Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KeyPadLinc vs. Responder: Which one is in charge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    KeyPadLinc vs. Responder: Which one is in charge?

    I know this is Insteon 101, but it has been a source of confusion for me from Day One. It just never seems to make sense.

    I have a Relay unit (on-off) controlling the power to the garage door (an extra layer of security, mainly for WAF points). I also have a 6-button KeyPadLinc in the garage, and the D button controls the Relay unit. I believe I have them correctly cross-linked, so that if I turn off one, the other is supposed to turn off as well. But that doesn't happen. I don't have direct control of the Relay unit from the CAPI. It is seemingly subservient to the KPL. Only if I turn it off at the KPL, either physically or through the web page, does the Relay unit respond in kind.

    This is representative of several situations involving a KeyPadLinc throughout the house. Is my understanding of this relationship in error?



    Jim Speiser
    35-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

    #2
    i need to know the devicetype (from the insteon.ini) of the relay device in question

    some insteon relay devices are responders only
    Mark

    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
    Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      i need to know the devicetype (from the insteon.ini) of the relay device in question

      some insteon relay devices are responders only

      [Device 48]
      DatabaseDelta=2
      DeviceID=40.2E.AA
      DeviceLocation=Garage
      DeviceName=Garage Door Power
      DeviceType=0237
      EEValues=LEDBrightness=0,OpFlags1=0
      FailedInteractions=32
      FirmwareVer=48
      HopData=2693,2684,9,0
      LastContact=1/15/2020 12:00:22 PM
      Link 1=A2 FE 3D 98 D6 FF 1F 01 1
      Link 2=A2 04 1A 1B 14 FF 1F 01 2
      Link 3=A2 27 3D 98 D6 00 1F 01 3
      Link 4=A2 25 3D 98 D6 FF 1F 01 4
      Link 5=A2 11 3D 98 D6 00 1F 01 5
      Link 6=A2 03 1C 2C 29 00 1F 01 6
      Link 7=AA 00 3D 98 D6 FF 1C 00 7
      Link 8=E2 01 3D 98 D6 00 00 01 8
      LinksDownloaded=1
      NumLinks=8
      PollingInterval=0
      Protocol=3
      RecentDatabaseDelta=2
      SyncLinkedDevices=1
      TotalInteractions=2739



      Jim Speiser
      35-year veteran of Home Automation
      Still don't know squat

      Comment


        #4
        Jim,
        that device can be a controller and responder. but i dont see any controller links to any other devices; they typically start with E2. link 8 above is to the plm to report status.

        you can create a controller link from the relay to the kpl using the plugin from the relay edit link page.
        Mark

        HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
        Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          Jim,
          that device can be a controller and responder. but i dont see any controller links to any other devices; they typically start with E2. link 8 above is to the plm to report status.

          you can create a controller link from the relay to the kpl using the plugin from the relay edit link page.
          But both devices have "Sync linked responder devices" checked...? I thought that's what that checkbox was for?


          Jim Speiser
          35-year veteran of Home Automation
          Still don't know squat

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by JimSpy View Post

            But both devices have "Sync linked responder devices" checked...? I thought that's what that checkbox was for?
            its part of the equation, but the devices must still be 'linked'. so the relay must be linked to the kpl as a controller, not just a responder

            Mark

            HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
            Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

            Comment


              #7
              I think that the "sync" checkbox just causes the plugin to update the HomeSeer status of the linked responder when the controller changes status. This keeps HS in sync with the actual status of the responder device. The links that you program into the actual Insteon devices (via the plugin or otherwise) actually cause the controlling device to control the responder device.

              Mark, please correct me if this is wrong.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by joegr View Post
                I think that the "sync" checkbox just causes the plugin to update the HomeSeer status of the linked responder when the controller changes status. This keeps HS in sync with the actual status of the responder device. The links that you program into the actual Insteon devices (via the plugin or otherwise) actually cause the controlling device to control the responder device.

                Mark, please correct me if this is wrong.
                that is a good start. the option also sends an on/off cmd (based on the link definition) to the responder device if you change the Controller for the hs UI.

                the insteon protocol doesn't automatically control a linked responder if you only send an on/off command to the Controller. seems like a large oversight, but that's water under the bridge

                and Yes, the basic idea of the feature is to keep HS in-sync with the physical switches regardless of where a set of switches is controlled.
                Mark

                HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
                Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
                Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mnsandler View Post

                  that is a good start. the option also sends an on/off cmd (based on the link definition) to the responder device if you change the Controller for the hs UI.

                  the insteon protocol doesn't automatically control a linked responder if you only send an on/off command to the Controller. seems like a large oversight, but that's water under the bridge

                  and Yes, the basic idea of the feature is to keep HS in-sync with the physical switches regardless of where a set of switches is controlled.
                  Ah. Here is the nub of it. For lo these many years, I thought the Sync Linked Responders checkbox referred to cross-linking the two devices, so that a change to, say, a lamp module would be automatically reflected in a KeyPad button. What you''re telling me is that it's keeping HS3 up to date on not just the controller but the responder. So I still need to manually cross-link the responder as a controller of the original KeyPad, correct?


                  Jim Speiser
                  35-year veteran of Home Automation
                  Still don't know squat

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
                    ... So I still need to manually cross-link the responder as a controller of the original KeyPad, correct?
                    Yes, then it will still work (keypad controls lamp/whatever) when the HS PC is off or while you are waiting for the replacement PLM to arrive.

                    Edit: It's just link if it's one way. Cross link is for when both devices can be both controller and responder.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by joegr View Post

                      Yes, then it will still work (keypad controls lamp/whatever) when the HS PC is off or while you are waiting for the replacement PLM to arrive.

                      Edit: It's just link if it's one way. Cross link is for when both devices can be both controller and responder.
                      OK, wait a sec. I just went to edit those devices, and discovered that there IS a "cross-link devices" check box towards the bottom! Tsk, tsk, you guys never mentioned that! I believe that THAT button does what I want, right? (why did I never notice that before? )


                      Jim Speiser
                      35-year veteran of Home Automation
                      Still don't know squat

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by JimSpy View Post

                        OK, wait a sec. I just went to edit those devices, and discovered that there IS a "cross-link devices" check box towards the bottom! Tsk, tsk, you guys never mentioned that! I believe that THAT button does what I want, right? (why did I never notice that before? )
                        the cross link checkbox will create the links so that each device is a controller and responder to the other; like a 3-way circuit.

                        Mark

                        HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
                        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
                        Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X