Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovering Insteon plug-in after a power outage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mnsandler
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticka View Post
    All seems good, update went well and no issues with log entries. Pulled the plug on the Insteon model and no issues coming right back up.

I will check the logs, etc... after a power failure to see how it goes.
    thanks for updating, testing, and reporting back.

Note: If your power goes out for more than a few minutes, the plugin will eventually shut itself down. otherwise it will just fill with error message on failed attempts to restart. Eventually you will need a trigger to tell the plugin when power is back on so it can reinitialize the PLM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticka
    replied
    All seems good, update went well and no issues with log entries. Pulled the plug on the Insteon model and no issues coming right back up.

I will check the logs, etc... after a power failure to see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Atticka
    replied
    Updating now.

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    Thank you Mark, as soon as I have a chance to apply the update I'll let you know how it goes.
    Have you tried the latest beta (.16) in the Updater? don't bother with the .13 above

Leave a comment:

• Atticka
    replied
    Thank you Mark, as soon as I have a chance to apply the update I'll let you know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    please give the attached a try. you will need to install manually; i can't seem to post this to the beta updater right now. shutdown hs, and copy the exe and dll to your hs directory, and restart hs.

i tested this on hs linux .458 (i think) running on debian 9 on an virtualbox.

here is what i tested:
    tried various invalid port names on the configuration page; no issues.
    tried a good port name, started a 'test communications' on a switch and then cut the power to the plm; the plugin tries to restart until it gives up after 2 minute; plugin shutdowns; no issues
    tried a good port name, started a 'test communications' on a switch and then cut the power to the plm; then turned the power back on when the plugin was in Recovery mode; it recovered; no issues.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    Attached is a section of my log file when the Insteon interface went down this morning (event triggered), my log file is being flooded with "Insteon Port_DataReceived Error: Specified port is not open." errors, hundreds every second.

The 2nd log file is easier to read and covers only 5seconds of time which generated 200 log entries.... something is not right here.

edit: I might start a new thread about this, probably not related to the power failure problem.
    Ok. looks like you are running h3 on linux and using a usb plm. thats fine. i need to add the error msg "Specified port is not open." to the exception handler; no one has every reported this with linux. On windows the error msg is different. I'll post an updated beta for you to install and try. No need to start a new thread.

Leave a comment:

• Atticka
    replied
    Attached is a section of my log file when the Insteon interface went down this morning (event triggered), my log file is being flooded with "Insteon Port_DataReceived Error: Specified port is not open." errors, hundreds every second.

The 2nd log file is easier to read and covers only 5seconds of time which generated 200 log entries.... something is not right here.

edit: I might start a new thread about this, probably not related to the power failure problem.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• joegr
    replied
    Originally posted by allenc3 View Post
    Any of you running a UPS on your HS system need to consider what happens when the UPS battery dies after a long outage. In my case as I wrote above, when power was restored, the UPS did not turn on. It was an APC model 900 something and does not restart after power is restored, but I did not know that until it happened and I was away from town for weeks. Who ever tests a battery runout on their UPS, but you should. Pull the plug and let it go until it drops offline. Then plug it back in and see what happens.
    I have mine set to orderly shutdown HS and the PC when the UPS battery gets to 50%. That works fine as it is if the UPS battery then runs all the way down. However, that rarely happens. To handle that problem, I have a small microcontroller circuit. If it is powered, then AC power is present (it's not plugged into the UPS). If it detects that the PC is off (it senses the 5V power line from the PC), and AC power has been on for at least five minutes, it pulses that PC power switch to turn the PC back on. That has worked great since I added it a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• allenc3
    replied
    Any of you running a UPS on your HS system need to consider what happens when the UPS battery dies after a long outage. In my case as I wrote above, when power was restored, the UPS did not turn on. It was an APC model 900 something and does not restart after power is restored, but I did not know that until it happened and I was away from town for weeks. Who ever tests a battery runout on their UPS, but you should. Pull the plug and let it go until it drops offline. Then plug it back in and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• joegr
    replied
    Yes, I assumed that and have that, but I have removed my UPS as I don't think it is needed to do home automation so long as the HA system can properly recover from a power loss.
    I would be really worried about the HS database being corrupted by the unexpected shutdown when power fails.

Leave a comment:

• allenc3
    replied

Have to note however, this requires a UPS with a USB connection.
    Yes, I assumed that and have that, but I have removed my UPS as I don't think it is needed to do home automation so long as the HA system can properly recover from a power loss.

Leave a comment:

• Atticka
    replied
    Originally posted by joegr View Post

BLUPS
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...on/blups-blade
    I think it works with any UPS that works natively with Windows.
    Have to note however, this requires a UPS with a USB connection.

Leave a comment:

• Atticka
    replied
    For me Insteon seems to be the only component that has issues with power outages, I'm running, zWave, Insteon, RaspberryIO, Ecobee and SDJ-Vstat.

If there is a bug in the hardware or driver components I would report it and then code around it, or at least mitigate the issue until resolved

In the meantime I'm going to try creating a virtual device with it's on\off condition set by my Ecobee online\offline status (it should go offline when the power is off) with an event to shut down\start Insteon accordingly.

I also have this event
    IF Interface stops responding
    OR IF Interface crashes
    THEN Disable Interface
    WAIT 10 seconds
    THEN Enable Interface

Leave a comment:

• joegr
    replied
    How do you determine power has failed?
    BLUPS
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...on/blups-blade
    I think it works with any UPS that works natively with Windows.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X