Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insteon PLM sale....is the USB version just as good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insteon PLM sale....is the USB version just as good?

Smarthome is selling PLMs (USB and Serial) for 29.99 until Friday. Use code PLM29. It is good to always have a spare around.
    I have been using the serial versions since the beginning, but wondering if the USB versions are now problem free. I recall one had to add a driver at one point, but just wondering if the user experience on the USB version has been as good as the serial version. If so, I might buy USB to have around the next time a PLM fails.

I always had used serial version because anything supports serial communications. But, I figure that the USB versions use some sort of FTDI (serial to USB) converter. So, in end-effect it is probably the same thing. I dunno,
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
      ... But, I figure that the USB versions use some sort of FTDI (serial to USB) converter. So, in end-effect it is probably the same thing. I dunno,
      Yes, that does appear to be the case. I've used USB PLMs for several years now. I don't recall any USB related problems.
      Thanks for the heads up. A spare is a very good idea.

Comment

Only issue with the USB version is that it doesn't seem to recover after a power outage. I have to restart the plug-in to get comms back. The built-in actions to reset do not do it.
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
        Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
        Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
          Only issue with the USB version is that it doesn't seem to recover after a power outage. I have to restart the plug-in to get comms back. The built-in actions to reset do not do it.
          Odd, it works for me. I do disable it as soon as I detect power failure, and then re-enable it a minute after power has returned.

Comment

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
            Tony, start a new thread about this issue, and i can provide some suggestions. I want to leave this thread related to OP
            Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.435
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
            Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Working...
            X