New to Insteon Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Insteon Frustration

I have been using Z-Wave and Zigbee for a very long time. Originally I had a lot of X10. When Z-Wave started to really came out many years ago, and Insteon first came out, I went the Z-Wave route due to the frustration of X10 and thought Insteon would be frustrating as well, as it's legacy somewhat came from X10. I've moved a few times and always went with Z-Wave and Zigbee.

Now, we recently moved to a new home that the prior owners had setup some Insteon wall switches. Instead of replacing them with Z-Wave switches. I figured I would see if I could get the Insteon devices to work with HomeSeer with mnsandler's plugin. The prior owners left a 2242-222 HUB REV 2.0, which I have connected to the Plugin. It is directly plugged into a power outlet (not ups). I get logs showing the plugin is talking with the hub. I did a factory reset of the unit and also did the reset and reprogram interface.

Now, the issue is, when I go to the manage device page of the plugin and do the tab-add new Insteon device, I get the following in the logs:

10/9/2020 9:39:27 PM Legacy-Plugin Insteon Transmit failed to device Unknown Tap-Added Dual-Band LampLinc 0 (23.75.33) for cmd 00 00 00 23 75 33 1A 2E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 D2 after 5 tries.
    10/9/2020 9:38:35 PMLegacy-Plugin Insteon Calling AddRecord for 23.75.33 1 True
    10/9/2020 9:38:35 PMLegacy-Plugin Insteon Scheduled polling temporarily stopped.
    10/9/2020 9:38:35 PMLegacy-Plugin Insteon Attempting to add Device 23.75.33
    10/9/2020 9:38:35 PMLegacy-Plugin Insteon Set tap add job data: Name:Tap-Added Dual-Band LampLinc 0 Type:010E Firmware:41
    10/9/2020 9:38:35 PMLegacy-Plugin Insteon Considering link complete as a tap-add request from device 23.75.33 (Dual-Band LampLinc)
    I have tried four wall switches and one plug-in module. All do the same thing.

I am on the Linux version of Homeseer and just updated to the most recent version. I would like to buy this plugin if I can get the Insteon switches to work, to save a few bucks on replacing with Z-Wave switches. I have tried different plugs and moved the wall plugin around (only have one). I don't have any type of power line adapters that would cause noise on the line and tried plugs on both legs.

Also, I know that four of the devices talk with each other, as there is a wall scene controller that was setup and was working before I reset everything trying to add them to the hub, so I know that the switches can communicate between each other. I also see device ID's in the log when trying to tab-add. I have also tried manually adding with the same exact results.

Anyway, if anyone has some idea of what might be causing this, I'd appreciate some guidance. I don't know if there is some device missing or something in the hub. If I can't get it going before the plugin trial expires, I will just switch them out, which I would rather not.

Can you check in the mains (power) control box, there may be something in there. Or even better is to remove all the devices in question and test them on a bench (tool room) work space by adding one by one to HomeSeer.

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

can you register any of them manually by entering the insteon id?
      Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
      Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        can you register any of them manually by entering the insteon id?
        No, I’ve tried manually as well and unfortunately get the same results.

It’s definitely frustrating and if I have to pull them to test them, like Eman suggested, I will just replace them with Z-Wave, so trying to not go down that route but really starting to look like that may be the route. I was hoping to get the one plugin working since It is the only one not hardwired.

Comment

can you enabled detailed logging in the plugin, and then try the manual add again, then post the hs log snippet of the transaction

you could try a factory reset on the switches, and maybe even a reset and reprogram on the hub on the hub (via the plugin)

Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting

Comment

So, after I turned on detailed logging, seeing timeouts, I upped the retries, hops, etc. to the max. I eventually got three of the 7 or so devices to manually add and they now can be controlled by your plugin/homeseer. So at this point, with three, the price for the plugin is at least worth spending the money on, as it is cheaper than replacing the two switches (I don't care about the plugin module). I will be paying it in the next day or two even if I can't get the others to work, as your responsive support has been great.

This isn't to say I won't need some more support and need to send the details to you. At this point, it looks like a lot of no response timeouts from the devices and the reliability seem to be below 50% on the three I now have working. No hops. I wonder if the motors from the pool might be cause issues??? Outside of that, I can't think of anything that would be noisy and one would hope the RF would work since all the devices are dual-band RF.

Just a side note, in about the same amount of hours spent trying to add Insteon to Homeseer, I've added 11 zigbee devices, 6 Z-Wave devices, integrated an alarm system and rewired it completely.

If I still can't get the remaining switches linked, I'll do the detailed logging and post it.

Comment

Maybe one of the switches is creating noise on the network. You might try pulling out the set button on all but one of the switches. That puts an air gap between the switch and your power lines. Then try to add that switch to the plugin. Keep doing that until you can't add a new switch. The one you can't add is then the one that's probably faulty.

Comment

Glad you got it working. I'll be interested to see the log for the recent transactions. Noisy devices like motors can flood the powerline to the PLM which makes it difficult to receive RF messages.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Working...
                X