Insteon Test Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Test Bench

Hey guys, long time user of Insteon and I wanted to share a recent project that I put together. I always wanted to do this and the quarantine made me do it

I always wanted a quick way to hook up a switch and do testing or resetting. Specifically, fanlinc are a PIA to setup once they are installed. I have a lot of devices 90+ and a recent move has forced me to do some resetting and a bunch of testing. I decided to create a test bench to help out. See photos below.

I put a couple different switches for safety and a 3 amp breaker for safety as well. The quick wire connects are just metal speaker terminals. The box is a junction box from HD. Overall is was pretty cheap to put together and should save me a ton of time. Let me know what you think. I'm planning on adding a amp/volt display to see how much power a switch is pulling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ACtC-3dBT-d_g3vKSFkCErqfbdPTh20D2XLQ3jkDZOXjy22zovcGNRXzDlB6NoDHWGyVPCMDOuGB_iNX2auvqJxRC_I-0Z_lv795mEtvo3j5ac51PaGlyHjQp1_xTE3YhetKFSvl9yySWsEEzjtTXHJEr8yu9w=w811-h608-no?authuser=0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.4 KB ID:	1389996

Click image for larger version  Name:	ACtC-3fA6KxlDMcETEovhQEcf_rYkdqmbesQ9HhOT11JpPFLSVaT57tbQ_1jKiGtMU-NcRRefy9u9-1bEFhpSOrTAhF1k0mXYotJsRdbbKrgJabAfqkMpW8nsCGObfCDxbSIS8gbu7KiLjt24QDp9pIisRLLVg=w811-h608-no?authuser=0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.5 KB ID:	1389997
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ACtC-3cXwko8jsuxeL-8kYmjV--5_DzUneoax6YvLmSpwi7Dk7RtrsnFSLEQ2yIg8FN5FywnqM-JHP5Y_ISGrSe8WfvJYk7UdFc_R5omJO88ZGwJy99UImD6ZKEy01qZX0GSdFjEiPVuaaVE3RSlITkel-uTKw=w456-h608-no?authuser=0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.8 KB ID:	1389998
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ACtC-3dVmsVOmvHD308f4GqerDxEC6AyRd7oH4SQLALF2BuGTUPhLRbu2NWosiGRDiummc75A9VhKI0XhAl1BR-v7lk_x82_PY2QSzMDsXo_dPMjfnC6kmajQI2W6RAn0PZ4P0nJ9f-RcdphUce-KbszxtxoMw=w811-h608-no?authuser=0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	1389999

Saved for future use.

Comment

What a great idea!!

Comment

Loved it.

You should sell those.

I'm up for one.

Comment

can you post a full pic of the power cable? curious what both ends look like
          Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
          Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
            can you post a full pic of the power cable? curious what both ends look like
            It is probably a standard computer/monitor NEMA 5-15P to C13 power plug.

I was wondering why you needed the spring terminals. Then I remembered that the Insteon switches have built in pig tails.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

It is probably a standard computer/monitor NEMA 5-15P to C13 power plug.
              makes sense. just wasn't obvious from the pic

here's my poor-man's version. i just plug them into a power strip. I typically don't bother with the load line.

Attached Files
              Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
              Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
              Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
              Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Correct, its just a standard computer cable. You could probably get rid of that and just go straight into the box with a cord. I wanted to the extra protection with the switch and fuse. My son likes to grab at stuff on my tinker table and I have the dual switches for safety. Both swtiches light up so you immediately know if you are dealing with a live hot. My load line goes to the plug so I can run voltage checks or see how it dims a lamp. I also wanted a spot to plug load for safety reasons and not always having a wire nut around. Just more safety than anything. I'm glad you guys like it.

mnsandler , you should really hook up a ground on your setup

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

I was wondering why you needed the spring terminals. Then I remembered that the Insteon switches have built in pig tails.
                  Almost all smart switches tend to come with "pig tails". I could factory reset five switches in a quick period.

Comment

This is a great project for anything including configuring ZWave devices that need to be close to the SmartStick to exclude them if bought used.

So far I've been using wire clips and crossing everything I can cross that I don't zap myself!

I'll post what mine looks like when I get it done. Hoping to map it out, dremell it and get it at least started by this week.

Without Radio Shack (which would have been just one trip) I had to gather parts from EBay, Mouser, Amazon, you name it. I did get some fancy lights so I may throw in a few bells an whistles including maybe a switchable built in Load go I don't have to go digging for a drop lamp or something to complete the circuit.

Thanks again for such a great idea!

Comment

Working...
                    X