Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS4 with the mnsandler Insteon plugin...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 with the mnsandler Insteon plugin...

Hi Mark, just curious if you plan to extend your plug-in in to HomeSeer 4 since it is now being promoted for next year?
    If not, then I wont be upgrading to the new version since my whole home is Insteon.

Regards,
    Tony
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
    Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

The HS4 announcement says existing HS3 plugins will run under HS4. I'm with you though in that if HS4 wouldn't run Marks plugin, I would not upgrade either. But, I don't think that would happen. Mark would surely adjust if it was possible. Hopefully he confirms this.

Comment

All,
      I have every plan to support HS4. I guess my question for this forum is, why would you upgrade my plugin to an HS4 version, if you could continue to use the HS3 plugin version?

Obviously at some point i will stop evolving the HS3 version (including adding new insteon device support)

That said, if you had to upgrade to HS4 to get the latest insteon device support (via an HS4 plugin), how would you feel about that?

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

That’s what i was affraid of. Devs will want us to upgrade to an hs4 plugin $

Comment

I'm fine with you moving your dev to V4, that would be a smart move for you. I would upgrade your plug-in, if for no other reason than compensation for the amount of time you've put in to it.

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

I'm going to keep using Mark's Insteon plugin - HS3, HS4, same plugin, new plugin - whatever it takes...

Comment

Originally posted by rjh
              An HS4 upgrade is not going to be like HS3 was. HS3 was a major re-write and HS4 is going to add new features but not break any existing functionality. There are so many HS3 users that a plugin author would be making a big mistake to make an HS4 only plugin.
              Just. A reminder

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                That’s what i was affraid of. Devs will want us to upgrade to an hs4 plugin $
                You would not be obligated to upgrade. What you have will continue to work. You'd just not get anything new without upgrading. That seems more than fair to me. Software has been doing that since it's inception. Mark has countless hours in to the development of this plug-in. That's worth something.

Comment

This is not a rewrite . This is just adding new features . And It is not just about this plugin.. this is for every plugins...(more than $300).

I would be ready to spend money for an upgrade path... but not to buy the plugins again

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                    This is not a rewrite . This is just adding new features . And It is not just about this plugin.. this is for every plugins...(more than $300).

I would be ready to spend money for an upgrade path... but not to buy the plugins again
                    This will make it hard to upgrade a plugin. I completely understand where you are coming from , I run a ton of plugins. I can't shell out all at once for them again even if it was 50% off the normal price for an upgrade.

From a developers point of view though I will tell you that creating an hs4 plugin won't be trivial and then the thought of maintaining 2 sets of code is also daunting.

It will be a pure catch22 for most devs. Do a lot of work to upgrade the plugin to HS4 and not charge for existing customers and depend on new ones to support that work, or keep your plugin as an HS3 plugin which may or may not work as optimally in HS4 as a native HS4 plugin would.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh
                      There are so many HS3 users that a plugin author would be making a big mistake to make an HS4 only plugin.
                      That doesn't make any sense.

i don't think an HS4 plugin is going to be backwards compatible with HS3. So there will eventually have to be an HS4 only version. The real question is, how well will an HS3 plugin work with HS4. I'll know soon enough

For those users that don't want to deal and/or get new features, the HS4 plugin will be available as an upgrade option. End-of-life must come at some point.

comments welcome

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                        ...That said, if you had to upgrade to HS4 to get the latest insteon device support (via an HS4 plugin), how would you feel about that?
                        Not too good, but I'm probably an edge case. I have, want, need HSPhone. Since HS4 won't support that, I currently have no intent to go to HS4.

Comment

HS Phone is a must have. Every call that comes into my house has Caller ID announced by Homeseer. Also don't understand how some folks use cell phones only with no land line. I don't even have cell coverage in some parts of the house so would never rely on it as my primary point of contact! Hopefully this will be reconsidered before HS4 is released. (Maybe HS Phone becomes a Plugin instead of a built-in feature?)

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                            I don't even have cell coverage in some parts of the house so would never rely on it as my primary point of contact!
                            Never understood a need for landline scenario, until I moved to this new rural area.

My primary number runs via Skype PBX so it works on multiple devices at once via Ethernet, WiFi, or LTE; gave up on a hard-line and use some form of VoIP for the last 20 years and never looked back. Caller ID works via Skype API, but I only use that on my HTPC to auto-pause media playback on an incoming call from a whitelist of important contacts. However, SMS on my cell-number only works via 3G/LTE and I got shitty cell coverage in most areas of this house alike to your situation.

Solution I went with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D8QHZWG/

It took a while to find the best antenna positioning, as I'm on AT&T and other cells in this house are on Verizon, but went from half-a-bar to no-signal with many dropped calls of delayed messages to 5-bars upstairs and 4-bars in the basement (full LTE as well so >50Mbps data speeds, etc.), and I'm probably helping the neighbors as well. Only works if you have a signal outside, because an amplifier like this cannot amplify a non-existing signal obviously. In my case I also had to get the antenna way up into the air due to massive tree coverage around me, but it worked out really well. Positioning of antenna was done after finding a map where AT&T and Verizon cell towers were shown in relation to me and then find a set located close together.

Comment

Guys no more talk about phones and HSphone. lets keep this thread to HS4 and Insteon.
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X