Need outdoor light Dusk Dawn light level sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need outdoor light Dusk Dawn light level sensor

I know this isn't exactly an Insteon topic but you guys know a lot about home automation. I've looked around and cannot find what I want. I use HS3 Sunset and Sunrise times to turn on and off lights around the house but there are many days when cloud cover makes the house interior pretty dark for about an hour before the lights turn on from Sunset time. I would like to "OR" in logic from an outdoor or through-a-window photo sensor that can read out light intensity values. Does something like this exist in Insteon or Z-Wave? I can't find anything.

The new insteon motion sensors have a light sensor built in and report out a level. you can even set the dawn and dusk levels yourself which will trigger the dawn/dusk sensor to on/off.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
    Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      The new insteon motion sensors have a light sensor built in and report out a level. you can even set the dawn and dusk levels yourself which will trigger the dawn/dusk sensor to on/off.
      Excellent. Just to make sure I look at the correct item can you cite a model number or device name, or is there only one motion sensor?

Edit: It’s the Motion Sensor II me thinks.

Comment

yep, its the https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-motion-sensor-ii.html
        Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          Does your plugin support getting to its values and setting parameters? The manual says we need to use an Insteon Hub to set up the sensor.

Comment

here is what you will get the following settings, and the following hs devices
            Attached Files
            Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

The new Motion Sensor II only sends its temperature and light level data when it detects motion, making it not so useful as a temperature or light level sensor. I'm sure that's to save the battery, which wouldn't last long if it was continuously transmitting temperature and light data. However, I read somewhere that it if you power it with the USB plug (under the battery), it will send continuous data. I have not tested that, can anyone confirm this is true?

Comment

the motion sensor will send the light level with every heartbeat; you can change that frequency to match your needs. using the usb cable is a good option.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

The default night and day thresholds are adjustable in the plug-in. The Defaults are 64 and 80. What do the values represent? I am assuming that 80 and above are bright and below 64 is dark for Night. As for the Transition Interval (m:s), with the sensor send the Dusk/Dawn status once the threshold is reached and interval lapsed or will it wait for a heartbeat to be sent?

Comment

Working...
                  X