X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum hardware to use Insteon with HS3

Guys,
    I've got a new customer who is insistent on going with Insteon. What is the minimum hardware/software to start with Insteon? Would the 2413U or 2413S/Insteon plugin/HS3/hardware be all that is needed to get started?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Yep. The PLM is so critical that I keep a spare on hand. My primary is almost 15 years old but still working fine. Be sure and get dual band devices if you have a choice.

Comment

Dual Insteon devices are listed nicely as those with two checkmarks @ https://www.insteon.com/support-know...nsteon-devices

Comment

Unless buying old/used equipment I think the IOLinc is the only NONE dual-band Insteon device left. Everything else is dual-band which makes it a non issue anymore.

Comment

Regarding dual band, I'm probably sensitive to it since I have several older switches without it. I also use battery powered devices (motion, door/window, minimote) so the dual band really is important. In one area of the house I had to replace an older but working switch with a newer one to get better coverage.

Comment

I'd be interested in hearing just WHY your customer insists on Insteon for a new install. I probably would, too, but only because I don't know enough about Zigbee, etc. What has s/he heard about Insteon?

Jim Speiser
            38-year veteran of Home Automation
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
              I'd be interested in hearing just WHY your customer insists on Insteon for a new install. I probably would, too, but only because I don't know enough about Zigbee, etc. What has s/he heard about Insteon?
              Jim, His son uses Insteon and has a lot of good things to say so Dad is going with it or at least partially with it.

Comment

What does dual band do for you. Does it bridge the phases of the house. Is there any other equipment needed for dual band to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  What does dual band do for you. Does it bridge the phases of the house. Is there any other equipment needed for dual band to work?
                  Dual band uses both the powerline and wireless.
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

For me, the dual mode allows the closest battery powered device a good way to get to the PLM.

When I first got into insteon, it was customary to get 2 range extenders (which were dual band) and put one on each phase to bridge them. As I've added more dual mode devices, I no longer use the range extenders.

Comment

Rupp

Menards has been dumping all their Insteon stock. Right now you can purchase an Insteon hub Model 2245-222 for $49.00. It lists for about $79.00. They also have some starter kits for $99.00, which is $100.00 off list price.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
                        Rupp

Menards has been dumping all their Insteon stock. Right now you can purchase an Insteon hub Model 2245-222 for $49.00. It lists for about $79.00. They also have some starter kits for $99.00, which is $100.00 off list price.
                        I looked online and there were no PLM's. I wonder if the PLM is old stock and would that matter? We do not have Menards in this area but thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Stores dumping can be a good sign with new product lines gearing up for release, but I think in this case Menards is just clearing space.

Rupp would one of these work for you? https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-24...b-adapter.html or is the Insteon 2245-222 Hub a necessity? Same site sells a refurb PLM for $60, but then it might be smarter to contact a friend/family that lives close to a Menards where a new one is $49.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

I looked online and there were no PLM's. I wonder if the PLM is old stock and would that matter? We do not have Menards in this area but thanks for the heads up.
                            You can use the 2245-222 Hub in place of the PLM. I have the 2245-222 Hub for my few Insteon devices. It was on sale at Menards so I thought I would try it. Seems to be working well. Menards can ship it to your home. I am using Mark Sandler's plugin.

Comment

Working...
                            X