X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever worsening Insteon Motion issues...Solved

SOLVED!

Hi Mark, I'm really hoping that you might have some helpful insight in to how to fix a growing problem I am having with my home automation.

Some background:

My automation relies heavily on motion detectors both for light logic and for my HVAC by way of the 2.0 motion detectors. There are 9 of them in my home, only 2 are the old motions.
    No motion detector is further than 3 feet from a 2 way Insteon light switch. Most have several near therm. Three of them are powered by USB power.

The issue I am having is that over the last year they've gotten less and less reliable. Mostly just slow to transmit. I walk in a room and wait between 5 and 10 seconds before my logic turns on a light. This used to be nearly instant. Also I'm starting to have the new motion detectors randomly show wild temperature swings from say 70 degrees to 125 degrees for a few seconds and then back to normal again. Another symptom that I think is also related is that when i leave a room, if I manually turn off a light, it will often turn back on in a couple seconds.

Do you have any idea why this might be happening? Any assistance you or anyone else might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated

Currently running HomeSeer version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548 and Insteon Plug-in version: 3.0.7.12
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
    Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

I'm also having an issue with all my MS II. I have 5 installed and they all stopped reporting motion status. The green light flashes on the sensor but the device status in HS3 does not update. I've restarted the plug-in and still no updates.

Comment

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
      Hi Mark, I'm really hoping that you might have some helpful insight in to how to fix a growing problem I am having with my home automation.

Some background:

My automation relies heavily on motion detectors both for light logic and for my HVAC by way of the 2.0 motion detectors. There are 9 of them in my home, only 2 are the old motions.
      No motion detector is further than 3 feet from a 2 way Insteon light switch. Most have several near therm. Three of them are powered by USB power.

The issue I am having is that over the last year they've gotten less and less reliable. Mostly just slow to transmit. I walk in a room and wait between 5 and 10 seconds before my logic turns on a light. This used to be nearly instant. Also I'm starting to have the new motion detectors randomly show wild temperature swings from say 70 degrees to 125 degrees for a few seconds and then back to normal again. Another symptom that I think is also related is that when i leave a room, if I manually turn off a light, it will often turn back on in a couple seconds.

Do you have any idea why this might be happening? Any assistance you or anyone else might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated

Currently running HomeSeer version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548 and Insteon Plug-in version: 3.0.7.12
      do you notice an difference between the ones powered by a battery vs usb?
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by krh1009 View Post
        I'm also having an issue with all my MS II. I have 5 installed and they all stopped reporting motion status. The green light flashes on the sensor but the device status in HS3 does not update. I've restarted the plug-in and still no updates.
        this is probably a different issue. You might try a reset and reprogram interface to rebuild the interface link database.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Some background:

Had a purchase of eBay Chinese LED lights that wreaked havoc with my Insteon system. Generated so much electrical noise that the system became unreliable whenever they were on. Took awhile to track it down to those bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post

do you notice an difference between the ones powered by a battery vs usb?
            Not really other than the thermister settings are typically different. But when they are plugged in they are also supposed to become repeaters per the docs.

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by M20J View Post

Had a purchase of eBay Chinese LED lights that wreaked havoc with my Insteon system. Generated so much electrical noise that the system became unreliable whenever they were on. Took awhile to track it down to those bulbs.
              All of my LED Bulbs are from Home Depot. And the issues I have are the same if all of them are off. But I've seen some of those bulbs cause wifi issues before in my IT work. So that makes sense.

Comment

Not really other than the thermister settings are typically different. But when they are plugged in they are also supposed to become repeaters per the docs.
                I asked because i have definitely seen a difference in performance when i use USB power. I had one in my kitchen under my cabinets near led lighting and it basically didn't work (wouldn't detect motion at all). I spent hours working with my smarthome/insteon tech. they even sent me a known working unit and usb power adapter and it failed in my environment. I now believes its related to the led lights. I had to switch the MS back to battery.

I'm not sure what else i can recommend other than a factory reset and reprogram device via the plugin. do not delete from plugin. have you searched on the smarthome forums for similar issues?
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I asked because i have definitely seen a difference in performance when i use USB power. I had one in my kitchen under my cabinets near led lighting and it basically didn't work (wouldn't detect motion at all). I spent hours working with my smarthome/insteon tech. they even sent me a known working unit and usb power adapter and it failed in my environment. I now believes its related to the led lights. I had to switch the MS back to battery.

