X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange behaviour of KeypadLinc switches

Hi all,

I have been using Insteon dimmer switches and this plugin for many years and everything has worked perfectly.

I recently added some keypadlinc dimmer switches and I am noticing some odd behaviour and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or could offer an explanation as to why this is:

I should note that I am using the plugin to control the LED behind the individual keypadlinc buttons and I have the option "sync responder devices" off, for all my devices.

I am able to control an individual button LED by using the plugin to turn it on, however, if I use the plugin to send a series of "control a device" on commands, one after the other, with each command instructing the keypadlinc to turn on a button LED, then as each command arrives at the switch and the LED turns on, some of the previously lit LED's on other buttons turn off. This also seems to occur of any insteon command was just sent out (not just a command sent to the same keypadlinc).

I have also observed that this behaviour only occurs if the commands are sent one after the other. If I wait around one minute between each command, then the button LED's turn on as expected. It's almost as if the bit stream of commands coming in succession are confusing the switch.

I am a long term user of Homeseer and Insteon but I don't have programming or technical knowledge but I assume the Homeseer events add insteon commands to some kind of queue or buffer and then they are sent out via the hub. I am wondering if there could be some feature where we could get a user setting to allow us to control the pause between which insteon commands are sent?

Any comments would be appreciated as I find this behaviour quite puzzling. I currently have my system working the way I want, by using my workaround of inserting wait commands in my events, before trying to control a keypadlinc button LED

Yah, sending a bunch of individual commands one after another to a kpl can be problematic. i wont go into the detail.

anyways, there is a better/faster way to do this...

i would suggest creating insteon groups (within the plugin) to control multiple kpl btns in one command. you can turn buttons on and off by including them in the group.

so you would create a number of groups for your use cases, and then just turn on the group device like you would a device from the event action

post back a screen shot of the event actions and group definition if you are still having troubles

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thank you for your quick response. I thought of using groups but I was not sure if that would create links within the switches - in other words can I used a plugin group but not have those buttons linked when physically pressed? I guess I'm asking if a plugin group is different from an insteon scene link?

Comment

You mention above not going into detail and it's not important if you don't have time but could you give a quick one-line explanation as to why the successive commands confuse the switch. I/m only asking out of pure interest/curiosity - is it the bit stream that confuses the switches? Is it a switch firmware bug?

Comment

Originally posted by melkin View Post
          Thank you for your quick response. I thought of using groups but I was not sure if that would create links within the switches - in other words can I used a plugin group but not have those buttons linked when physically pressed? I guess I'm asking if a plugin group is different from an insteon scene link?
          groups are the same as scenes. groups are controlled from the plugin/interface. dont add a controller device when creating them. physically pressing a kpl button is a different operation, that can behave differently.

you don't use links to control one button from another. this is an internal kpl function that the plugin supports via radio groups and combining btns.

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by melkin View Post
            You mention above not going into detail and it's not important if you don't have time but could you give a quick one-line explanation as to why the successive commands confuse the switch. I/m only asking out of pure interest/curiosity - is it the bit stream that confuses the switches? Is it a switch firmware bug?
            the problem is sending all those kpl btn commands quickly generate a lot of ACKs that confuses the plugin. so the plugin may respond to one command with the wrong ACK.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
            X