This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unregistered Devices Again

I added a brand new out of the box Dimmer Module today and got this list of Unregistered Devices. I had previously added a Group 1 to play around with it to see what it does but didn't use it. After I saw the Group 1 references below, I deleted teh Group 1. but still have the unregistered devices. This happened recently and you suggested a factory reset which i did which did not fix the problem. Everything works, just wondering what's going on. I cannot turn off bolding in this post for some reason. You also suggested that i can delete links without causing a problem which i have not done yet.

Configuration:

The following are unregistered Insteon addresses found in the network.
    17.DA.BE found in
    Bedroom Front Christmas Candles - INST
    17.DB.08 found in
    17.DB.1E found in
    2E.80.E7 found in
    51.C7.54 found in
    51.CA.F0 found in
    51.F2.2F found in
    17.DA.BE found in
    Den Floor Lamp - INST
    17.DB.1E found in
    Den Floor Lamp - INST
    2E.80.E7 found in
    Den Floor Lamp - INST
    51.C7.8D found in
    Den Floor Lamp - INST
    51.CA.47 found in
    Den Floor Lamp - INST

Device Link Table

For device Bedroom Front Christmas Candles
    Link #4 Outlet controls Unregistered Device (51.C7.54)
    Link #7 Outlet controls Unregistered Device (51.CA.F0)
    Link #11 Outlet has local control reporting to HomeSeer
    Link #10 Outlet is controlled by HomeSeer using RF PLM Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #12 Outlet is controlled by HomeSeer using RF PLM Group #254 (HomeSeer All Devices Group) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .1 Sec.
    Link #1 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (17.DA.BE) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #9 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (17.DB.08) - On Level: 0%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #2 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (17.DB.1E) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #3 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (2E.80.E7) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #5 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (51.C7.54) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #6 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (51.CA.F0) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #8 Outlet is controlled by Unregistered Device Group 1 (51.F2.2F) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    This is another Dimmer Module listing that appears normal:

Device Link Table

For Device Bedroom Front Table Lamp
    Link #1 Outlet has local control reporting to HomeSeer
    Link #2 Outlet is controlled by HomeSeer using RF PLM Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level: 0%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #3 Outlet is controlled by HomeSeer using RF PLM Group #254 (HomeSeer All Devices Group) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .1 Sec.

i'm really surprised the factory reset didn't clean up the link database...that's the whole point of that process

i would try deleting one link as a test to see if it clears it up.

note: ctrl-b should enable/disable bolding here
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      i'm really surprised the factory reset didn't clean up the link database...that's the whole point of that process
      Yes but in this case i installed a new Dimmer and had link database issues from the start!

Comment

please try to delete one unknown link, reread the links and settings and see if it goes away
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          please try to delete one unknown link, reread the links and settings and see if it goes away
          I deleted one unregistered link. Not exactly sure what command to execute based on your advice "reread the links and settings" but I went to Insteon plugin Configuration and clicked Update Interface Database. The deleted link did not come back. I deleted all unregistered links, about 12 of them from a DImmer module and a Mini-Remote, ran Update Interface Database again and none came back and everything seems to still work. So thanks.

Comment

thanks for reporting back. glad you got it cleaned up
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Allenc3: I have found that most new Insteon devices come with at least one link already installed. I assume they are left over from factory testing. Those devices are unknown to your system of course, so they show up as unregistered links. Usually they don't appear to bother anything, but they should be removed anyway because they can cause multiple unnecessary transmissions as the device tries to communicate with imaginary devices, which slows down the network response times.

I wish they would remove their test links at the factory. Fortunately, Mark's plugin makes it easy to identify the unregistered links and remove them, so its not really a big issue if you know what to do with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post
                Allenc3: I have found that most new Insteon devices come with at least one link already installed.
                Good info, thanks. But in my case I had maybe 8 unregistered links from a brand new Dimmer module! Anyway, I deleted them with no issues.

Comment

Eight is a lot. The most I remember seeing is 3 or 4 unregistered links.

Comment

As a final thought/recommendation, it is worth removing these unregistered device links. If the unused link is a controller link, the device will attempt to send messages to the unregistered device which puts an unnecessary load on the network.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I'm glad the plugin makes it easy to identify and remove unregistered devices. I've been making the conversion from X-10 to Insteon on the cheap, buying used on eBay and FB Marketplace. Every unit I've got had between one and seven linked devices.

Comment

I generally recommend a factory reset on every device before putting into production to help avoid these issues.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                        X