Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KeyPadLinc vs. Responder: Which one is in charge?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeyPadLinc vs. Responder: Which one is in charge?

I know this is Insteon 101, but it has been a source of confusion for me from Day One. It just never seems to make sense.

I have a Relay unit (on-off) controlling the power to the garage door (an extra layer of security, mainly for WAF points). I also have a 6-button KeyPadLinc in the garage, and the D button controls the Relay unit. I believe I have them correctly cross-linked, so that if I turn off one, the other is supposed to turn off as well. But that doesn't happen. I don't have direct control of the Relay unit from the CAPI. It is seemingly subservient to the KPL. Only if I turn it off at the KPL, either physically or through the web page, does the Relay unit respond in kind.

This is representative of several situations involving a KeyPadLinc throughout the house. Is my understanding of this relationship in error?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

i need to know the devicetype (from the insteon.ini) of the relay device in question

some insteon relay devices are responders only
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      i need to know the devicetype (from the insteon.ini) of the relay device in question

some insteon relay devices are responders only

[Device 48]
      DatabaseDelta=2
      DeviceID=40.2E.AA
      DeviceLocation=Garage
      DeviceName=Garage Door Power
      DeviceType=0237
      EEValues=LEDBrightness=0,OpFlags1=0
      FailedInteractions=32
      FirmwareVer=48
      HopData=2693,2684,9,0
      LastContact=1/15/2020 12:00:22 PM
      Link 1=A2 FE 3D 98 D6 FF 1F 01 1
      Link 2=A2 04 1A 1B 14 FF 1F 01 2
      Link 3=A2 27 3D 98 D6 00 1F 01 3
      Link 4=A2 25 3D 98 D6 FF 1F 01 4
      Link 5=A2 11 3D 98 D6 00 1F 01 5
      Link 6=A2 03 1C 2C 29 00 1F 01 6
      Link 7=AA 00 3D 98 D6 FF 1C 00 7
      Link 8=E2 01 3D 98 D6 00 00 01 8
      LinksDownloaded=1
      NumLinks=8
      PollingInterval=0
      Protocol=3
      RecentDatabaseDelta=2
      SyncLinkedDevices=1
      TotalInteractions=2739

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

Jim,
        that device can be a controller and responder. but i dont see any controller links to any other devices; they typically start with E2. link 8 above is to the plm to report status.

you can create a controller link from the relay to the kpl using the plugin from the relay edit link page.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Jim,
          that device can be a controller and responder. but i dont see any controller links to any other devices; they typically start with E2. link 8 above is to the plm to report status.

you can create a controller link from the relay to the kpl using the plugin from the relay edit link page.
          But both devices have "Sync linked responder devices" checked...? I thought that's what that checkbox was for?

Jim Speiser
          Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post

But both devices have "Sync linked responder devices" checked...? I thought that's what that checkbox was for?
            its part of the equation, but the devices must still be 'linked'. so the relay must be linked to the kpl as a controller, not just a responder

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I think that the "sync" checkbox just causes the plugin to update the HomeSeer status of the linked responder when the controller changes status. This keeps HS in sync with the actual status of the responder device. The links that you program into the actual Insteon devices (via the plugin or otherwise) actually cause the controlling device to control the responder device.

Mark, please correct me if this is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
                I think that the "sync" checkbox just causes the plugin to update the HomeSeer status of the linked responder when the controller changes status. This keeps HS in sync with the actual status of the responder device. The links that you program into the actual Insteon devices (via the plugin or otherwise) actually cause the controlling device to control the responder device.

Mark, please correct me if this is wrong.
                that is a good start. the option also sends an on/off cmd (based on the link definition) to the responder device if you change the Controller for the hs UI.

the insteon protocol doesn't automatically control a linked responder if you only send an on/off command to the Controller. seems like a large oversight, but that's water under the bridge

and Yes, the basic idea of the feature is to keep HS in-sync with the physical switches regardless of where a set of switches is controlled.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

that is a good start. the option also sends an on/off cmd (based on the link definition) to the responder device if you change the Controller for the hs UI.

the insteon protocol doesn't automatically control a linked responder if you only send an on/off command to the Controller. seems like a large oversight, but that's water under the bridge

and Yes, the basic idea of the feature is to keep HS in-sync with the physical switches regardless of where a set of switches is controlled.
                  Ah. Here is the nub of it. For lo these many years, I thought the Sync Linked Responders checkbox referred to cross-linking the two devices, so that a change to, say, a lamp module would be automatically reflected in a KeyPad button. What you''re telling me is that it's keeping HS3 up to date on not just the controller but the responder. So I still need to manually cross-link the responder as a controller of the original KeyPad, correct?

Jim Speiser
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

... So I still need to manually cross-link the responder as a controller of the original KeyPad, correct?
                    Yes, then it will still work (keypad controls lamp/whatever) when the HS PC is off or while you are waiting for the replacement PLM to arrive.

Edit: It's just link if it's one way. Cross link is for when both devices can be both controller and responder.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

Yes, then it will still work (keypad controls lamp/whatever) when the HS PC is off or while you are waiting for the replacement PLM to arrive.

Edit: It's just link if it's one way. Cross link is for when both devices can be both controller and responder.
                      OK, wait a sec. I just went to edit those devices, and discovered that there IS a "cross-link devices" check box towards the bottom! Tsk, tsk, you guys never mentioned that! I believe that THAT button does what I want, right? (why did I never notice that before? )

Jim Speiser
                      Still don't know squat

Comment

OK, wait a sec. I just went to edit those devices, and discovered that there IS a "cross-link devices" check box towards the bottom! Tsk, tsk, you guys never mentioned that! I believe that THAT button does what I want, right? (why did I never notice that before? )
                        the cross link checkbox will create the links so that each device is a controller and responder to the other; like a 3-way circuit.

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I have several 3-way and 4-way switches this was very helpful to find information on Insteon Cross Link Switches.

If i select the second switch as Cross Link do I need to delete the device #4 from the Linked table? I want the 3-way & 4-Way switches to sync or track the status.

Devoir
                          Attached Files

Comment

if you already have #1 and #2 cross linked, you can continue cross linking the other switches. the plugin doesn't save the fact that you checked the cross link checkbox. its not needed to maintain status; the plugin uses the actual link data.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                            X