This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to do a group like with X10

Really liking my new Insteon conversion from X10 but there is one thing X10 does well that I don't see that Insteon can do. For 40 years I've had 8 or 11 X10 modules all set with the same House Code and Unit Number to turn on/off all the candles and other Christmas lights around the house with a single press of a controller button or timer. How do this with Insteon? All I see is that I need a macro that deals with all 8 or 11 individually addressed Insteon modules as a group. Is there an Insteon built-in grouping mechanism that works similarly as same addressing with X10?

Why not set up an event to control all your devices and trigger the event with the controller button or timer.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by allenc3 View Post
      Is there an Insteon built-in grouping mechanism that works similarly as same addressing with X10?
      What you are looking for is plugins> insteon> configuration> manage groups

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Why not set up an event to control all your devices and trigger the event with the controller button or timer.
        That is exactly what I do now and what I am trying to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by baudi View Post

What you are looking for is plugins> insteon> configuration> manage groups
          Yes! That is what I'm looking for, thanks. I need to create a couple Groups and see how they behave.

But I note that Groups work only with Insteon devices, is there a way to have a similar type group reference that contains Insteon, X10, and Z-Wave devices in HomeSeer? This is the main reason I have always used HS instead of software that only controls one brand of device, I want the flexibility of controlling any brand device but I need device independent references that are controllable as though they were a device. Right now I have several Events that trigger off Mini-Remote button presses and time triggers, but there is no Event reference that can be controlled like a device that I know of. Example, say I have a list of devices in HS consisting of 5 Insteon, 3 X10, and 3 Z-Wave devices and I want to call this Holiday Lights. Then I want to issue a command like "Holiday lights ON" or "Holiday Lights 50%". Is this possible? Can I create a variable name that would trigger an Event?

Comment

That is exactly what I do now and what I am trying to avoid.
            Why, this is core HS3 functionality.

Comment

Why, this is core HS3 functionality.
              Yes, but I think you missed the point of my question. I don't want to use Events every time I need to control more than one device, I want to set up a named reference for a group of devices and control them as a single device. This is what baudi suggested and is a solution for Insteon devices, the rest of the solution is what I asked regarding a controllable named list of devices of mixed brands and protocols.

Comment

Yes, but I think you missed the point of my question. I don't want to use Events every time I need to control more than one device, I want to set up a named reference for a group of devices and control them as a single device. This is what baudi suggested and is a solution for Insteon devices, the rest of the solution is what I asked regarding a controllable named list of devices of mixed brands and protocols.
                And there inlies the issue. You can't use one protocols proprietary grouping commands on another protocol. This is where events shine.

Comment

And there inlies the issue. You can't use one protocols proprietary grouping commands on another protocol. This is where events shine.
                  Just trying to determine if there is any functionality in HomeSeer to do what I want that I am not knowing about. Events are fine and I use them.

Comment

Can I create a variable name that would trigger an Event?
                    Yes. Just create a virtual device, then create an event that triggers when the virtual device changes.

Comment

Originally posted by baudi View Post

Yes. Just create a virtual device, then create an event that triggers when the virtual device changes.
                      Ah HA! Virtual Device sounds right. Where is that?

Comment

Ah HA! Virtual Device sound right. Where is that?
                        https://www.google.com/search?q=home...evice&gs_ivs=1

Comment

A virtual device will still have to trigger an event. You can use your current trigger to trigger the event. You stated " I have several Events that trigger off Mini-Remote button presses and time triggers" a virtual device doesn't help in this scenario at all.

Comment

Ah, the old Let Me Google That For You answer . Actually the search you provided was good, tells me everything I need. Thx.

Comment

Ah HA! Virtual Device sounds right. Where is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X