Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovering Insteon plug-in after a power outage...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please don't take this the wrong way, the underlying issue is that the plugin\homeseer\PLM is unable to recover from power outages and return to a functional state without some sort of intervention.

The underlying process that handles this communication need to be updated, all these other steps (events, UPS triggers, etc..) are bandaids.

In order to trigger an event on power failure you need some sort of status input, etc, etc... the issue is moot if the plugin was able to establish communication effectively once power is restored... or anytime you plug in the PLM for that matter.

Comment

I guess the assumption is that the problem is in the plugin, and not in the USB section of the PLM itself, or its driver. If that's true, then yes it can be fixed in the plugin. It its not true, then it may or may not be possible to fix it in the plugin. Personally, my home automation solution would not work well for me if it didn't know when the power was out. Insteon is only one of several reasons that I need power failure awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
        Personally, my home automation solution would not work well for me if it didn't know when the power was out. Insteon is only one of several reasons that I need power failure awareness.
        How do you determine power has failed?

Comment

Originally posted by allenc3 View Post
          How do you determine power has failed?
          BLUPS
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...on/blups-blade
          I think it works with any UPS that works natively with Windows.

Comment

For me Insteon seems to be the only component that has issues with power outages, I'm running, zWave, Insteon, RaspberryIO, Ecobee and SDJ-Vstat.

If there is a bug in the hardware or driver components I would report it and then code around it, or at least mitigate the issue until resolved

In the meantime I'm going to try creating a virtual device with it's on\off condition set by my Ecobee online\offline status (it should go offline when the power is off) with an event to shut down\start Insteon accordingly.

I also have this event
            IF Interface stops responding
            OR IF Interface crashes
            THEN Disable Interface
            WAIT 10 seconds
            THEN Enable Interface

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

BLUPS
              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...on/blups-blade
              I think it works with any UPS that works natively with Windows.
              Have to note however, this requires a UPS with a USB connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticka View Post

Have to note however, this requires a UPS with a USB connection.
                Yes, I assumed that and have that, but I have removed my UPS as I don't think it is needed to do home automation so long as the HA system can properly recover from a power loss.

Comment

Yes, I assumed that and have that, but I have removed my UPS as I don't think it is needed to do home automation so long as the HA system can properly recover from a power loss.
                  I would be really worried about the HS database being corrupted by the unexpected shutdown when power fails.

Comment

Any of you running a UPS on your HS system need to consider what happens when the UPS battery dies after a long outage. In my case as I wrote above, when power was restored, the UPS did not turn on. It was an APC model 900 something and does not restart after power is restored, but I did not know that until it happened and I was away from town for weeks. Who ever tests a battery runout on their UPS, but you should. Pull the plug and let it go until it drops offline. Then plug it back in and see what happens.

Comment

Any of you running a UPS on your HS system need to consider what happens when the UPS battery dies after a long outage. In my case as I wrote above, when power was restored, the UPS did not turn on. It was an APC model 900 something and does not restart after power is restored, but I did not know that until it happened and I was away from town for weeks. Who ever tests a battery runout on their UPS, but you should. Pull the plug and let it go until it drops offline. Then plug it back in and see what happens.
                      I have mine set to orderly shutdown HS and the PC when the UPS battery gets to 50%. That works fine as it is if the UPS battery then runs all the way down. However, that rarely happens. To handle that problem, I have a small microcontroller circuit. If it is powered, then AC power is present (it's not plugged into the UPS). If it detects that the PC is off (it senses the 5V power line from the PC), and AC power has been on for at least five minutes, it pulses that PC power switch to turn the PC back on. That has worked great since I added it a few years ago.

Comment

Attached is a section of my log file when the Insteon interface went down this morning (event triggered), my log file is being flooded with "Insteon Port_DataReceived Error: Specified port is not open." errors, hundreds every second.

The 2nd log file is easier to read and covers only 5seconds of time which generated 200 log entries.... something is not right here.

edit: I might start a new thread about this, probably not related to the power failure problem.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached is a section of my log file when the Insteon interface went down this morning (event triggered), my log file is being flooded with "Insteon Port_DataReceived Error: Specified port is not open." errors, hundreds every second.

The 2nd log file is easier to read and covers only 5seconds of time which generated 200 log entries.... something is not right here.

edit: I might start a new thread about this, probably not related to the power failure problem.
                          Ok. looks like you are running h3 on linux and using a usb plm. thats fine. i need to add the error msg "Specified port is not open." to the exception handler; no one has every reported this with linux. On windows the error msg is different. I'll post an updated beta for you to install and try. No need to start a new thread.
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

please give the attached a try. you will need to install manually; i can't seem to post this to the beta updater right now. shutdown hs, and copy the exe and dll to your hs directory, and restart hs.

i tested this on hs linux .458 (i think) running on debian 9 on an virtualbox.

here is what i tested:
                            tried various invalid port names on the configuration page; no issues.
                            tried a good port name, started a 'test communications' on a switch and then cut the power to the plm; the plugin tries to restart until it gives up after 2 minute; plugin shutdowns; no issues
                            tried a good port name, started a 'test communications' on a switch and then cut the power to the plm; then turned the power back on when the plugin was in Recovery mode; it recovered; no issues.
                            Attached Files
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thank you Mark, as soon as I have a chance to apply the update I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Thank you Mark, as soon as I have a chance to apply the update I'll let you know how it goes.
                                Have you tried the latest beta (.16) in the Updater? don't bother with the .13 above
                                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                                X