Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrington
    replied
    You're right, the relay probably has more applications than the dimmer. Note that you can use a dimmer as a relay as long as the load (amps, watts) is within its spec. Just be sure to only use it at 0-OFF, or 100-ON. Also set the ramp rate for as fast as possible (its an Insteon plugin feature). Doing that basically makes it an electronic relay. As an example, I use a lamp dimmer module to power my internet modem and router so HS can reset it when it loses the internet. I would normally have used an On/Off module, but I had a spare dimmer. It has been in service for a couple years and works great.

The downside of the Insteon bulbs was that you had to buy multiple bulbs if there were several fixtures on one circuit versus buying one switch. But they were easy to install, that's for sure...

Leave a comment:

• MikeMcM1956
    replied
    Originally posted by Burrington View Post
    The 2475D (Dimmer) is intended to go inside an existing fixture where there is no wall switch, like a lamp for example. I used one to control the lights inside an electric fireplace. I also put a 2475S (on/off relay) in the fireplace to control the heat. That way I can control the heat and visuals separately.

They have lots of uses such as inside space heaters, fluorescent fixtures, pool controls, etc where there is an existing housing or cabinet, but you want to automate it. Its really just the same as a wall switch, but without the paddle and mounting lugs.
    I'll have to put on my thinking cap and see if I can come up with any creative ideas. All of my in ceiling light fixtures are already tied to switches. I can actually see more uses for the relay rather than the Dimmer.

On another note, I wish they hadn't discontinued the Insteon bulbs. That seems like a perfect way to automate without replacing switches.

Leave a comment:

• Burrington
    replied
    The 2475D (Dimmer) is intended to go inside an existing fixture where there is no wall switch, like a lamp for example. I used one to control the lights inside an electric fireplace. I also put a 2475S (on/off relay) in the fireplace to control the heat. That way I can control the heat and visuals separately.

They have lots of uses such as inside space heaters, fluorescent fixtures, pool controls, etc where there is an existing housing or cabinet, but you want to automate it. Its really just the same as a wall switch, but without the paddle and mounting lugs.

Leave a comment:

• MikeMcM1956
    started a topic 2475D In-LineLinc Dimmer

2475D In-LineLinc Dimmer

I picked up a few of these as part of an bundle of switches and dimmers. In what sort of scenarios would these be deployed? It seems they need to be installed into their own J-box, so would they be replacing an existing physical switch? Or would you cut a new hole and run power? I'm somewhat stumped as to their usage.
Working...
X