Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insteon Plug in stops working after power interruptions (HS3 Rpi3b+)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mnsandler
    replied
    Brian,
    before go any further with the events, do you have a hs log snippet of any errors you get during these power issues? I thought we were talking about a complete power failure not just power flashing

Leave a comment:

• ve3bwp
    replied
    Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
    Brian,

you will need to use the following two actions: Insteon Disable Interface or Insteon Enable Interface.

1. have you created the virtual device Joe mentioned above? the name & parameters don't matter. you just need this to hold a temporary value of your choosing. when the event runs the first time. and then to clear the value when power is restored

2. have you built an event to disable the plugin when your power monitor devices goes on, ie power loss? the trigger is up to you

3. do you have an event to enable the plugin when power is restored based on your device when it goes off? again the trigger is up to you

if so, please post a screen shot of the configuration, and i can comment from there

ok. so the generator isnt the issue in this case. i can't tell you why the plm is having troubles during the flickering.

Hi Mark, thanks for this. ok how about this?.. The trigger is a power restore from my DSC Security alarm...
    I also set a nightly Plug-in disable/reenable at 3:00am just to be sure.

What do you think?

Brian

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.51.05 PM.png
Views:	139
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	1354580

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    Brian,

you will need to use the following two actions: Insteon Disable Interface or Insteon Enable Interface.

1. have you created the virtual device Joe mentioned above? the name & parameters don't matter. you just need this to hold a temporary value of your choosing. when the event runs the first time. and then to clear the value when power is restored

2. have you built an event to disable the plugin when your power monitor devices goes on, ie power loss? the trigger is up to you

3. do you have an event to enable the plugin when power is restored based on your device when it goes off? again the trigger is up to you

if so, please post a screen shot of the configuration, and i can comment from there

ok. so the generator isnt the issue in this case. i can't tell you why the plm is having troubles during the flickering.

Leave a comment:

• ve3bwp
    replied
    Brian,

the retries (on the config page) is a separate setting that tracks message attempts sent to a device.

The "Failed Tx Threshold: 10" (that we have been discussing) tracks how many 'consecutive' times the plugin can't communicate with the PLM. the internal counter gets reset on every successful attempt to reach the PLM (regardless of the device response)

if you have a generator that kicks in after 20 secs on a power failure, then you shouldn't need to change any settings. if the generator power isn't keeping the plm happy/online, then maybe there is noise from the generator power. the generator power could be causing noise that is flooding the plm and rendering it non-responsive.

My 16kw generac kicks in after 15 secs, and I never have an issue with the plugin or plm dropping offline.

I have built into the plugin as many reliability monitors, triggers and actions as i can to help with power failure recovery, and other failures. I dont think there is anything else significant i can do.
    Mark, It would really be helpful If you could stay with me and answer the questions I ask in response to each of your recommendations. It could probably solve the problem. I'm trying my best to stay on track and follow your advise.

First post (#2) above: Your advise "There are event actions you can use to disable and enable the plugin in an event of power loss. You will need some other trigger however." I asked for an example. How do I disable/reenable your plug-in in HS3 (non Pro)? Sounds great. What do these event actions look like? No reply.

The example Joegr provides I do not have those AND IF options of "0 Interfaces Insteon Status". I'm on HS3 (non Pro) so can you please instruct my how to execute what you asked me to do? I will gladly create and event to do as you suggested. I just need the specifics. You wrote the plugin I think it's reasonable to look to you to provide the details.

Then In your post (#9) you told me .. "You may also adjust the counter threshold on the Advanced tab in the latest beta plugin.". No answer when I asked if I could increase it. Also no answer when I asked what I can adjust it to? What is the range? Where do I get the Beta Plugin you refer to? Again, no reply.

Please if you could just follow me long enough to answer these questions it could probably solve the problem. I'm trying my best to stay on track and follow your advise.

You think the fault is my generator. My Generator has not kicked in over a month. It's a full inverter true sine wave unit that my very fussy UPSes report 100% power quality on. I paid extra for that. We are now in the midst of an ice storm weather event. The power flickered several times/day but not long enough to start the generator.. and the plugin stayed working for the first few flickers over about 24 hour period until one more flicker.. then it was stuck on "Plugin Start is Pending". I rebooted and it came back. This happens every few weeks unless I remember to reboot the system every week or so.

So can you help me get through your first two suggestions...this as I am doing everything possible to follow your advise! Please advise. Thanks much.

