• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upstatemike
    replied
    Originally posted by ttantalol View Post
    Playing Well with Others
    As our long-time customers know, Insteon has always been a pioneer in the development of smart lighting and electrical-control technology. With the emergence of platforms like Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and others, Insteon products can be integrated with a seemingly endless number of smarthome devices via the cloud. To this end, we are in the process of making substantial investments to our Insteon cloud-to-cloud services, which will expand our ability to work well with other products, platforms, and services.
    I would like to see Insteon update its product line more than worrying about cloud to cloud services. A color bulb using Insteon protocol would be nice. Or any bulb or socket module for that matter. An updated PLM is long overdue. One with a faster processor and larger link table and maybe a stronger powerline signal.How about ditching the color filters on the switch LEDs and going with multi-color indicators like on Homeseer Z-Wave switches?

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied
    You need to give INSTEON a better chance. Maybe apple can spend some of their billions to allow this cooperation.
    I need to give Insteon a chance? I'm a Certified Insteon Partner... is that good enough for you?

Apple doesn't have to spend money but they do need to open things up a bit more to allow "hubs" and automation systems to integrate. The problem currently are the Apple restrictions.

Leave a comment:

• upstatemike
    replied
    Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

Lutron, hue, harmony... bridges not automation systems. Also caveat only Lutron Caseta bridge supports HomeKit their high end systems don't which sucks. Point being they are treated as appliances and use that route to interface with HomeKit not as a HomeKit bridge.

Truth sucks but there isn't a single Home Automation System on the market currently with native HomeKit integration. The only system that could count was the Insteon Hub and it had so many issues that it was discontinued. This is a hot topic on the Universal Devices (ISY) forum as well. Lots want HomeKit integration. I'm looking into possible options to bring it but there's not that many other than the current homebridge option that's already available.

Even Home Assistant and OpenHAB are using a homebridge plugin.... it's the path of least resistance currently.
    What value add would Homekit bring to Homeseer? the ability to control devices from an iPhone? A logic engine to create events? Apart from Siri (the least capable of the available voice assistants) what could you do with Homekit integration that you can't already do with just Homeseer by itself?

Leave a comment:

• ttantalol
    replied
    Playing Well with Others
    As our long-time customers know, Insteon has always been a pioneer in the development of smart lighting and electrical-control technology. With the emergence of platforms like Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and others, Insteon products can be integrated with a seemingly endless number of smarthome devices via the cloud. To this end, we are in the process of making substantial investments to our Insteon cloud-to-cloud services, which will expand our ability to work well with other products, platforms, and services.

Leave a comment:

• ttantalol
    replied
    You need to give INSTEON a better chance. Maybe apple can spend some of their billions to allow this cooperation.

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied

Dude what's your gig?
    Can you elaborate with your pointed questioning?

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied
    Originally posted by jlrichar View Post

Lutron, hue, harmony. Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Lutron, hue, harmony... bridges not automation systems. Also caveat only Lutron Caseta bridge supports HomeKit their high end systems don't which sucks. Point being they are treated as appliances and use that route to interface with HomeKit not as a HomeKit bridge.

Truth sucks but there isn't a single Home Automation System on the market currently with native HomeKit integration. The only system that could count was the Insteon Hub and it had so many issues that it was discontinued. This is a hot topic on the Universal Devices (ISY) forum as well. Lots want HomeKit integration. I'm looking into possible options to bring it but there's not that many other than the current homebridge option that's already available.

Even Home Assistant and OpenHAB are using a homebridge plugin.... it's the path of least resistance currently.

Leave a comment:

• ttantalol
    replied

Yeah I'm using homeseer as well , maybe this letter is powder puff.

Leave a comment:

• jlrichar
    replied

Another company talking about adding HomeKit support. First try didn't go so well..... Abode has talked about it too... nothing material yet. There isn't a single "hub" or other full automation system out there today that has native HomeKit integration.

There is the homebridge-homeseer-2018 integration. That will give you Siri or you can use Siri Shortcuts to setup direct command integration.

Leave a comment:

• ttantalol
    replied

Another company talking about adding HomeKit support. First try didn't go so well..... Abode has talked about it too... nothing material yet. There isn't a single "hub" or other full automation system out there today that has native HomeKit integration.

There is the homebridge-homeseer-2018 integration. That will give you Siri or you can use Siri Shortcuts to setup direct command integration.
    Dude what's your gig?

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied
    But another company adding HomeKit support to their products after Apple removed the hardware requirements. Hopefully rjh is paying attention to this. Many companies that have Alexa and Assistant have or are adding HomeKit now. Lutron, Hue, whirlpool ..... So come on Homeseer.

