This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to read device info from hub

I'm evaluating Homeseer and this plugin. I have been able to get Homeseer and this plugin to authenticate to my Insteon Hub. I would expect it could interrogate the hub and pull room and device and scene info from the hub, yet I do not see any of that on the Homeseer interface. I had a much older version of Homeseer for years, and that supported "Tap add" for adding new insteon devices - I do not see that supported now. I certainly do not want to go around the house and remove all the switch covers and write down the device addresses to add devices. I must be missing something.

The plugin only uses the hub as a network based interface to your insteon network. it will not read or reuse any setup programmed into it via the insteon app. You will need to register your insteon devices via the plugin to in order to control them via homeseer.

Two basic reasons for this: (1) the insteon app uses a completely different api for registering and controlling devices. (2) the insteon app writes to the link database a little differently than the plugin does.

In the end, you really don't need the insteon app to use the insteon hub with homeseer. you can use the plugin to program everything, and still use alexa or google home to control lights via homeseer. The plugin will give you more configuration options per device than the insteon app, and probably supports more devices than the hub.

good luck with your evaluation
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
    X