This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub 2242 bad communication

Hi Mark, I could really use your help on one of my installations.

It is HS3 with Insteon plugin, latest version. In HS2 I used a PLM in this house. Since then, I disabled HS2 and started using Insteon hub 2242-222. Now, I am trying HS3 with your plugin. Yes, the insteon communication is not great in this house because some of the switches are from 2006 (too much work to replace all of them). Anyway, to my problem.

This 2242-222 hub works great with Insteon hub app. Another words, I get on/off working without retries, instant response. Same switch working through HS3 with Insteon plugin does not work reliably. When I do "test communication" function, I get good results on some switches, and bad on others. So, I am trying to understand why I have reliable control from Insteon hub app and unreliable from Insteon plugin? The hub is same for both apps, the connectivity is same, switches are same. What can i do to debug this.

Thank you
    Felix

please enable detailed logging, run your scenario, and post the log snippet of the transactions

i use a different protocol to communicate with the hub than the insteon app does
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      please enable detailed logging, run your scenario, and post the log snippet of the transactions

i use a different protocol to communicate with the hub than the insteon app does
      OK, thank you Mark,

I did 2 things, I tried to add a device which is seen by Insteon Hub app, address 19.21.e4

And I tried to read links table and program for homeseer a different dimmer which was succesfully added previously but is not compltely programmed in homeseer. Its address is 11.60.FB

Attached is the zipped log that has the above transactions.
      Thank you for looking at it.

Felix
      Attached Files

Comment

Felix

You should not see a large amount of buffer data in the hs log at any one time (like i see in the log)

have you tried registering a device using the manual method (enter the insteon id) as opposed to using tap-add?

are you trying to use the insteon app and homeseer/plugin with the hub at the same time? I generally don't support this but people do have it working.
        Can you factory reset the hub and retry?

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Felix

You should not see a large amount of buffer data in the hs log at any one time (like i see in the log)

have you tried registering a device using the manual method (enter the insteon id) as opposed to using tap-add?

are you trying to use the insteon app and homeseer/plugin with the hub at the same time? I generally don't support this but people do have it working.
          Can you factory reset the hub and retry?

Hi Mark, thanks for your response. Yes, I am using both app and HS3 Insteon plugin on same installation. That is not to say that I am literally trying to turn on a switch using both at same time. Also, I want to note that I have another installation where usage of both does not cause any problems. The main difference of this installation is - this is an old installation. I purchased and installed switches in 2006, when Insteon was just starting. So, I am suspecting the problem to be either bad communication or bad links (from removed linked switches) or both.

Yes, I mostly tried using the device ID and add that way as appose to tap-add.

I think you are suggesting to clear out any old links and start the setup again. That makes sense but it would take a while, the house has at least 30 devices. Also, there is a procedure through which I can delete links from switches them selves, right? Is it, pull out the gap tab and then push it back in while holding the on switch? I do want to avoid replacing 30 wired in devices, thats a lot of work and cost. Any further suggestion would be appreciated

Felix

Comment

Felix
            the plugin can rebuild the links it needs in the hub. (it wont rebuild insteon app links) you don't need to mess with links in the devices.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Felix
              the plugin can rebuild the links it needs in the hub. (it wont rebuild insteon app links) you don't need to mess with links in the devices.
              Mark, I will try that. Have to wait till I am in that area again, in a week or so. Meanwhile, I also have a couple of USB PLMs. Would you say that your plugin is more functional with less communication issues using a PLM as appose to Insteon hub? The plugin runs on Windows 7 HS3 so I have opportunity to plugin the PLM instead.

Comment

Originally posted by chubafelix View Post

Mark, I will try that. Have to wait till I am in that area again, in a week or so. Meanwhile, I also have a couple of USB PLMs. Would you say that your plugin is more functional with less communication issues using a PLM as appose to Insteon hub? The plugin runs on Windows 7 HS3 so I have opportunity to plugin the PLM instead.
                My first choice is the PLM, but everyone's mileage varies depending on their network. Once you get the hub working, i think you will be fine especially if you want to continue to use the insteon app.

I use the serial PLM, and use the homeseer app.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                X