This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB PLM or Serial PLM with adapter?

I accidentally bought the Insteon Serial PLM instead of the USB version. I don't have a serial port. Am I better off buying the USB version or using a USB to Serial Adapter to make it compatible with my computer?

I want the most reliable solution (the one that works best with this plugin) that is compatible with my computer. I have a micro PC.

Originally posted by mgonzales100 View Post
    I accidentally bought the Insteon Serial PLM instead of the USB version. I don't have a serial port. Am I better off buying the USB version or using a USB to Serial Adapter to make it compatible with my computer?

I want the most reliable solution (the one that works best with this plugin) that is compatible with my computer. I have a micro PC.
    How about the Insteon Portable USB Adapter? Will that work too?

Comment

The usb plm basically has a serial to usb adapter built in. so an outboard adapter will do the same. I guess if you want to save a few bucks, return the 2413s and get the 2413U

don't bother with the portable usb adapter; its been discontinued for years.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        The usb plm basically has a serial to usb adapter built in. so an outboard adapter will do the same. I guess if you want to save a few bucks, return the 2413s and get the 2413U

don't bother with the portable usb adapter; its been discontinued for years.
        Sorry to chime in, I had few spare plm, one serial and the other usb. When I had the issue with my pml, I was thinking to replace it with USB but a Google search indicated that you were going to remove it from the plug in, I may have read it wrong perhaps. If in the future I need to replace it, can I use the USB instead and is suggested over the serial?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by alphatech View Post
          Sorry to chime in, I had few spare plm, one serial and the other usb. When I had the issue with my pml, I was thinking to replace it with USB but a Google search indicated that you were going to remove it from the plug in, I may have read it wrong perhaps. If in the future I need to replace it, can I use the USB instead and is suggested over the serial?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
          i support the 2413u and 2413s PLMs. you can use either. I removed support for the old PLC
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark, very much appreciated you taking so much time to help. I guess the powerlinc V2 USB 2414U is well supported, if you do not have time to respond, I assume it is.

Thanks again for all your work

Comment

are you referring to https://www.smarthome.com/powerlinc-...interface.html

if so, yah, i dropped support for that years ago.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

That is indeed it. So I guess it is trash.
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X