I'm not sure what else i can recommend other than a factory reset and reprogram device via the plugin. do not delete from plugin. have you searched on the smarthome forums for similar issues?
                  Thanks Mark, I'll try removing the USB powered devices from my home temporarily to see if that brings any change. I'll also try the reset and reprogram option to see if that helps. If not, I guess I'll have to try another technology for my motions. Z-wave motions operate at 900MHz which is much less used these days where as Insteon is on 2.4GHz which is a busy frequency in my home.

Comment

Thanks Mark, I'll try removing the USB powered devices from my home temporarily to see if that brings any change. I'll also try the reset and reprogram option to see if that helps. If not, I guess I'll have to try another technology for my motions. Z-wave motions operate at 900MHz which is much less used these days where as Insteon is on 2.4GHz which is a busy frequency in my home.
                    Tony,
                    Insteon RF devices uses 915.0 MHz. If you have an analyzer, you can see the activity.

reference
                    https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-motion-sensor-ii.html

Please post back your findings after switching to a battery. You will need to put each MS into linking mode and read the settings and links in order for the plugin to reconfigure itself to battery mode.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Tony,
                      Insteon RF devices uses 915.0 MHz. If you have an analyzer, you can see the activity.

reference
                      https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-motion-sensor-ii.html

Please post back your findings after switching to a battery. You will need to put each MS into linking mode and read the settings and links in order for the plugin to reconfigure itself to battery mode.
                      Interesting. Not sure where I got the idea they were on 2.4GHz... OK
                      I'm not going to be at the house for a day or two but I will report back.

Thank you!

Comment

this is probably a different issue. You might try a reset and reprogram interface to rebuild the interface link database.
                        You are correct! Power cycling my PLM solved my problem

Comment

Interesting. Not sure where I got the idea they were on 2.4GHz... OK
                          I'm not going to be at the house for a day or two but I will report back.

Thank you!
                          Sorry for the huge delay in getting back to you on this. So I tried the items suggested but there was no real improvement.
                          It feels like something is interfering with the insteon wireless signal. The frustrating bit is that if I tell a motion to directly interact with an insteon switch, I get perfect comms, but if I take the same motion and have homeseer use it for light logic It will either miss an on command or miss an off command. Sometimes both... repeatedly. I've tried pulling the battery from all of my motions but one, changed the 3 USB powered motions to battery (reprogrammed after that change) and have had no luck at all. I'm currently running 3.0.7.16 of your plug-in. Just updated from 3.0.7.1. If you can think of anything else to try I'd appreciate it.

Comment

What is the distance between the motion sensor and the plm? If the motion sensor is close to the switch that it controls directly, but the PLM is a long distance away from them both, the motion's signal will be using the switch as a repeater. If the switch is a long way from the PLM, it may be using powerline signals to get to the PLM. If there are powerline signal killing devices on the power, the signal may not get through to the PLM. In a case like this (in all cases actually) it is important to have a robust powerline network.

Do you have a Filterlinc (or X10 filter) on all the equipment that is plugged into the same outlet as the PLM? Typically we plug the computer, printer, modem, router, etc into the same outlet as the PLM. Those are all Insteon Powerline signal killers. Plug everything except the PLM into a power bar and plug the power bar into the bottom of a FilterLinc. Plug the PLM directly into the wall, or into the front of the Filterlinc. That will allow Insteon signals to reach the PLM without being squashed by the computer electronics.

For lots more info on this issue, refer to these posts:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...38#post1201038

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ne#post1226477

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post
                              What is the distance between the motion sensor and the plm? If the motion sensor is close to the switch that it controls directly, but the PLM is a long distance away from them both, the motion's signal will be using the switch as a repeater. If the switch is a long way from the PLM, it may be using powerline signals to get to the PLM. If there are powerline signal killing devices on the power, the signal may not get through to the PLM. In a case like this (in all cases actually) it is important to have a robust powerline network.

Do you have a Filterlinc (or X10 filter) on all the equipment that is plugged into the same outlet as the PLM? Typically we plug the computer, printer, modem, router, etc into the same outlet as the PLM. Those are all Insteon Powerline signal killers. Plug everything except the PLM into a power bar and plug the power bar into the bottom of a FilterLinc. Plug the PLM directly into the wall, or into the front of the Filterlinc. That will allow Insteon signals to reach the PLM without being squashed by the computer electronics.

For lots more info on this issue, refer to these posts:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...38#post1201038

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ne#post1226477
                              My PLM is by it self in an outlet. Currently I have 9 active motions all are within 3 feet of several insteon switches but most are within 20-30 feet of the PLM. I don't currently have a filterlink.
                              You've given me a few things to look at based on your response, but oddly today (after installing 3.0.7.16) my motions are all working great. It's too early to call that the solution though as I do have good days from time to time. So I'm going to sit on this for a few days and see where I stand.

Thank you for your detailed response.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X