X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderstorms vs. insteon

Mark,

I see from your profile that you live in Virginia. Do you happen to live in Northern Virginia? If so, I was wondering how your system fared after last night's thunderstorms.

Even though I have a UPS for my computers, and a backup generator in case of power failure, my insteon devices always suffer when the power goes on and off quickly during thunderstorms. I often have to unplug my PLM, then plug it back in before I can do anything with insteon after a thunderstorm. Also, my usb-powered motion sensor had to be reset and reprogrammed.

Do you have similar problems? How do you deal with them?

I have a similar setup (ups and generator)

I didn't even put 2 and 2 together this morning, but i did have the following error in my log and the plugin crashed on the hs server. I need to look into this. I restarted the plugin and everything was back to normal.

***:Error in ProcessGroupBroadcast 1: DevIndex=0, GroupIndex=0: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. -- Details System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.LogicalCallContext.Propaga teIncomingHeadersToCallContext(IMessage msg) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(Mess ageData& msgData, Int32 type) at HomeSeerAPI.IHSApplication.GetDeviceByRef(Int32 ref) at HSPI_Insteon.hspiAPI.HSAPI.LogReceivedMsg(TransmitMsgType Msg) at Insteon.Support.Core.InsteonModule.ProcessGroupBroadcast(Tra nsmitMsgType Msg, Boolean RemoteMsg)
    do you have a error that you can share
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Yes. Here are the insteon log messages. I unplugged the PLM from AC and plugged it back in sometime between 9:54 and 9:57.

May-03 9:57:52 PM Insteon RF PLM contacted on COM3 with an Insteon address of 48.F0.88 and firmware version 9E
      May-03 9:57:50 PM Insteon Insteon Support library (Insteon.dll) version: 1.0.7.2
      May-03 9:54:10 PM Insteon Interface not functional
      May-03 9:52:47 PM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM3
      May-03 9:52:47 PM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM3
      May-03 9:52:42 PM Insteon Please first Enable the Insteon plugin on the Homeseer Plugin Manage page.
      May-03 9:52:38 PM Insteon Insteon Support library (Insteon.dll) version: 1.0.7.2
      May-03 9:48:57 PM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM3
      May-03 9:48:57 PM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM3
      May-03 9:48:53 PM Insteon Please first Enable the Insteon plugin on the Homeseer Plugin Manage page.
      May-03 9:48:49 PM Insteon Insteon Support library (Insteon.dll) version: 1.0.7.2
      May-03 9:44:20 PM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM3
      May-03 9:44:20 PM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM3
      May-03 9:44:16 PM Insteon Please first Enable the Insteon plugin on the Homeseer Plugin Manage page.
      May-03 9:44:12 PM Insteon Insteon Support library (Insteon.dll) version: 1.0.7.2
      May-03 9:38:16 PM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM3
      May-03 9:38:16 PM Insteon Could not contact Interface on COM3
      May-03 9:38:12 PM Insteon Please first Enable the Insteon plugin on the Homeseer Plugin Manage page.
      May-03 9:38:08 PM Insteon Insteon Support library (Insteon.dll) version: 1.0.7.2
      May-03 9:21:39 PM Insteon Device Kitchen MS (4F.94.23) sent a heartbeat: Battery=Good, Temp=72.2, Light=0

Comment

did the plugin generate a config\insteon error report.log file around the same time? Your plm seems like it froze up and just wouldn't respond.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          did the plugin generate a config\insteon error report.log file around the same time? Your plm seems like it froze up and just wouldn't respond.
          Unfortunately no.

Comment

interesting. i think my plm kept working until it sent a bogus message to the plugin which caused the above error.

do you have a newer hw version 2.x, or an older 1.x plm? there is a sticker on the unit that identifies the hw version.

Also, I'm using serial; i think these are less susceptible to power fluctuations.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

It's Revision 2.3 2317

I don't have a serial port on any of my computers.

I assume it wouldn't work to plug it in to my UPS because that would block the Insteon messages.

Comment

well that is a current hw version. i added a serial 4-port pci adapter to my hs server for several of my home auto interfaces
                the ups will likely block the signal since it is supposed to provide a clean sine wave, but you can try it.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

It turns out that unplugging and replugging the PLM was not enough to fix all the problems. I was getting lots of weird behavior. So I reset and reprogrammed the PLM and that fixed it.

I wish insteon would make a more robust PLM.

Comment

Working...
                  X