Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claude View Post
    Pandemic, Insteon drying up - man, I won't sleep tonight
    Pretty sure you are over-reacting. Nobody said Insteon is going away. The issue I think is that Insteon is a proprietary single sourced product. Z-Wave, Zigbee, and others are at least multiply sourced if not open sourced too. Diversity of manufacturers certainly provides a lot of security knowing no one company can kill off an entire class of products like Z-Wave for instance. However if Smart Labs gets sold or goes out of business for some reason we would all be in some trouble with Insteon. Which is why I run a HomeSeer controller rather than an Insteon controller. It gives me a lot of flexibility. Right now I have X-10, Insteon, Z-Wave, and some TP-Link gear all controlled by HS3 on a Zee S2. Of course HomeSeer is yet another company that is single sourced and has maybe three employees, so here we go again...

Comment

Originally posted by allenc3 View Post

Pretty sure you are over-reacting. Nobody said Insteon is going away. The issue I think is that Insteon is a proprietary single sourced product. Z-Wave, Zigbee, and others are at least multiply sourced if not open sourced too. Diversity of manufacturers certainly provides a lot of security knowing no one company can kill off an entire class of products like Z-Wave for instance. However if Smart Labs gets sold or goes out of business for some reason we would all be in some trouble with Insteon. Which is why I run a HomeSeer controller rather than an Insteon controller. It gives me a lot of flexibility. Right now I have X-10, Insteon, Z-Wave, and some TP-Link gear all controlled by HS3 on a Zee S2. Of course HomeSeer is yet another company that is single sourced and has maybe three employees, so here we go again...
      Right. Years ago I did work for a company called Polaris Telemetry that did security and automation over Ethernet. They had it right, but the management was, in my opinion, "iffy". Anyway, in my view they never reached their potential. I suspect that Zwave, Zigbee and Insteon are all interim solutions. HomeSeer is a great product. I've only been a user for a few months but I am very impressed. That being said I would prefer an open source TCP/IP option if one were available.

Comment

Working...
      X