X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switchlinc 2nd tap (not double tap)

Hi Mark,

A search found nothing on this issue except an old Smarthome post (2011).

Environment
    • 2 switchlincs in a 3-way configuration, all FW: 45
    • Insteon Hub, Firmware 1015, PLMFW A3
    • Insteon 3.0.7.1
    Issue
    • On the master (load), tapping the paddle once brings both switchlincs to their programmed On levels; tapping the master (load) paddle again brings both switchlincs to 100%
    • On the slave unit, tapping the paddle once brings both switchlincs to their programmed On levels; but tapping the slave paddle again only brings the slave to 100% while the master remains unchanged
    I 'detailed traced' the whole process (attached) and realize the plug-in treats the second tap differently when coming from the slave.

Why is that?
    Attached Files

Hey claude,

the response between the controller and responder switches is based on the link settings. programmed on-levels are are only used locally, not in links.

a second tap on, will send the same link data to the responder.

make sure the link settings between the two devices are the same if you want them to behave the same.

post pics of the links if you have further questions

ps. lets use primary/secondary or controller/responder when referring to switches in a 3-way
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Attached are the links of both devices. They seem identical. Yet a second tap on the responder (non load 57.76.0A) results in a different behaviour than a second tap on the controller (load 57.63.20.
      Attached Files

Comment

i think the switches are working as designed. when you tap the secondary switch a second time, it sends the same broadcast msg to the primary (30% in your case). since the primary is already at 30% from the first tap, its not going to change.

with both switches off, what happens to the primary when you double tap on the secondary?
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

You mention 'double tap'. Just to be clear, my situation is rather 'tap, wait 1-2 seconds, tap'. The expected behaviour is that the first tap will bring the switchlinc to its programmed On level (30% in my case); the second tap should bring the switchlinc to 100%. Both switchlincs being cross linked, the expected behavior would be that operating any of the two switchlincs will result in the same behaviour.

With both switches off:
          Case #1, operating the switchlinc that has the load connected to it - On the primary (load), tapping the paddle once brings both switchlincs to their programmed On levels; tapping the primary (load) paddle again 1-2 seconds later brings both switchlincs to 100% - OK

Case #2 - On the secondary unit, tapping the paddle once brings both switchlincs to their programmed On levels; but tapping the secondary paddle again 1-2 seconds later only brings the secondary to 100% while the primary remains unchanged - Not OK

Comment

I have a couple 3-way setups, and I'm puzzled by your Case #1. That's not my experience. Case #2 is my experience with both the primary and secondary. I use events to achieve your Case #1 for both devices.

For me, double-tapping at either location brings both devices to full.
            HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
            Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
              I have a couple 3-way setups, and I'm puzzled by your Case #1. That's not my experience. Case #2 is my experience with both the primary and secondary. I use events to achieve your Case #1 for both devices.

Claude,

I just ran a test on one of my 3-way setups and my results are consistent with Mike's. This is working as designed: a single tap is always going to send the same On broadcast msg to other responders. I only mention double-tap because that is the only way to get both switches to go full on.

when you single tap a switchlinc, or basically sends an On cmd to the other responders; there is no indication of the on-level at that time. the responders turn on based on the link data.

check to make sure you dont have an action affecting your Case #1 above.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post

See my previous post "... Just to be clear, my situation is rather 'tap, wait 1-2 seconds, tap' ....". A double tap is when you tap the paddle within less than .5 sec of the first tap, two different outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                  "... Just to be clear, my situation is rather 'tap, wait 1-2 seconds, tap' ....". A double tap is when you tap the paddle within less than .5 sec of the first tap, two different outcomes.
                  I don't want to speak for Mark, but I understand that. My use case is the same. My default on level is not 100%.
                  HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
                  Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Working...
                  X