Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krumpy
    replied
    Failure has not been in mass quantity. Usually one here and one there. I originally had like 90 insteon devices. Maybe about 5-10 switchlinc's have died, and a few keypadlincs.

Keep in mind these are old from around late 2008. One of my switchlincs that failed are v3.3 ... I did buy a bunch ($3500 worth) together. I'll check version numbers. They are close to 12 years old. Which usually seems old, but we can't replace all of our smart switches every 5-10 years. That is crazy expensive... I have original X10 switches at my parents house that are close to 40 years old.

I don't think that it is due to lightning strikes. But a few could be. Would discount it. Good idea on the insurance. But with deductible, not sure if it is worth it.

AC voltage is 119v. But there could be noise. I may try to take one of the failed units to a different house and see how it behaves. I bet the same.

Loads are incandescent and some LED's.

They usually don't come back.

Don't answer to communication.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Burrington
    replied
    I have to second what mrceolla said above. I have more than 200 insteon devices in two different locations and have never experienced the type of failure you described. In fact they have all been very reliable. I've had very few failures, and most of those were self-inflicted such as a bad cfl bulb blowing the power triac in a lamp dimmer module (which I replaced and put back in service).

In addition to the lightning thought above, I would ask:

1) do you have high or low ac voltage?
    2) what specific type of devices are failing?
    3) what loads are on the failed devices (incandescent, CFL, LED, or motor)?
    4) do the devices ever come back to life or do they fail once and stay that way?
    5) once failed, do the devices still respond to the Insteon plugin - ie do they answer a comm test?

Leave a comment:

• mrceolla
    replied
    Hmm, have you had any nearby lightning strikes around when this all started happening? Having "many" act up seems unusual to me. I don't want to jinx myself, but so far I've only had old Icon dimmers die on me (knock on wood). They were the budget Insteon switch many, many years ago. I still have many in use.

If you can somehow link this to lightning nearby, insurance should cover replacement of any failed electronics. Happened to me with some electronics earlier this year. I lost 1 IOLinc in that storm, and some other non-Insteon equipment. Oddly my insurance didn't ask many questions. Perhaps they have a way of looking up lightning strike locations and knew I was telling the truth. Even still they didn't ask for proof of my failed devices, except for the dishwasher.

If it wasn't lightning, did you buy all of these at around the same time? Perhaps there was a bad batch and the bulk of yours are from that batch? If so, Smarthome may work with you on replacements. Version and revision numbers on the switch will tell them if yours are from a bad batch.

If none of those, I wonder if your power is dirty or has high spikes. Your experience just doesn't coincide with mine in terms of device longevity.

That's all I got.

Leave a comment:

• Krumpy
    started a topic Insteon Devices Dying

Insteon Devices Dying

Ok not expecting any magical pixy dust. Slowly many of my Insteon devices are starting to act up. I am confident that this is not a driver issue but posting here as I am sure others have run into this. Many of my Insteon devices are generation 2 or 3 and essentially the lightbar will flicker up and then go off. The load usually may ramp up as well, but many times after a while the load doesn't even turn on anymore. Hardware reset and other methods including disconnecting the load doesn't change anything.

I am guessing that it is the power supply circuitry inside of the switchlinc and keypadlinc.

Anyone (I am sure) have had these experiences? Any resolution?

I really don't want to buy new Insteon equipment. If there is a way to fix it then I may consider it.

Thanks!
Working...
X