifications that improve them? Might be worth the effort if you end up with a better PLM than you would get by simply buying a new one.
                    My experience is that this works for some failures, but not for all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

My experience is that this works for some failures, but not for all of them.
                      Plus - I get it, sometimes hardware fails. Please provide a recovery or backup process to rebuild a Hub.

Comment

Originally posted by dmauer View Post

Plus - I get it, sometimes hardware fails. Please provide a recovery or backup process to rebuild a Hub.
                        Which hub are you referring to? The Insteon hub or using a PLM with software or ISY? The ISY has built in backup/restore capabilities as does software like the Insteon plugin. I ask about the Insteon hub because I have no experience with it. I have one...in a box...

Comment

This is nice to hear experts and even masters chatting about a letter. Developers like yourselves will push the narrative. Mark do you have any thoughts on this?

Comment

I'm from the 'show me' camp. Lets see what new devices they release (i haven't seen anything for a while during this transition). Also, how will they support us third party developers, and beta testers. Some of the proposed integration with other platforms is lost on me.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                              I'm from the 'show me' camp. Lets see what new devices they release (i haven't seen anything for a while during this transition). Also, how will they support us third party developers, and beta testers. Some of the proposed integration with other platforms is lost on me.
                              They should be asking you for your ideas at least. I agree show me the goods. Your work has surpassed their "public" option. Insteon should have Pro versions of everything by now and you should be a part of that imho.

Comment

That's a compliment Mark!

Comment

Working...
                                X