Leave a comment:

• jlrichar
    replied
    But another company adding HomeKit support to their products after Apple removed the hardware requirements. Hopefully rjh is paying attention to this. Many companies that have Alexa and Assistant have or are adding HomeKit now. Lutron, Hue, whirlpool ..... So come on Homeseer.

Leave a comment:

• upstatemike
    replied
    You are right. Just marketing fluff.

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied
    Originally posted by upstatemike
    Anybody have a link? I have enough Insteon to want to know what they are saying.
    Letter from the New CEO
    Hello, Insteon Community!

As Insteon’s new CEO, I wanted to reach out and introduce myself. There’s been a lot going on behind the scenes, and I’m thrilled to finally share some of that with you.

Like our customers, I’m passionate about products that improve people’s lives with technology. I join Insteon with decades of experience at Microsoft, Nokia, Universal Electronics, and more, so you can be confident Insteon is in good hands!

I came to Insteon because I believe so strongly that we are positioned to be an important player in the Internet of Things (IoT) space. With our new board of directors and management team in place, and with amazing new advisors like the founder of Sonos, we’ve kicked off a new chapter at Insteon, committed to our mission of delivering truly world-class lighting and electrical-control products and services.

Insteon has always been a pioneer in smart lighting and electrical control, but being a pioneer hasn’t always been easy. In the past, the company made some mistakes, and we’ve gone to great effort to address those issues, but through it all we’ve never stopped listening to you, and we thank you for always pushing us to be our best.Please keep the feedback coming.

Below is a preview of what we have in store for you as we kick off this new chapter. I hope you find it as exciting and inspiring as I do
    Rob Lilleness, CEO
    New App for iOS & Android
    We’ve been hard at work developing a new Insteon mobile app, which has been reimagined from the ground up. With the new app, you’ll experience a modern new look, fast response times, a simplified way to create and control scenes, Sunrise and Sunset offsets, and much more!

We are coding the new app in a framework called React Native that enables us to use a single codebase for both the iOS and Android apps, so both apps will share the same functionality. Equally important, as you give us feedback, this framework improves our ability to deliver app updates more frequently. We’ve included a few screenshots from the new app below.

Speaking of feedback, we're aiming to start beta testing in a month, so if you’re interested in getting involved and providing us with your input, please sign up to be a beta tester.
    Playing Well with Others

Apple fans will be happy to hear that we are investing in research and development into the updated Homekit ecosystem. One of the things we respect most about HomeKit is Apple's commitment to security, but HomeKit’s initial architecture proved costly and challenging for the industry to adopt. Consequently, it didn’t allow us to give our customers the user experience (and level of responsiveness) that we thought they deserved. We are now working hard to integrate with Apple’s updated approach so we can be as effortlessly compatible with Apple HomeKit as we are with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and others.
    Raising the Bar on Our Customer Service
    Key to this new chapter at Insteon is a commitment to supporting our customers. We’ve gone through periods of unexpected growth when customer-service wait times were nearly 30 minutes! Obviously, that’s not acceptable, and we took action by onboarding more customer-service representatives and by investing in training. Today, our average wait time is less than three minutes, and the training seems to be paying off — we routinely get emails and letters complimenting our support team.
    Much, Much More Ahead
    We’ve been heads-down, laser-focused on the future of Insteon so we can continue our mission to deliver lighting and electrical control products and services that provide world-class reliability, scalability, and ease of use. We’re working on even more new and exciting things for you — all of which will work with the Insteon products we sell today, and which will include the dependable dual-band technology that has kept our customers loyal for so many years.

Speaking of compatibility, we’re proud of the fact that Insteon switches sold over 10 years ago can work with modern-day voice assistants that hadn’t even been conceived of back then! We know that it’s important to you that we do things “the right way” (so you don’t have to upgrade to new light switches the way you might upgrade to a new smartphone every few years). You don’t want a house full of disposable gadgets reliant on technology fads, and neither do we. We continue to be committed to this approach as a core value of our culture, so you can feel confident that you’ve chosen the right products for your home.
    Thanks for Your Feedback & Support
    Lastly, thanks to all of you who have been providing feedback and direction along the way. We’re going to need you more than ever to help us prioritize the features, optimizations, and integrations that are most valuable to you. If you have reactions you’d like to share or questions you’d like to see us address, please reach out to us. Expect to see a lot of great new things in the coming months!
    Thank you,
    The Insteon Team

Leave a comment:

• ttantalol
    started a topic Insteon CEO letter

Insteon CEO letter

Wow, what a letter! I'm excited about this. Thank you Insteon!
Working...
X