Motion Sensor II showing battery is full and Low Batt warning at same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor II showing battery is full and Low Batt warning at same time

The Low Battery Warning device flipped to On on 1/20/2021. The Battery device has been receiving updates (timestamp changing) but reads Full.

This caused me to check my other 2 Motion Sensor IIs and I observed all 3 of them say "Full" for the battery device. I find this hard to believe.

I thought this used to work but maybe I'm mistaken. Can anyone else confirm if their MSII battery devices are reporting something other than "Full"?

I'm running Insteon plugin version 3.0.7.2
    HomeSeer 3, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Smart Speakers, Foscam cameras, Amcrest camera, RCA HSDB2a doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

I have 4 full, 3 good, and 1 low. The low one is NOT showing Low Battery Warning yet. I'll wait until it does, to see if the two are really bound together, or (as you and I both suspect) the Low Battery Warning is set off by stray neutrinos or the whims of the Fates or something....

Jim Speiser
    35-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

Comment

I don't think it is a stray or incorrect Low Battery warning because the LED blinks yellow instead of green when it detects motion. That means the device thinks the battery is low, correct? So my concern is that the battery device is incorrectly showing Full. I'm getting this log entry upon receiving the heartbeat:

Device Upper Kitchen Insteon Motion Sensor II (4D.C8.B8) sent a heartbeat: Battery=Full, Temp=59.6, Light=111

(I've never calibrated the temp, it's not really that cold).

Edit:

I went back to look at 1/20/2021 when the low batt warning turned on and saw this
      Jan-20 9:41:39 AM Insteon Device Upper Kitchen Insteon Motion Sensor II (4D.C8.B8) sent a low battery message.
      Jan-20 9:41:38 AM Insteon Device Upper Kitchen Insteon Motion Sensor II (4D.C8.B8) sent a heartbeat: Battery=Replace, Temp=58.9, Light=211
      I then filtered to look at just the heartbeat messages for that one motion sensor, and the above is the only instance where Battery=Replace, and the only instance where I see the low battery message was sent. All of the other heartbeats go back and forth between Full and Good.

I'm thoroughly confused. Does this device have a separate low battery message, or does it turn on that device whenever the heartbeat says Battery=Replace?

I could understand a glitch in the heartbeat message leading it to display Replace just that one time even though the battery was really fine, but then what to make of the yellow LED flash?
      HomeSeer 3, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Smart Speakers, Foscam cameras, Amcrest camera, RCA HSDB2a doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Working...
      X