This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two devices are linked once in a while they aren't in sync with each other

I have been using Insteon since the beginning and as the topic states once in a while when turning off one switch the remote switch will stay on, or if I linked a regular switch to a Keypadlinc, when I turn off the switch once in a while the Keypadlinc button stays on when it should go off. Is there a way to make sure that they are always in sync. My signal strength is very high (upper 90's), but it is a pain when the 2 switches aren't synced.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Steve

do you have the "sync linked responder devices' option enabled on both switches within the plugin
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Yes they are both enabled:

I have both checked on all devices:

Sync linked responder devices Checked​

Do not auto-sync keypad buttons NOT Checked​
      Sync device attributes with HS Checked​

What I noticed is your software seems to work fine and will update the web page. My issue seems to be a missed communication issue between the 2 switches when one switch is pressed. It doesn't matter which (the master of slave). Would you recommend an event that would update the status of the 2 switches if one is displaying On and one is displaying off? If so, what do you think would be the best way to always keep these in sync.

FYI I am using HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by skozin View Post
        My issue seems to be a missed communication issue between the 2 switches when one switch is pressed.
        I believe you are correct. Sounds like you have a device causing noise on the powerline causing these intermittent issues. You'd be better off solving that problem vs creating events to try to solve it, because you'll end up having to send extra commands whether you need them or not. Because HS thinks the switch/button is in the correct state when it actually isn't you'll have no way to tell when the extra command is needed.

"Would you recommend an event that would update the status of the 2 switches if one is displaying On and one is displaying off?"

If you're saying the web page always shows the correct, actual, out of sync state of the buttons when this issue occurs, then what I said above is probably wrong. My assumption is your problem is with local control, you've created links between these devices, and since HS is aware of those links, the UI always shows these buttons in sync even if the devices themselves are out of sync.

I thought "Sync linked responder devices" was only used when controlling a device via HS (including Google Home, Alexa, or anything else connected to HS), and not local control, but based on Mark's earlier post, I may be wrong. Either way, noise could cause this feature to occasionally fail as well.
        HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
        Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I thought "Sync linked responder devices" was only used when controlling a device via HS
          that's correct.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post

I believe you are correct. Sounds like you have a device causing noise on the powerline causing these intermittent issues. You'd be better off solving that problem vs creating events to try to solve it, because you'll end up having to send extra commands whether you need them or not. Because HS thinks the switch/button is in the correct state when it actually isn't you'll have no way to tell when the extra command is needed.

"Would you recommend an event that would update the status of the 2 switches if one is displaying On and one is displaying off?"

If you're saying the web page always shows the correct, actual, out of sync state of the buttons when this issue occurs, then what I said above is probably wrong. My assumption is your problem is with local control, you've created links between these devices, and since HS is aware of those links, the UI always shows these buttons in sync even if the devices themselves are out of sync.

I thought "Sync linked responder devices" was only used when controlling a device via HS (including Google Home, Alexa, or anything else connected to HS), and not local control, but based on Mark's earlier post, I may be wrong. Either way, noise could cause this feature to occasionally fail as well.
            The web page always shows the correct position of the switch which is the Master and by using the sync devices it will make the slave switch the same as the Master. To my knowledge, if I uncheck the "sync Devices" then usually the Master will be correct and the slave will be incorrect if the communication is messed up. I will have to double check that the next time it happens.

The good news is it happens maybe less that 5% of the time, but it is a pain in the a__! since the reliability should be closer to 100% of the time. Bad WAF!!!!!!

Comment

I'm still unclear how you are controlling them when the problem happens. Are you pressing the physical buttons, using voice, an app? More than one way?

I too have very rare comm failures on a few devices despite my efforts to find and filter noise makers. Fortunately the consequences for me are relatively insignificant, but I could see an out of sync KPL button being irritating because now you have to tap twice. Regardless of your answer to the above, your problem is likely noise. Depending on your answer to the above, I might have an idea that could help.

If you haven't read up on filters and finding problematic noise makers yet, I would definitely recommend it. There are threads here and on the smarthome.com forum. My not-even-running Samsung cloths washer was a surprising culprit for me.
              HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
              Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
                I'm still unclear how you are controlling them when the problem happens. Are you pressing the physical buttons, using voice, an app? More than one way?
                I am pressing the physical buttons on the switches. For example I have a 2477s On/Off Switch and a 8 button Keypadlinc. When I press the 2477s either on or off, once in a while the Keypadlinc Button A won't mimic the 2477s. Like I said it is usually less than 5% of the time when this happens.

I know it is noise somewhere, the problem is I have put in range extenders everywhere to improve the connection, but to increase the Comm Reliability % from 96% upward, I don't think that is going to help. I could understand if the percentage was in the 70's or 80's, but the upper 90's should not have these issues.

That is why I was thinking of making an event or script to update the switch if it doesn't respond correctly.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the stats you see are results of HS to device, or device to HS communication. In your scenario, you should've cross-linked the switch and button and in that case the communication path that matters is device to device. HS will see the command and update itself accordingly, but does not send out a command to sync the other device.

For reasons I do not understand, it seems power line noise can still cause occasional miscommunication even with the dual-band devices. I too have high percentages but still get the rare failure. I would highly recommend buying some filters and reading up on where to place them. Even if you're not getting tons of failures, filters can help speed up the Insteon network by reducing hops and retries.

Comment

Mrceolla:

Thanks for your advice. I have range extenders all through the house. I have talked to Smarthome in the past and all they say is to get the extenders. I even went into the electrical panel and switched the fuse over to the other side of the bus bar and still have issues with a few switches. It is sometimes very hard to find the noise since I have so many Low voltage devices.

Comment

The range extenders (not SignalLincs) appear to be basically dual-band LampLincs with no load control. My house is full of dual-band devices and I still received benefit from filtering some things. Just sayin'. Of course I do still have some power line only devices in service, so that doesn't help, but they're surrounded by dual-band devices. In theory all that RF coverage should be enough, but apparently it isn't. One person's thought was that there was sometimes too much power line noise that the device was trying to process that it couldn't process the RF message. I also think many Insteon messages happening at the same time or close together can increase the likelihood of a missed message.

Yes, it can be very difficult to find the problematic devices. I'm no expert since I apparently still have a few unfiltered problematic devices of my own. I think I'll go look for them now.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the light bulb load itself can introduce noise. I experience more frequent failures when my 80ft of incandescent rope light is on at 60%, for example. Also, I replaced some incandescent light bulbs that would buzz a little when dimmed with ones that didn't. This too seemed to help.

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X