X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 Redux

Hi Mark,

I have to configure another X10 device, and it's been so long that the procedure has slipped my mind.

It is a device that I originally defined in the HS3 Devices page, rather than the Plug-In page. I ran the Update X10 Devices button from the Plug In Configuration page. (I don't know what exactly that's supposed to do.) My goal is to be able to see the device in my PI Manage Devices list, so that I can include it in groups.

Enable X10 is checked.

On the Advanced tab of the HS Device Configuration module, the Device Type is "Insteon X10", and the Interface is "Insteon."

What have I left out?

Current Date/Time: 2/13/2021 6:50:22 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Work Station
    System Uptime: 3 Days 20 Hours 46 Minutes 37 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.9.121
    Number of Devices: 289
    Number of Events: 116
    Available Threads: 600
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 1
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender
    In Virtual Machine: No MFG: gigabyte technology co., ltd.
    Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.71: EasyTrigger
    3.0.7.1: Insteon Thermostat
    3.0.7.19: Insteon
    1.0.0.354: MagicHome
    1.2020.705.1301: MyQ

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

X10 can’t be included in Insteon groups. X10 devices won’t show up in the plug-in. Manage them from the
    hs device page. There is an Insteon tab with settings.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      X10 can’t be included in Insteon groups. X10 devices won’t show up in the plug-in. Manage them from the
      hs device page. There is an Insteon tab with settings.
      So, the effect of Update X10 Devices is basically to enable HS to "see" the devices, and set up controls for them? At which point, the plug-in effectively abdicates all responsibility for them? Or is it still providing the protocol (the "translation") in the background? I'm just trying to see the value of including an X10 procedure in the Plugin, since Insteon already "speaks" X10 natively.

I apologize for hitting you with this ancient technology when you're probably in the middle of some heavy HS4 work, but there are still some of us out here with "old reliable". Now, if you'll excuse me, my BetaMax is flashing 12:00AM.....

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

Jim,
        the Update X10 Devices routine runs a one-time update to associate any existing x10 hs devices with the Insteon plugin. This allows the plugin to process commands and messages related to that x10 device.

if you need to create new x10 devices in HS3, use the hs device mgmt page to create a new device, and then use the Insteon tab to Save as Insteon X10 so the plugin can control it.

I have to tell you I'm really on the fence about supporting x10 in my HS4 Insteon plugin. not sure of the ROI at this point
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          Jim,
          the Update X10 Devices routine runs a one-time update to associate any existing x10 hs devices with the Insteon plugin. This allows the plugin to process commands and messages related to that x10 device.

if you need to create new x10 devices in HS3, use the hs device mgmt page to create a new device, and then use the Insteon tab to Save as Insteon X10 so the plugin can control it.

I have to tell you I'm really on the fence about supporting x10 in my HS4 Insteon plugin. not sure of the ROI at this point
          And I'm staying away from HS4 until I see a compelling reason to switch. If I do make the switch, I'll just bite the bullet and replace my (very few) X10 devices. I was the last guy to switch to Windows from DOS. I was the last guy to start buying CDs to replace my cassettes, and the last guy to break the cable habit and go with streaming. (Still not sure I made the right decision on that!) My current LG5 is my first smartphone. It's not tecnophobia, it's just if it ain't broke don't fix it. (And I really don't have a BetaMax....never did, in fact).

Anyway, thanks for your help.

PS: I'm kinda surprised you're still supporting Insteon! The way it's been going lately, not sure what its future is. But stay with it!

PPS: I think I will simply delete and re-create the X10 device the right way, and see what happens.

Jim Speiser
          Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
          X