This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty shutdown resulted in new ini file

Mark, I had a dirty shutdown last night. The log shows when HS restarted that the plugin did not have a COM port set. I set it, and the log shows it started communicating with the PLM. All devices showed up in HS, but no control was happening. I finally went into the plugin's devices page, and nothing was there! I checked the ini file and it was 1 KB. Well, that would explain why there was no COM port set. I disabled the plugin and restored from a backup ini. (I was scared because the "Insteon - Backup.ini" was from over three years ago. Good thing I have a daily backup of the HS directory via BLBackup, so I restored from yesterday's backup. Only after restoring from that did I see that backups are now called insteonN.ini. Obviously, I haven't had to revert to a backup ini in years.) I restarted the plugin, all devices showed up in the plugin's device's page. I let out a huge sigh of relief.

Anyway, I have had dirty shutdowns before and this has never happened. Is it just something that always has a risk of occurring when that happens? Without knowing what happened to the ini during system reboot and/or HS startup (was it deleted, was it saved with no data in it), should the plugin have automatically restored from the most recent backup, or is it always meant to be a manual operation?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, what plugin version are you running?

I have had a lot of trouble with HS truncating my ini file when HS crashes. The most recent release and betas have my own ini management code. I haven't considered automatically restoring an ini file if the current one is empty (an interesting idea). I would want to ask the user during startup which i don't think i can do. it would halt unattended restarts.

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

3.0.7.23 and have been for some time, but I don't recall exactly when I updated it and from what version, but I think it was .20.

Comment

can you confirm if you have an insteon device on the dev mgmt page that also has a copy of your insteon.ini on the insteon tab?
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark, I apologize for the late reply. I didn't get a notification that you had replied. (I checked my forum settings and reply notification is enabled. I haven't been getting any reply notifications to recent HS forum threads I started, so I just have to check manually. I have a daily digest notification enabled for this forum/channel.)

Anyway, yes, I do have a device named "Insteon Plugin" with the ini file contents on the Inseon tab. I don't recall that I have noticed this device before, let alone that the ini file contents are on the Insteon tab.

Scott

Comment

I added this device and content, so in the event that a user has to restore a homeseer db, we can recreate the matching insteon.ini from the db directly
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I'm using 3.0.7.19 and do not see this Insteon Device. Should I update to 3.0.7.25?

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                I added this device and content, so in the event that a user has to restore a homeseer db, we can recreate the matching insteon.ini from the db directly
                I'm using 3.0.7.19 and do not see this Insteon Device. Should I update to 3.0.7.25?

Comment

Originally posted by allenc3 View Post

look for the a device called "Insteon Plugin"
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

look for the a device called "Insteon Plugin"
                    HS3 on Zee S2: Top Menu PLUG-INS/Insteon/Configuration/Manage Devices, in Table "Currently Registered Insteon Devices", Column: "Device", there is no such device as "Insteon Plugin". There are only the 24 internal physical Insteon devices I added.

Comment

this is a HS device on the device management page somewhere, not a device within the plugin
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

this is a HS device on the device management page somewhere, not a device within the plugin
                        Ah yes, found it and found the Insteon tab and all the ini text. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by allenc3 View Post

Ah yes, found it and found the Insteon tab and all the ini text. Thx.
                          Hopefully, you will never need it but its there just in case. I was having too many users not being able to restore an insteon.ini with their homeseer.hsd file
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                          X