Here's an easy one: Deleting Insteon Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an easy one: Deleting Insteon Device

I don't do this very often, so I want to make sure I get it right.

When deleting an Insteon device, first delete it from....
    1. HomeSeer?
    2. Plug-In?
    Last one with the right answer has to stay behind and clap the erasers.

Jim Speiser
    30-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

PS: Its a Motion Sensor I (rev 2.1) and I am replacing it with a Motion Sensor II, so I can't use "Replace" in the Plug-in, gotta start over.

Jim Speiser
    Still don't know squat

Comment

Here is my process to do that:

1) Rename the old device by adding "XXX" on the end of it (there's a good reason to do it exactly this way). HS changes the name in everything except scripts.

2) Use the Insteon plugin to add the new device using the original name without the XXX.

3) In events, use the "Referencing devices" feature to find all the events that use the XXX device.

4) Go through all those events and replace the XXX device with the new one. The new device shows up
      alphabetically
      right in front of the old one in the list so you don't have to hunt for it.

5) Run "Referencing devices" again on the XXX device to make sure you haven't missed any.

6) Look at all your scripts and change the reference number of the old device to the new one. Anything using the device name doesn't need to be changed because the new name is still the same as the original.

7) Delete the XXX device from the plugin. As I remember that also deletes the associated devices in HS.

Doing it this way means you don't have to reverse engineer or rebuild all the logic that used the old device. Nothing is missed and everything works exactly as it did before. Now you can add any fun new logic using the new features of the new device...

Comment

Excellent advice. I'll try it next time. (I couldn't wait so I went ahead and deleted and set up a new one). The main point is that I deleted it from the plug-in first, like you said in step 7. Phew.

Jim Speiser
        Still don't know squat

Comment

Unconfigured PHP Module

Collapse

Working...
        X