This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Insteon devices be linked for ON, but not OFF

Mark, is it possible to link a motion sensor to turn ON a light switch, but not turn it OFF when it times out? I would like to link the sensor directly so the light turns ON fast. But I still want HS to make all the decisions to turn it off (security, variable timeouts, alarm conditions, etc). Some of my motion sensors make several hops to get to the PLM, so there is some delay before the light turns ON via HS events.

the answer is yes. use occupancy II mode on the new motion sensors. for the older units, you can enable the Send On Only.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I'm curious how you get by without events for the Motion/On trigger. What if it's daytime and still bright out? What if you're away and it's just your cat/dog? I now have motion sensors in every room, of various types. Fast reaction-time is important when walking into a dark room so I'm always looking for ways to improve that.
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
        ...What if you're away and it's just your cat/dog?...
        Just an off topic side note...
        I have mine set to turn on room lights if we are away and the dog(s) trigger a motion sensor in that room. My hope is that makes it look to a would be burgler like the house is occupied.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

Just an off topic side note...
          I have mine set to turn on room lights if we are away and the dog(s) trigger a motion sensor in that room. My hope is that makes it look to a would be burgler like the house is occupied.
          I use BLOccupied for that.
          HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
          Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
            the answer is yes. use occupancy II mode on the new motion sensors. for the older units, you can enable the Send On Only.
            Hadn't considered that option. I'll try it - thanks!

Comment

I'm curious how you get by without events for the Motion/On trigger. What if it's daytime and still bright out? What if you're away and it's just your cat/dog? I now have motion sensors in every room, of various types. Fast reaction-time is important when walking into a dark room so I'm always looking for ways to improve that.
              You can use the motion sensor's internal night mode so it doesn't send an ON when the room is bright enough. I don't have pets, so don't have that problem, but I would think you could do it by aiming the sensor higher, or blocking the lower part of the window so it doesn't see the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post

You can use the motion sensor's internal night mode so it doesn't send an ON when the room is bright enough. I don't have pets, so don't have that problem, but I would think you could do it by aiming the sensor higher, or blocking the lower part of the window so it doesn't see the floor.
                I was aware of the night mode option, but doesn't that prevent it from sensing motion for security purposes during the day?

Comment

I was aware of the night mode option, but doesn't that prevent it from sensing motion for security purposes during the day?
                  Yes. If you're using it for security as well, that wouldn't work...

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post

Yes. If you're using it for security as well, that wouldn't work...
                    Thank you for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                    X