Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insteon PLM sale....is the USB version just as good?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon PLM sale....is the USB version just as good?

Smarthome is selling PLMs (USB and Serial) for 29.99 until Friday. Use code PLM29. It is good to always have a spare around.
    I have been using the serial versions since the beginning, but wondering if the USB versions are now problem free. I recall one had to add a driver at one point, but just wondering if the user experience on the USB version has been as good as the serial version. If so, I might buy USB to have around the next time a PLM fails.

I always had used serial version because anything supports serial communications. But, I figure that the USB versions use some sort of FTDI (serial to USB) converter. So, in end-effect it is probably the same thing. I dunno,
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
      ... But, I figure that the USB versions use some sort of FTDI (serial to USB) converter. So, in end-effect it is probably the same thing. I dunno,
      Yes, that does appear to be the case. I've used USB PLMs for several years now. I don't recall any USB related problems.
      Thanks for the heads up. A spare is a very good idea.

Comment

Only issue with the USB version is that it doesn't seem to recover after a power outage. I have to restart the plug-in to get comms back. The built-in actions to reset do not do it.
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
        Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
        Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
          Only issue with the USB version is that it doesn't seem to recover after a power outage. I have to restart the plug-in to get comms back. The built-in actions to reset do not do it.
          Odd, it works for me. I do disable it as soon as I detect power failure, and then re-enable it a minute after power has returned.

Comment

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
            Tony, start a new thread about this issue, and i can provide some suggestions. I want to leave this thread related to OP
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
            X