Leave a comment:

• ve3bwp
    replied
    Originally posted by joegr View Post

No, just create a virtual device named "Insteon Status" with at least the statuses of "Enabled" and "Disabled." I have a few other status pairs for other events, but you really only need those two for the two events listed to work. It's just there to keep the second event from triggering over and over.

Sorry what are the parameters your "Insteon Status" virtual device pairs test? Or how do they disable/reenable the Insteon plug in? In the example Joegr provides I do not have those AND IF options. Am I missing something here? Can you send me a screen capture of it?

Leave a comment:

• joegr
    replied
    Originally posted by ve3bwp View Post

I am not getting the AND IF "0 Interfaces Insteon Status has a Value Equal to OK". How do I get that option to show?

Do I need another plug in for that?

No, just create a virtual device named "Insteon Status" with at least the statuses of "Enabled" and "Disabled." I have a few other status pairs for other events, but you really only need those two for the two events listed to work. It's just there to keep the second event from triggering over and over.

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    Brian,

the retries (on the config page) is a separate setting that tracks message attempts sent to a device.

The "Failed Tx Threshold: 10" (that we have been discussing) tracks how many 'consecutive' times the plugin can't communicate with the PLM. the internal counter gets reset on every successful attempt to reach the PLM (regardless of the device response)

if you have a generator that kicks in after 20 secs on a power failure, then you shouldn't need to change any settings. if the generator power isn't keeping the plm happy/online, then maybe there is noise from the generator power. the generator power could be causing noise that is flooding the plm and rendering it non-responsive.

My 16kw generac kicks in after 15 secs, and I never have an issue with the plugin or plm dropping offline.

I have built into the plugin as many reliability monitors, triggers and actions as i can to help with power failure recovery, and other failures. I dont think there is anything else significant i can do.

Leave a comment:

• ve3bwp
    replied

the trouble counter will reset after a restart, the counter also resets every time the plugin transmit successfully. You may also adjust the counter threshold on the Advanced tab in the latest beta plugin.
    Mark there is no beta being offered up in my Manage Plugins listing. How do I get my hands on the correct one?

Leave a comment:

• ve3bwp
    replied

the trouble counter will reset after a restart, the counter also resets every time the plugin transmit successfully. You may also adjust the counter threshold on the Advanced tab in the latest beta plugin.
    I have to set the retries to max (5 I believe) for reliability reasons. My power line must have noise on it. Mark does every retry get tallied in the 10 counts?

I have an automatic genset so the longest the PLM is without power is 20 secs.

If I increase the threshold from 10 to something like 1000 in the beta would that solve the problem?

Dont take this wrong way but Insteon power fail recovery seems to be the main cause of coming home to a dark house (and cold water) which is every automators worst nightmare. Is there not extra logic that should be built in to the plug-in? For example could you not have an setting to point the plugin to the power fail detection device?

i seem to have been blocked from accessing the Msandler insteon plugin feature requests thread. Says to contact admin but admin does not accept messages. I used to be able to view it. Can you fix that?

Anyway, in the meantime would setting the threshold in the beta from 10 to 1000 be fine or will it fill up a log file too fast?

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    Great! Thanks folks! I will give it a go. Not sure how I missed that this was a requirement to keep the plug in from shutting down. It's documented somewhere?

Does a reboot also restart the 10 trouble shutdown counter?

Leave a comment:

• ve3bwp
    replied
    Originally posted by joegr View Post

These two events have worked correctly for me for years now.

Name:	powerout.png
Views:	300
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1354267

Name:	powerin.png
Views:	302
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	1354268
    I am not getting the AND IF "0 Interfaces Insteon Status has a Value Equal to OK". How do I get that option to show?

Do I need another plug in for that?

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.49.21 PM.png
Views:	308
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	1354365

Leave a comment:

• ve3bwp
    replied
    Great! Thanks folks! I will give it a go. Not sure how I missed that this was a requirement to keep the plug in from shutting down. It's documented somewhere?

Does a reboot also restart the 10 trouble shutdown counter?

Leave a comment:

• Burrington
    replied
    That's pretty much identical to mine which has worked well for years too.

Leave a comment:

• joegr
    replied

Hi Mark, thanks for this info. I do have a power fail detector. It’s a wall wart powered relay whose contacts are connected to an i/o module. So how do i use this in an event to reset the plug in? Tested example please?

please advise.

thanks and regards,
    Brian
    These two events have worked correctly for me for years now.

Name:	powerout.png
Views:	300
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1354267

Name:	powerin.png
Views:	302
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	1354268

Leave a comment:

• Burrington
    replied
    This topic is discussed at length in this thread and should answer all your questions:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...a-power-outage

Leave a comment:

Working...
X